How much water do you pack

cabinfever

Very Active Member
If you were backpacking into to deer, elk or sheep country 5-6 miles and you were going to have a near by water source when you arrived, how much water would/do you pack to stay hydrated for the trip in.I'm talking about a 3-5 day backpack hunt. What kind of water containers do you use.

I use a 70 oz. plain Jane non insulated camelbak reservoir and a 32 oz nalgene.Seems like I always pack a little more than I use.

If water is near by and not an issue then why carry the extra weight? I fill my reservoir and go. Just have a good filter and use that instead when you run low on H2O.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-11 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Unless it's 90+ degrees 2 quarts is more than enough to get me 5-6 miles in.. I usually fill my 50 oz H2O bladder and have my filter packed where I cant get it easily... In my neck of the woods water is no farther than 30 minutes of hiking in any direction..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Two quarts is about all I'm willing to pack. I don't ask Bo (llama) to pack it, either....that's what filtration devices are for (do take extra filters).

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I used to never pack any or at most, a empty diet Pepsi full. Nowadays i have been taking water but i usually get caught up in the hunting and forget to drink it. I like a good cold Mt Dew or two once back at camp though!

Joey

gb, what type or brand of filtration devices would you recommend. I never used any type of device and would be interested in learning more about them. Cowtag

MSR make a great assortment of high quality filters. Get one that uses a ceramic filtering media device. They work best in all types of turbid or semi-clean stream water conditions.

Check REI, Cabela's or any backpacking Sporting Goods Store a good one runs about $89.00.

))))------->

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-11 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]I second MSR filters, cool thing about MSR filters is that you can screw the filter directly onto the MSR hydration bladders and begin pumping water. Those bladders are just about bullet proof. Awesome!
WVBOWAK

Just pound 20 oz. before you head out and you won't need more than 32 oz for a relatively short hike like you mentioned. If it's 90+ degrees or straight up hill the entire way, you may want to bring a little more.

Fill my 70 oz and go and then filter water when you get there. 3-5 day pack trip your already going to be carrying 55-65 pounds no need to carry anymore than you need. I have the Katadyn pro hiker and have really liked it so far. You can also pump right into your bladder.

I re-use those 16.9 or 20 oz. water bottles. You know, the ones that everyone throws away when they've just finished drinking a bottle of water. They're free, very light, and even crushable to save space.

You can make one into an emergency water filter too. You cut the bottom off and poke a hole into the cap (I like to rig up a piece of surgical hose to the cap). Then, with the cap end down, stuff some green grass into the neck, then a layer of fine sand, then a layer of crushed charcoal from the fire, then another layer of fine sand, then another layer of green grass. These five layers should be packed tight and they should fill the bottle about 2/3 and leave about 1/3 as a small reservoir for the raw water. If you have some string or wire you can hang it from a branch, then slowly pour your raw water in. The first water to come out will be dirty, but it will clear up when the fine dust is flushed out. Once the water is running clear, you can catch it in another bottle. Be careful that no raw water drips into your clean water container. That is why I use a piece of surgical hose, so I can have the clean water container off to the side.

>You can make one into an
>emergency water filter too.
>You cut the bottom off
>and poke a hole into
>the cap (I like to
>rig up a piece of
>surgical hose to the cap).
> Then, with the cap
>end down, stuff some green
>grass into the neck, then
>a layer of fine sand,
>then a layer of crushed
>charcoal from the fire, then
>another layer of fine sand,
>then another layer of green
>grass. These five layers
>should be packed tight and
>they should fill the bottle
>about 2/3 and leave about
>1/3 as a small reservoir
>for the raw water.
>If you have some string
>or wire you can hang
>it from a branch, then
>slowly pour your raw water
>in. The first water
>to come out will be
>dirty, but it will clear
>up when the fine dust
>is flushed out. Once
>the water is running clear,
>you can catch it in
>another bottle. Be careful
>that no raw water drips
>into your clean water container.
> That is why I
>use a piece of surgical
>hose, so I can have
>the clean water container off
>to the side.

Was that from the book "How To Waste An Hour Of Time In The Woods And Still Get The Shiits"..?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Snort, You crack me up.

And, you could be right. This is probably best left as an emergency only activity. Use your Katadyn, and save some toilet paper. Ha, ha.

LOL... I have had Giardia... It wasn't that funny at the time :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

LOL Bucksnort!!! How was it? Dont need to go into graphic detail or anything? I heard it takes two week time for it to kick in? At least you could have butt urine in the comfort of your own home???? Just sayin

I got it from a backpack trip..We filtered all our water but I still like to wash my face off in cool Mtn streams, I think this is how I got it... Anyway about two weeks later I was camping/hunting at the end of a 4x4 trail... I had to stay in camp while my buddies hunted... The cramps were worse than the squirts..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Thanks for all the comments. I use an MSR sweetwater filter, but I had it plug up on a timberline hunt, and thankfully had some iodine tablets as back up.In MSR's defense I probably didn't maintenance the filter like I should have. Now, if I know there will be something like a clear spring creek nearby, I will take the tablets. They are certainly a lot lighter and you don't have to worry about a filter plugging up on you and being dead weight the rest of the trip.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom