How many people using dogs for Blackies?

Blueoak

Very Active Member
At the end of the roll call, I said I use dogs. Wire-haired fox terriers, with some beagle. Lots of guys like the little fox terriers.How about you?

The area I grew up hunting in , many people used dogs . Lots of beagles and terriers . Those little terriers are crazy . They sure put the deer up though . I've never hunted deer with dogs . I enjoy spot and stalk myself . You probably know the area I used to hunt judging from your previous posts .Cow Mountain .

I have a fox terier, he is pretty good at deer huntin' he has a different pitch to his bark when he jumps a deer and he tries to turn the deer back to the hunter,but I prefer to hunt without him and use spot and stalk methods, he has found a couple of cripples for us though.

I grew up using dogs to hunt blacktails. We made drives to other hunters on stands. We also used the dogs just to jump them up. We had a 17" Tennessee Beagle that was awesome. We never lost a buck with that dog. The only thing with Beagles, they chased the deer to the next county. hahaha Later we switched to fox Terriers. They don't run 'em as far. Now that the entire population of Calif has moved to the foothills I only hunt spot and stalk, or still hunt.
The trouble with using dogs are the quick shots a hunter must make. It took me quite a few times to be able to make a clean kill on a Blacktail running at full tilt with a dog on his behind. Anyways, I could go on and on, hahahaha.
Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom