Homemade...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...apizza Tues. last night. A thin, crispy crust with the usual culprits -- onions, mushrooms & crumbled Italian sausage on my half.

The Before & After....

apezza.JPG

apezza2.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good. It kind of looks like fry bread normally used on Navajo Taco’s. I had pizza once made out of fry bread and it was good.

That would be interesting, you and Blank should post your best Navajo taco for us to criticize.

Boy, that sounds great! I haven't done fry bread open sandwiches for a while. Have to do that when I get back from the boonies in a couple days!!!

I was born and raised in Holbrook. My graduating class of 114 was primarily Navajo. I love Navajo tacos. A few of my native friends would bring me fry bread in the morning before work and it was the best thing that happened to me that day. I can’t seem to make it right, it always seems like something is off when I make it. I have found that there are some restaurants that can screw up a Navajo taco. If there’s doubt, have your lady friend get the taco and you get something else like an enchilada, chimi, or combination plate. When the taco comes out, try hers and then you will know if it’s good. If it’s not, at least you get filled up on food that is normally good even if it’s sort of bland.

Looks good. It kind of looks like fry bread normally used on Navajo Taco’s. I had pizza once made out of fry bread and it was good.

That would be interesting, you and Blank should post your best Navajo taco for us to criticize.
Photo is somewhat misleading. It's only the very outer edge that's a bit thick, maybe 1/2" to 3/4" but the rest of the dough part is only about a 1/4" thick.

That said, I love fry bread with honey on it. When heading north on Hwy 89, I used to routinely stop in the restaurant at the Cameron trading post just to get the fry bread. Bannock is somewhat like it.

Last edited:
Photo is somewhat misleading. It's only the very outer edge that's a bit thick, maybe 1/2" to 3/4" but the rest of the dough part is only about a 1/4" thick.

That said, I love fry bread with honey on it. When heading north on Hwy 89, I used to routinely stop in the restaurant at the Cameron trading post just to get the fry bread. Bannock is somewhat like it.
In NM they are called sopapilla's and they are best with honey when hot. When in NM I always ask first if they have sopapilla's or not before I sit down...LOL they are the best

In NM they are called sopapilla's and they are best with honey when hot. When in NM I always ask first if they have sopapilla's or not before I sit down...LOL they are the best
Yup, pretty close. I think the only difference is the liquid used in the mix.

Us Italians also do several versions of fried dough such as Pizza Fritta & Zeppole. Sometimes it gets stuffed with cheeses or such before frying.

On my moose/caribou hunt in N. BC, my slavey Indian guide made bannock in a cast iron frying pan with lard over the campfire every morning.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom