Hornady FPB Bullet vs. Hornady Great Plains Bullet

Cow Tag

Can anyone on MM offer a honest opinion comparing these two black powder bullets? If anyone has hunted with both of these or if anyone has target practiced with them, I would like a comparison of the two for accuracy at 100 yards, knock down ability, and extended range. Hopefully, a couple of MM members will have experience with these Hornady bullets.

Cannot speak for the great plains, but the FBP shoots well for me, at 100 yards with a 1x scope 1" groups. As far as extended range and knock down ability killed a cow last winter at 200+ yards with 80% weight retention.

I can't seem to find a reference for great plains, but I think they are pure lead (meaning they are softer). Anybody know for sure?

I know for a fact that the FPB bullets are a lead alloy (meaning they are a little tougher.

That said, the great plains are big enough that even soft lead does a good job. Never heard of anyone talking about "failures" with them.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

yes the GP bullets are pure soft lead. They discontinued the 410gr flat point and now we're stuck with the sucky 385gr Hollow Point. Shot one doe with one years ago with 90gr pyrodex rs and the bullet only made it through one shoulder. Recovered bullet was the size of a silver dollar and just a bit thicker. Split right down the middle. NOT a good elk bullet.

www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

The FPB bullets look very much like the Thor pure copper bullets. I like the Thor bullets and believe that I will purchase a package of the Hornady FPB bullets and experiment with them. Texas Hunter, would you prefer a pure lead bullet over the newer tech type like the Thor and the Hornady FPB bullets for elk. I follow your advice about using lesser than greater powder charges anymore. Cowtag

I have killed two elk with the FPB and will most likely be using it again this fall for a bull hunt. That said, I would rank the Thor the toughest bullet out there. In most cases, it is probably an overkill, but for certain shots, it might mean the difference between a quick kill and a tracking job. So it money is not object (the Thors are the most expensive) and they shot great out of my gun, they would be my first choice.

But after seeing the results of the FPB in two different elk (both bullets went through bone), I feel very comfortable using them because they seem to fly slightly more accurately out of the gun I am using this year.

txhunter58

Didn't Colorado do away with the rule on a bullet can't me more than twice it's width ,so we can use FPB 's without removing the plastic tip ?

I purchased two boxes of the Thor bullets last September. Practiced with them and the accuracy was adequate/OK/pretty good at 100 big steps. I was using 90 grains of 777, Rem. ML 209 primers and the 300 grain Thor. On opening morning of the Colorado Muzzle loader season last year, I shot a cow squarely into her left shoulder at about 100 yards. She trotted for a few yards, stopped, and within 10 seconds she laid down and died. Since some of you admire the Thor bullets, I believe that I will just stay with them as my TC Encore rifle is sighted in and ready to go hunting on September 10. I may use up some of my BH 209 powder with this rifle and the Thor bullets to see if the accuracy is somewhat better than with the 777. I have poorer eye sight than I used to as I am 63 years old and wear glasses all the time. Looking forward to this year's Colorado hunting adventure. Cowtag

Cowtag- Were you able to recover the Thor? I have some FPB's and the THOR sample pack here with my muzzleloading stuff...I just love the way those THORS expand. Makes me want to quit doing saboted loads out of my Accura.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]In your case, I would continue using the Thors! There is no reason to change a thing.

+1 on changing the length law. That is why the Thors are now legal!

txhunter58

Bugle, NO, I did not retrieve the 300 grain Thor bullet. I was pleased with the performance of it though.....the 90 grains of 777 did NOT push the bullet all the way through the cow elk though. NO exit wound.
TX Hunter, I will stay put with the Thor bullets and the .50 Encore. I have a Rem 700 in .54 as my back up weapon. Could stay with the 777 or switch to the BH 209 if the results of my practice shooting are favorable. I have used 777 for a long time and the BH will have to beat the Triple 7 soundly before I will change my regular and proven elk load.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom