How Soon to Scout Bull Elk?

vanderb79

Ok, so the hard part is done - I've drawn an archery tag for September. One of many next steps is scouting. I should have a fair amount of time (weekends) to invest from now to the hunt. My question is simply "when does it make sense to start scouting"? I have a good general knowledge of the unit so, primarially, the scouting will be to locate specific target bulls. Thanks for your input.

No matter how much I think I know about a unit I always learn something everytime I am out there. It might not be specifically about big game but I find a tank or a road or something everytime. So to answer your question is there is no such thing as too soon.

But more specific details depending on your unit the Elk might be down low right getting ready to migrate back up as the weather warms up so ust because you know where the elk is now does not mean he will be there come september. Same thing about water holes, lots of water in the woods right now that may or may not be there come September so dont fall in love with one now. The Rut changes things as well so being able to have a Plan A, B, C, and D is always a good thing.

Good Luck and take a lot of picuters to share with us

John

Thanks John and I agree that there's always more to learn about the area and I could have been doing that yesterday. Maybe a refinement of the question would be "for specific scouting, when will the bulls be in patterns typical of September and / or when will antler development be far enough along to judge future trophy potential"? FYI, I waited a lot of years for this tag and am going "big or bust"...big being somewhere in the 350" range and up.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-11 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]Archery is hard to scout for sometimes. You'll have bulls found, but as the rut arrives, they move.

Best thing is to learn the country and how to get around. If possible find some waters at the end of the summer that are still wet, and hopefully some waters away from roads somewhere.

Gas prices will usually let you know when you can start scouting!!

Good luck! Post us some pics at the end of September.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Depends on the unit whether big bulls will be findable before the rut. Previous years knowledge of the breeding areas that may be vacant before the rut is key in canyon/forest units. The bigger bulls stay hidden while the smaller bulls gather cows, you will start seeing bulls you didn't even know existed the first week of the archery hunt, on the second week, and the gatherers become satellite bulls.

If the first gatherers are 340/350 class bulls... look out, 'big' daddy is coming soon.

Kent

the main thing is to pattern the cows- bedding - feeding - waterholes-

for bulls ya basically got to wait for the buglin to start - 99% of the time they will be followin the cows -

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom