Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX

Anybody have experience with this ammo? I'm currently shooting Nosler Custom ammo with Accubonds but wouldn't mind trying the Hornady Precision ammo considering it's 35% less expensive.

This is a big reason I started reloading, long ago.

As much as I like to shoot, that box ammo would bankrupt me.

I have had good results from the ELD-X bullets on deer and antelope.
Accubond bullets have proven themselves over and over, though.

I have used accubonds for years with great results. I recently started using the ELDX and it seems to be a great bullet, and as you stated they are way cheaper. I'll be switching all of my hunting rifles over to the Hornady ammo in the future.

I've shot deer and elk with both (way more with the Accubond) but I've kind of come back home again. I'm back to the Accubond's because they work GREAT every time and shoot better in a couple rifles for me.

With that said, I'd have no hesitation using the ELD-X in the *appropriate weight for the game being hunted.

Zeke

#livelikezac

*heavy for caliber

Thanks everyone. I just bought a couple boxes and will try them out. If my rifle likes them, I'll probably stick with them and sell the Nosler Accubonds. If not, I'm sure being 28 Nosler, I won't have a problem selling them and getting some of my money back.

I have had no luck at all with the ELDX or the Accubond LR in most of my ( custom ) rifles. and I finally figured out it's because my twist rates are too slow for long heavy bullets.

If your rifle will shoot them the ELDX seems to be working well from what I hear.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

What altitude are you at? 9 twist will be marginal at sea level, but good to go if your at higher elevation.

2a0fcsk.gif

I would say we typically hunt above 5,000?, sometimes up to 9,000? depending on what we are hunting.
I didn't realize elevation would affect spin stabilization. Does it have to do with air density?

The 300's I have are 1-10 twist and they don't work. don't know about 1-9.

I can shoot 180 partitions under an inch and a 165 anything better than that. but the long bullets are more like 1.75 " on average.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-18 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]The 1-10 twist in my .300 shoots excellent with 165s up to 200gr. all day, every day.
The 1-10 shouldn't be a problem for the long ones in the .30 Cal's.
The 1-9 shouldn't be a problem in the 28 Nosler, with up to 175gr. bullets.

Bullet seating depth is the key for accuracy in the heavy for caliber bullets, coupled with a good slow burn rate powder.

I get 3/8" groups out of my 1-10 barrelled .300 win mag with 178gr. ELD-X and 200gr. Accubond at the hundred.
But the seating depth needed to be very long on those 200s.

Mine shoot them too. just not very well.

Out of frustration I called McMillan about it last year since they built one of my 300's. they said my barrel is a 1-10 and it didn't surprise them I was having trouble. it's a light weight model intended to shoot 165-180 gr bullets so they use a 1-10.

Twist rates are something we've come to take for granted. but there is no one size fits all and these long heavy bullets are reminding us. but the remedy is easy, don't use them.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>I would say we typically hunt
>above 5,000?, sometimes up to
>9,000? depending on what we
>are hunting.
>I didn't realize elevation would affect
>spin stabilization. Does it have
>to do with air density?
>

Yes, the air is less dense at higher elevation. In your case, anything above 3000' should get you into good stability.

2a0fcsk.gif

A 1-10 twist 300 Win Mag will properly stabilize 230 grain bullets. I shoot hundreds of them every year at ranges up to a mile.

I have an old German Weatherby 270 Weatherby Mag. Thought I would start with rhe 150 grain Acccubonds due to the high BC. They won't shoot out of the gun. It has a very slow twist of 1:12".

Even the 140 grain Nosler BT don't shoot that great.

I am going to try reloading and what was suggested over and over was 130 grain Accubond, 130 Grain Partition and the 130 grain Barnes TTSX.

Not saying the ELD-X isn't a good bullet; I have zero experience using it. However in my vast Internet searches, the 3 above bullets seem to be very popular across medium-heavy game animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom