"Honey burn" for bear

spotnstalkID

Just curious to see if anybody out there has ever used this "honey burn" technique to get bears to come in?? I have heard of it, read a little about it, but have never tried it. One of the reasons I have never tried it is that I am unsure of exactly how it is done. From what I have read there are pretty specific ways of doing it. I don't even know if you are trying to "burn" the honey, boil it, what? Anybody have any advice? Ever tried it? Know anybody that has tried it?

The reason I ask is that I have an area that all I see is bear sign everywhere, saw one nice cinnamon bear up there last week but wasn't able to get a shot off on him, but the area is too far to run up and bait consistently. I am going to be heading back up there and was thinking of trying this "honey burn" deal but wanted to see if I could come up with any advice from anybody who may have tried it or knew more about it than I do (which isn't much).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jaxon

One technique that i have read is to use a coffee can with charcoal in the bottom. Get the coals good and hot and then put a container of honey on top of the coals on a small rack. As the honey heats up it will start to boil over the container and onto the coals and burn, thus creating the desired smell. Not sure on the specifics of the whole process, but a couple practice runs at home would give you the time it takes to boil and how long the smell would be emitted and other info. Would not be to much to pack in and may just be the ticket to a nice bear rug. Good luck.

All I do when I do a burn is bring in a litte can of sterno. I rigged up a little wire holder to hold a small pot above the sterno can so it can heat up the pot. In the pot I add about 1-2 cups of honey. I also like to add a 1/8 cup of vanilla extract to the pot. When it's heated and starts to boil it will make the best smell. I have a little better success on my baits when I use a burn. Good luck to you.

IB

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. One question though, are you trying to get the smell from the honey as it boils, or are you wanting to get the smell from it burning off of coals, etc.?? I have never smelt honey as it boils so I'm not sure if that is all you need is it to boil, or do you need to have it boil over and burn on the coals or something?? I've heard it can be tricky to get the honey to boil at the right temp's to make it work right. Any hints there??

I have seen bears all of the last 4 times I've been to this area but haven't had a shot on one yet. I'm headed back up Sunday again and am hopeful to put the season to an end. Maybe the honey burn/boil will do the trick.

Thanks again.
Jaxon

Treed - I let it burn until it's black and turns to ash. They little sterno cans last about 1 to 1.5 hours and is just the right amount of time.

Jaxon - When the honey boils it will start smoking. Don't let it boil over our you'll have a big mess. No frills when boiling it for me. I just let the sucker burn and smoke. It smells sweet to me and I'm sure it does to them also.

Good luck,
IB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom