How many

justr_86

Long Time Member
How many big game animals have you harvested that had no idea anything was going on or that you were even in the country?

Personally I can only think of 7. 2 whitetail, 3 muleys, 2 bull elk.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Not that many. It's hard to not be noticed when you're hunting from the back of a pickup. :D

I don't have any idea, probably around half. It's harder with pronghorn.

>I can't count that high.

You know horsecorn, if you take off your socks, you should get to 20.

They don't even hear it coming. At 800 yards the bullet impacts and they are dead before the sound even gets there.

I tell you I have probably shot at least 30 bucks on the run at 50 yards or less,maybe 3 or 4 that didn't know what was going on.

Most of them. May sound sick or morbid but I get much more thrill of the kill if the animal has no clue I'm there and the closer the better.

I couldn't even guess a close number but it's got to be around 75 - 85% of my killed critters that had no idea I was around.

I suppose it difficult to quantify, when you're old(er), and have been successful way more than not.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Some of us, (like Zeke) have over a half century of seasons behind us. So, quantifying specific numbers is impossible for us.
Back in the day when there were 200 thousand hunters banging away with their open sited 30-30s, there were not many deer around that didn't know something was up. Many that caught a bullet just ran into another hunter.
Times have changed for sure and in this day and age, I think it's pretty rare when a big game animal knows he's about to take a fatal blow.

I Think in the Thick Nasty Sshhiittt We Hunt Most of them heard Me coming and had time to get away before I ever seen them!:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Like bess said I think most of mine have known I was there, maybe not what I was but looking down the barrel.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'll never forget one deer that DID know I was there before I hammered him.
He came out of the trees toward me without a care in the world and when he noticed me (at < 40') he got that "oh crap" look on his face. He took a 130 Partition as he tried to turn back.
I'll never forget that look!

That was a long, long tug up out of that hole too.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I once shot a whitetail with the bow on a very very windy day from a tree stand and the arrow passed thru and stuck in the ground and the deer made one big jump but saw the arrow hit the ground walked over to check it out and fell over dead as it was sniffing it. Pretty cool memory

Too many to count. Definitely the majority of what I've harvested had no idea I existed. Most of those were archery kills. A few long range rifle kills didn't know I was there. But it seems like animals during the gun hunts are on edge the entire time. They are always very jumpy even when they aren't aware people are there, so it's hard to make a call on those if they knew I was ?there? or not. I can't think of a couple thousand ducks that had no idea I existed until they were about 20? away from me. But I suppose those don't count for this question ??‍♂️

>Some of us, (like Zeke) have
>over a half century of
>seasons behind us. So,
>quantifying specific numbers is impossible
>for us.
>Back in the day when there
>were 200 thousand hunters banging
>away with their open sited
>30-30s, there were not many
>deer around that didn't know
>something was up. Many
>that caught a bullet just
>ran into another hunter.
>Times have changed for sure and
>in this day and age,
>I think it's pretty rare
>when a big game animal
>knows he's about to take
>a fatal blow.

Back in the days of unlimited tags, opening day, the deer reminded me of a pinball. Bouncing around and changing direction from one group of hunters to another.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom