How come utah tags are so expensive????

A

Arch

I was just looking at colorado's resident license fees for elk and they are 33 dollars deer are 23 dollars is that because they have more deer and elk??? Utah elk is 65 bucks and deer jumped up to 40 this year. Im not sure about other states but in Utah its gettin kinda expensive. The DWR makes the prices go up 5$ every year it seems.

ARCH

KILL EM N GRILL EM

That is an easy question to answer. Colorado gives 40% of their tags to NonResidents. Utah gives only 10% of their tags to NonResidents. NonResidents pay Colorado $290 for a deer tag, so NonResidents are footing more of the bill.

If you want lower tag prices in Utah then you must give up opportunity. Right now Residents get over 86,000 general deer tags and NonResidents get 9,700 general deer tags. If you want it like Colorado's system then Utah would give around 39,000 general deer tags to Nonresidents and the resident's share be get around 58,000 tags, while having to wait 1-3 years for a tag.

I wonder how long it will be before a Utahn (or tard) gets on here and blames the prices on the DWR???????

Because they're worth it. Where else can you get that much enjoyment and opportunity for under a hundred bucks?

I think that the deer in Utah with chronic wasting disease tast better than out of state deer with the same problem....MMM MMM GOOD

The DWR figures that if you can afford to give 10% of your wage to your church, you can pay a little more for your deer tag.

Nunya, you just figured it out! The DWR has to pay 10% to the church too! That's the reason they have to charge more.

I dont think they are near expensive enough actually.

I'd gladly pay $160 for a resident general deer tag, $240 for an elk etc etc. We'd get enough revenue off tags to really help out wildlife (assuming its spent wisely) and we could reduce the amount of tags we are giving to specialty groups. Call me selfish but I'd also assume it would drive off more than a few hunters making it easier for me to pull even a general tag (something for the first time in my life I didnt get last year).

$65 for elk, $40 for deer is laughably cheap and I cant imagine even the poorest among us not being able to save up money over the course of an entire year to buy a tag (thats only saving 11.1 cents a day to afford a deer tag).

-DallanC

I don't think that it's that bad either. Heck, I spend 5 times that in gas during the season. We cry when tags are expensive, we cry when the sell tags to the highest bidder, we cry when we watch BYU football. Bottom line, we want everything for nothing and it's not our fault if we don't get it. Boo Hoo.....

I agree with you guys about the tags being so cheap. How can the DWR complain year after year of having no money, and then continue to GIVE the tags away to the residents. I just put $77 worth of gas in my truck today, and it's partly gone already just getting home from the dentist, and the grocery store, not to mention $319 to the dentist to fix my kid's teeth. I'd much rather spend my money on hunting, and if the tags are more money, so be it. I think that if the DWR would charge more, and then put it to good use for the animals benefit, we would all be money ahead.
Think of it this way. If there really were a bunch of big bulls and big bucks out there, it would be easier to find and kill one of them. That translates directly into savings of time, and money. Also it helps the economy. Then you have to spend more money at the local taxidermy shop.
Nonresidents are getting beat up bad enough in most states, but the residents are stealing their tags.

Four wheeler $4500
Gun $500
Spotting Scope $500
Rifle Scope $300
Gas to get there $200
Deer Tag $45

Memories $Priceless

I just paid $470 to hunt Wyoming, $300 to hunt Idaho, $300 to hunt Nevada, $300 to hunt Colorado, and in Utah I am in the Dedicated program so I get to hunt each season here for just ($180/9 seasons)= $20 per season. Not bad. I would pay $200 or $300 to hunt bucks here in Utah. They also need to cut the size of the units down like they did in Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, and Wyominig. If you live in Utah and don't hunt out of state, you are missing out big time. Colorado bucks are coming back in a big way. Their buck to doe ratio compared to ours is incredible. Better money and management would really help out ou herds.

I figure $40 and $65 to have that much fun and make that many memories is darn cheap. Heck you can't even take the family out to dinner or a movie for that price. A tank of gas is at least $50 bucks. At least its not on a supply and demand price range or we would be paying a lot more. Imagine if tags were based on what we would be willing to pay.

Seems as though everything goes up except for your wages. I could probably swing the 40 and 65 but those auction tags are a different story. Thank god I live in Idaho where you can go deer hunting every year in most of the state for 3 weeks for about 30 bucks.