high country units

txjp

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-10 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]I am going to hunt Colorado for the fist time this year and am looking at units 43,54,74,481. I am planning a backpack hunt for about 5-6 days archery. I would love to here anything good or bad about any of these units. I have no points. I am in good shape and thinking about 5-8 miles in.

just general info not asking for secret spot

thanks

74 is a good place. You can find the type of hunting you are looking for. 5-8 miles would be a load in the San's.

Most high alpine hunts have relatively few deer and lots of country. Be ready to cover lots and lots of country with legs and eyes to find the few pockets that hold bucks. Awesome country...but be prepared that you may not see a whole lot of deer!

74 has been good, but I have a friend who lives just north of Durango and he has had 2 ft of snow in his fields for the last two months and it has stayed cold! I would check with the local DOW about winter kill on deer before using a lot of points on 74 next fall.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Unit 43 is a great unit if you want "high country"! I haven't seen any good bucks in this unit, not to say that they aren't there, just haven't seen any. I usually bowhunt elk in this unit and have seen some good bulls. Be prepared to hunt some steep country here! 5-8 miles in would be good and put you mostly alone during bow season depending on the area and dates you're there. Being "in shape" is a relative term! Being in the best shape of your life is the only way to hunt this unit! If you're coming from a low elevation, it will help you acclimate quicker but moving around up there will be painfully taxing to your body. Don't measure your success by whether or not you arrow anything and you will have a great time! Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-10 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO

txhunter58: i will look in to that thanks

hunter_59: i maybe should have been more detailed. I train all year for the backcountry hunting. In 43 do you see alot of hikers? Has that been a problem? thanks.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom