Henry Mountains Camping

OpeningDay

Hello,
I am planning a trip to the Henry's in 2 weeks. I would like to camp at Mcmillan Springs campground on the West Side of Ellen. Does anyone know if I can get my 28" camp trailer in there? Any info on the road conditions would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions on places to camp?? Just taking the family on a little camp trip to see some deer. Thanks in advance for any info.

I hope someone with better experience there can give you more direction than I can.

I was there in July 2014. Camped at McMillan Springs in a tent. There were some trailers there at that time, but I don't think any of them were near 28'. I spoke to a guy at one of them that was an older 5th wheel. He was pretty proud they made it in there, even said the DWR officer had been by and said it was the biggest trailer he'd ever seen make it in there. Seems your concern is well warranted. I did not drive out on that dirt road to the west/north so I don't know what condition its in this time of year. We drove out on the east side, same way as we came in.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I wanted you to know that your concern is at least valid.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

You wouldn't of Wanted to Drag a 28'er in there Last Fall after a 3" Rain Storm!:D

When the Weather doesn't Prevent it & The Roads are put back to Normal not saying you can't do it!

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

The river bed will be the hardest part to get through. If you can make it past that, you should be good.

Personally I would never pull a camper that was not a beater in there.
The last couple miles up the hill to Mcmillan are rough and steep. There are a couple spots before the turn down in the cedars where I would camp if pulling in a trailer.

Openingday,
Keep in mind that the archery deer hunt will be going on when you are down there. I am guessing there will be a bunch of archers already in the best camping spots.
Just sayin.

Thanks for the responses guys. Not that my trailer is a Cadillac, but I still wouldnt want to tear it up. I was also thinking I could find something out on Coyote Benches, but that makes for quite a ride to get up on Ellen. I guess there just isnt anything easy when it comes to the famed Henry's. I am still open to any suggestions on camp spots. For now, I will be looking from the air via Google Earth. Thanks again.

Back in the day when we hunted it every year, if it got wet it was too damn slick for trailers and my old hunting trailer still bears the scars from that very route.

Do what you want but sliding one off the road into the rocks is no walk in the park and might be very expensive.

Zeke

Ok. I think when it comes to Mcmillan it is either pack the tent or find another place. What about the Lonesome Beaver Campground area?? That road looks pretty smooth. Worst case we find something along that road on the way up.

Lonesome Beaver would work, lot of rock in the road makes it a little bumpy but plenty of traction. I would recommend Eagle Bench, just up past the air strip. The mine boys keep that road in pretty good shape.

Hahha. Soj51. Im thinking its getting too big for me. Cant get this beast anywhere that doesnt have a pool and plugins. I'm tired of running the air conditioner. haha

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-16 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]Took mine in just below McMillan last fall for bison hunt. Lost a rear bumper and both back stabilizer jacks. It's 31' with a spring over... good luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-16
>AT 01:23?PM (MST)

>
>Took mine in just below McMillan
>last fall for bison hunt.
>Lost a rear bumper and
>both back stabilizer jacks. It's
>31' with a spring over...
>good luck.

So Lynn?

How'd you do on the Bison Hunt?

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

Even Lonesome beaver is tough for a 28'rv if you have normal clearance. That stream crossing with a turn just below the campground doesn't cooperate well. We drag 12' open trailer tail ends through that crossing.

>Hahha. Soj51. Im thinking
>its getting too big for
>me. Cant get this
>beast anywhere that doesnt have
>a pool and plugins. I'm
>tired of running the air
>conditioner. haha

You may have missed my point of the joke. You stated you have a 28 " INCH trailer.

Soj51. I gotcha now. I see my mistake. damn shift key. haha.

Hopefully I can get some pictures of the majestic beasts of the Henry's for all of you guys to enjoy. Thanks again for the advise on camp spots

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom