How did you do?? Ut Muzz!!

M

mtyhntr

I know I have friends all over the hills this morning with the old smoke gun. I'll post photos if they get one. So how did you guys do???

mtyhntr: Isn't it amazing that in this muzzleloading fraternity you can always find a ton of friends out in the woods. Sure beats the heck out of centerfire.

Bluelk,

This would have been my first year Muzzleloader hunting, I joined the Dedicated hunter this year in Utah. I shot my buck opening morning of the Archery hunt. I was looking forward to hunting with the Muzzleloader, I'll have to wait tell next year. Now all I can hunt is Elk. I have less then two weeks for that.

I am sweating bullets hoping that my buck that I have spotted is not found this week. Please still be there.

today must be the longest day of my life. I had a test this morning at 8 am and I have another tonight at 7pm. I am hating life. if I can only make it to 4:00 tomorrow morning. I am hunting thurs through sat. Hopefully I will have a good report on sunday.

Just got off the phone. One friend only saw does this morning, the other two I've yet to hear from.

Sadly, yes I go to USU. My dad is a professor up there so I get a couple hundred bucks off tuition each semester. At least I do until he retires next year. Still, most of my cash seems to end up there.
Are you a student or have you put that misery behind you already?

I went to a Tech school, now I'm back at USU. Only one class right now, with 40+ hours a week. Are you from Logan? Or just here with the fam?

That is 40+ hours of work a week. I went for one year back in 97-98. I still have a few left.

My other friend just called me. He hit a big 4 point in the front end, he watched it go down the hollow and crash. He made is way down and heard brush cracking, while he made is way down it jumped up. He trailed it into the pines, his hunting partner on the ridge above watched it. It had a limp as it ran off. They never did find it, they were just heading out to find him. As they started talking they think he was hit in the leg, there wasn't allot of blood. I'll post tomorrow if they get one, or find him.

I grew up in Providence. Not up on the bench with the snobs but down closer to river heights. Right now I am living in river heights. It is lousy to be farther away from the hills but I can still spot critters from here. Are you from around here?

Saw nothing but cattle, stupid ranchers wish they had their own land to put the cows on and leave them of the National Forest land. People think ATV's destroy the land, nothing worse than the cattle.

Oh them ranchers got ground for them cows. They just take advantage of the forests and then they will take therer cattle or mountian maggots down to there own places. Sheep usualy end up on the desert. And do you think them ranchers will let you hunt on there property???? Hell no. So I think a stray sheep needs to be put out of its missery.

We saw quite a few deer and a few bucks. They were all smaller under 3 points. There wernt very many hunters out so the deer were pretty calm. Have you work today and tomorrow but then I am back in the hills.

Klunk,
I went to Mountain Crest and graduated in 93, I'm from Hyrum. What year did you graduate in?
Last night my one friend spotted a bachelor group of five bucks, they went after them this morning. My other friend went up Logan Canyon last night and didn't see a single deer. Have you guys heard of any bucks shot yet?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-02 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]Always good to see that some hunters still use the rancher excuse as to why they don't get deer.

Anyway, I shot a 22" 4x4 with nice eyeguards. Great hunt, no competition. One shot. The good old sidelock, 50 cal round ball, and FFF black still works, no matter what the ads in Outdoor Life say.

Mty- Ask those friends that hit the buck how far away he was when they shot and what kind of bullet they were using. Also, I can never bring myself to shoot a deer in the 1st year on the DH. Now you Have to not shoot one next year or you can't hunt the 3rd year.

Good luck to All. (I hate being done so early)

Sounds like a good buck, post some pictures if you can. The deer he shot at was at 80 yards. I'm not sure what bullet he is shooting. Next year I need to be a serious Trophy hunter, I would go crazy if I sit one year. Its better to hunt and pass up bucks next year, unless he is huge. Then I can hunt my last year. Now you know how I feel "(I hate being done so early)"
Congrats

Hey Muzz- Don't you have a CWMU tag? I thought you were Excited to go hunt private land, so what's the deal. You can't have it both ways. Maybe we should turn all "them ranches" into subdivisions so you can drive down Public streets.

And go ahead and shoot "stray" livestock, just look over your shoulder when you do because the penalty for shooting that $30 ewe could land you at the Point of The Mountain. Also, be sure to retrieve th bullet, wouldn't want to leave evidence behind.

Hey 2 point I am not blaming the ranchers for me not getting deer. I get my deer every year! Congrats on your deer.

Mtyhntr, I graduated in 97. Wasn't it great having a canyon right by school. I spent more time up blacksmith fork fishing and watching the critters than I did in class.

As you can tell, I am back way too early from the hunt. I wish it was good news. Coming off a ridge this morning, something went wrong with my knee. It ended up taking me nearly four hours to get a mile and a half back to the truck. Now I am just sitting here with a ice pack on it. If the swelling goes down before morning I will try to head out but now I have to hurry and think up a hunting spot not too far from a road. I have never had anything like this happen before, it sucks!!

Klunk,
Do you know Dave Burnett? I think he graduated in 96 or a Lars Latimer?
Sorry to hear about the knee. I took my friend up last night, we ran into two doe's. I'm not seeing many bucks. My friend help his buddy haul out a big heavy 3x3, it didn't have much width to it.

Hey guys.....just got back of the mountain....We were 3 for 3. I shot a nice 3 point. My buddy shot another smaller three point. The nicest of the bunch was shot last night he was a heavy 4 point about 26 inches wide.....great looking buck. We saw about 30 to 40 bucks in all. A ton of fun....It sucks being done so early....just have to wait for the Elk hunt.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Thats the best I've heard yet, congrats. If you have some photos, post them if you can.

Mtyhntr,
sorry, I don't recognize those names. I think scott hendricks graduated about your time, do you know him? I am still here with my leg propped up. I spotted a couple does and fawns this morning from my driveway with the spotting scope. No antlers though. I have just about decided to take it easy for the next couple days so I am ready for the elk hunt next week. I have a south cache cow tag. I am going to carry my muzzleloader for that since I have already taken elk with rifle and bow. It should be fun.

Yes I know Scott, my last two years of high school we did allot together. We skied whenever we could the winter of 92-93. My brother is best friends with Todd Hendricks. Do you know Tyler Huffacker?

Mtyhntr, I think you may know my wife....Kelli Sampson. She grew up in Providence..... I have to confess that we are hunting on private ground so the odds are stacked in our favor a little. We took plenty of pictures but they are not on a digital camera so I have to scan them in....I'll post em as soon as we get them back...

Mtyhntr, I think you may know my wife....Kelli Sampson. She grew up in Providence..... I have to confess that we are hunting on private ground so the odds are stacked in our favor a little. We took plenty of pictures but they are not on a digital camera so I have to scan them in....I'll post em as soon as we get them back...

I sure do, I skied with her and her friends. We both gradated in 93, she sure is a cool girl. You'll have to tell her hello from Ladd. Are you guys here in Utah (Logan)?

I will...We are living in West Jordan. She is teaching school. We actually met skiing... You have shot some nice bucks up there. My dad grew up in Logan and hunted up there most of his life.... He always told me that the big ones were gone. I told him to check out your website and see otherwise...I'll have to post some of my past years bucks. I just found out about this website a couple of months ago...there are some good guys on here. They get me pumped up for hunting, not that I really need it. Are you muzzleloading or rifle hunting this year?

I joined the Dedicated Hunter this year, I shot my buck the first day of the Archery hunt. He was a good four point with 2" eye guards, he is 21" wide with good mass. I'm waiting for the Elk hunt next week. If you go to the Archery forum and scroll down you will see my post with the photo.

Sorry, I don't know a tyler huffaker. I guess I should get out and meet more people. Todd and scott are my cousins.
I think kelli sampson has a younger brother mike. We ran together in grade school. Small world isn't it.

Sorry to hear that your Related to Scott and Todd "J/K". Todd's getting into a nice house in Bountiful, I run into Scott here and there. In the past five years Scott's gotten into the hunting seen more. That's a good family to be in. Tyler was friends with Scott and Todd's little brother. Do you know BJ (Brandon Jensen), Marcie Williams, Jamie Zollenger, Mike Rich, Becky Minkler? Those are some of my friends from High School from Riverhights.

It is a small world....Ladd, Jamie Zollinger (now Jamie Wilde) hangs out with us just about every weekend. That's a nice buck that you shot. My favorite is your big one that you shot either last year or the year before...can't remember. You and, I think, your brother are holding the antlers. Great looking deer. Anyway, now I'm just waiting for the Elk hunt...hopefully I'll get a crack at a big one this year.

Are you going in Utah? Open bull area? I'm sick of hunting spikes, if I could only draw a tag. Tell Jamie I said Hi. I spent more time with Jamie and her friends the year before my Mission than anyone else.

Yeah, I am going open bull in Utah... There are a few really nice bulls up where we hunt...I'm not too picky hunting elk though....If I get a crack at a bull I take it. I think I'm going to start bow hunting elk next year. I have always gone up early and called in some nice bulls where we hunt and now I just figured that I may as well shoot an arrow at them while they are there. This is assuming I can shoot straight of course... I'm going to have to practice up over the next year. I'll tell Jamie hi. Where did you serve?

England London, Downtown area, and just out side of London (North). It was great. Good luck with next week, I've seen some big bulls but no spikes yet. Two years ago we were 4/4.

Good luck to you as well. Maybe I'll see ya on the slopes at the Beav...Have a good hunt.

We hunted three days from Tony Grove, towards Naomi, and didn't see a buck. Saw plenty a week ago, but they disappeared. We finally started to sneak through the bottoms during the day, hoping to get one to stand up in his bed, but it was useless.

We got into tons of elk though. All we had to do was whistle a bugle, and they would stand up and herd their cows into a tight circle. I should have bought my muzzleloader spike tag, as I had one in a wallow at 20 yards. Would've been a pain to haul out though. Found a really unique 5x6 two different times. He was madder than sin when we whistled; he wanted to kill us. It was a great hunt.

There are aspens up there that are blood red; never seen them like that before. Good Luck.

My buddy and I just got back from hunting Southern Utah. My buddy shot a 15 inch 3x4 opening morning. I choked on a nice 25 inch 4x4 that morning as well. just flat out got buck fever and pulled the shot. That night I hit a wide 2x3 right in the shoulder at 50 yards. He ran off with his leg flopping and I though he would go down shortly. We blood trailed him after a half hour wait and he went forever. I jumped him once and saw blood running from the middle of his shoulder down his leg. The blood finaley gave out and we never found him. I was using 300gr XTP's and was not pleased with there performance. I did not get any penatration throught the shoulder and I think my bullet blew up on impact. My buddy was also using XTP's and he hit his deer behind the shoulder. His deer went right down but the bullet did not go all the way through. We found pieces all over inside. Next year it will be a big lead conical for me.

Mark

I have used XTP's also and killed deer but they dont hold up well and also dont penetrate worth a damn. I went to the Black belt bullets and them babys work wonders on deer, and elk from what I have heard.

Grizz,

I was down hunting with my friend below you guys on Thursday night. We found a doe with a collar and that was about it. It seems like they disappeared. The colors right now are unreal.

Mtyhntr, I must either be a real social outcast or right in between the ages of the people you mentioned. Brett, scott's youngest brother, is a couple years younger than me and scott is a couple years older so I don't know too many of their friends.
if you haven't found any spikes yet, let me know. I saw five the other day and I am only interested in a cow right now. I am going to try and get a cow with my muzz during the general rifle season, that should be interesting.
today, since I can't currently hike, I drove down to antelope Island to practice recognizing the bull buffalo from the cows. While we were scoping them, we saw a three point buck that would have gont an easy 28". We later stopped by the visitors center and I got to talking with one of the fish cops. Pretty soon he pulled out some pictures of bucks he had taken this year. One was an honest 32" six point and another was at the 40" mark. talk about putting the fever in your blood!!

my ? is all of you that killed your buck! In what part of Ut did you kill them in? southern, central, or northern? thanks?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-02 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]Mtyhntr

Where were you guys, in relation to us?

We hunted everywhere on Thursday. We parked at the gravel pit, and hiked a circle, the GPS showed 11 miles; way too far to not see a buck. We saw plenty of grouse though. There was a lot of shooting Wednesday morning; but I sure didn't get any of it. I've never seen so many deer one day, and then hunted so hard and still not been able to find them the next. It was unreal.

Let us know how you do the rest of the hunt. Good Luck.

Passed on a 26" 4-point wed night, only cuz I'd seen so many big bucks during the archery. Thurs night passed on a 24" and then jumped a nice buck in the tall sage, noticed he had really good forks and had to decide before he was gone, pulled up my muzzy and pulled the trigger, he went right down, just over a hundred. I was a little nervous walking up to him. I killed a nice buck last year and by killing this one I don't hunt next year. Ended up being only 23" wide, but really good forks. Wasn't disappointed though. How can you be when your hunting? Lots of mass and good eye guards, a little over 150. Saw many bigger, but what if this would have been the BIG one and I let him go? Well any suggestions on what state to go to next year? I have a point in Nevada, but I probably won't draw. Will already be hunting bears in Idaho with my cousin, so that is probably the place for me. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Father-in-law and myself took our wives on the muzzy up around Stawberry. This was there first ever hunt. My wifes mom smoked a forky on the opener in the late afternoon. She was really pumped about it and so was the rest of us. The wife and I couldn't put horns on anything the entire hunt. So we packed up and headed to where I knew, well "thought" I could get her in on a buck, but nothing, just does and fawns. Went on more than a few death marches with no prevail. It does not make sense to me because I seen some good bucks while on the archery hunt and now they are all gone? She has a central tag and I could use some help on a possible where to go from now. Any help is appreciated. I know she will be discouraged if she doesn't at least get a shot. I never thought she would want a buck so bad. She even admitted she couldn't sleep the night before the hunt. Very odd, I thought.Thanks again for any help.

Jeremy

a friend and I hunted the wasatch front, and he shot a 28 inch 5x5. Some other hunters saw it and missed, but they said it was a 36 inch nontypical, I told my buddy that they were high, but even if they were off by 12 inches, thats still a great wasatch buck. It will probably score 185 to 190 gross.

Deerlove, I have hunted the wasatch front a little this year and seen a few nice bucks. What general area were you guys hunting?

borntohunt

I blew it on Opening day. I had a shot at 102 yards at a 22"-24" 4x4. I only shot a little powder and a primer at it though. Seems that I forgot to fire a "fouling" charge in my barrel and the "underbore" bullet I was shooting escaped out the barrel sometime during the day. I am real glad that the bullet had fallen all the way out rather than lodge half way. That could have been disasterous.

Anyways, I made a good shot on a "meat buck" 3x3 on Saturday morning at about 75 yards. He made it about 30-40 yards at a dead run before he killed over for good. Quartering towards shot took out left lung (absolute jello)and exited the right flank. Didn't have to drag him far either. I guess that was a blessing in disguise, the first deer I shot at on Opening day was bigger, but I would still be there trying to eat it all, because I would have had a hard time hauling it out of the huge canyon we were in.

Anyway, be careful to fire your "fouling" shot if you are shooting an underbore bullet like my No Excuses bullet. Absolutely the most accurate bullet I have shot, as long as it stays in the barrel. I won't make that mistake ever again. FH

well I finished my hunt last night. I was hunting up by lone peak on the utah county side. My little brother shot a 3x3 there on tuesday and i decided to go for a hike to see if there were any more pushed down from the snow. I was hiking the ridge line up to the cliffs and saw quite a few doe. so i droped into the canyon and was sitting by a large rock glassing the 17 deer that I could see in the canyon. I only saw a small spike that was still with his sister and mom. So I just sat back and watched the little canyon for about 30 min. After not seeing any bucks i decided to push thru the canyon. When I stood up I saw a buck start across the hillside. I whistled and he stoped about 125 yards away and all I could see was the top of his head from the eyes up. so i put the crosshairs between his eyes and let the big gun roar. there was alittle brezze the sent the cloud of smoke right back at my so I couldnt see anything. I walked about 80 yards and he was lying there stone dead. The country is so steep that he rolled the hill about fourty yards only hitting the ground 4 times. So I ended up with a good sized 2x3 and alot of jerky meat. And by the way it was the cva that i shot. I was packing it instead of the Knight because it was still loaded from the weekend. I still thinks the CVA shoots close to the same as my knight the only difference is the price.

Hey Deerlove, I saw the pics. GREAT BUCK!!! I heard the hike out was something else also!!!

Ended up with a 3x3 with eyeguards about 20" Damn ears was only 19" instead of 24" shot him at 184 yds. Knight Omega 50 cal. 300 gr sabots 120 ffg 777. Still it was a great trip saw several that was bigger saw a nice heavy 5x2 about 27-28" must of had something happen to the one side still was a nice looking buck the forks was about 18" apart and really tall, got within 150 yds missed judged where he was, he saw me first and didn't give me a shot stalked him thru a bunch elk it was great. Maybe next year he will be back to o.k..

I shot him Monday evening. 24" 5x5
deerlawn.gif

We went up last night, saw one buck cut out of a hollow as we came in. By that time it was allmost dark. Oh well, we will be chasing elk in the morning.

I thought so deerlove. I figured that wa you guys that got the 5x5. congrats man. were you with him when I called that day when you were on the mountian? I would like to see a pic of that buck. Is it anything like the one in the magazine that the kid shot from last year?

Muzz give me a call I have some of the photos and I wanted to see how you did on the elk hunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom