How to get away from roads when there are roads EVERYWHERE?!

cryptothedog

So I drew a wasatch east archery deer tag this year. I'm told most of the deer in that unit are around the current creek area. I've done a ton of scouting already and seen hundreds of Elk, over a hundred does and about 5 bucks. Only 1 of which I would shoot. What I have noticed about the unit is that there are road at the top of every ridge and bottom of every canyon. It doesn't seem like there is really a way to get away from roads in the unit. Does anyone have any tips for hunting areas like that? How do I get away from the roads and other hunters when it seems like they are everywhere?

Also I'm thinking that since there are roads that go along the highest parts of the unit that the deer may hang out lower due to pressure and the fact that there is water everywhere this year. Does that sound plausible? I've heard hunt high for water and food but if food/water exists everywhere this year because of the record winter/wet spring we have had, does that really apply?

Speaking specifically to the Wasatch, there are places where you can get a few miles away from a road, but if you keep walking you'll run into another ?

Big buck and bulls come off the unit every year, sometimes we tend to overthink and create a problem out of a solution. Use them to your advantage, don't try to get away from them.

One of the greatest lies ever sold to new hunters is that you must be in 14 miles, hunting farthest basin on the highest peak hiking through snow to have a chance at a big buck...... hunt where they are..... And all those back country animals people told you are there, aren't anymore because for the last 10 years thats all thats been talked about is back country hunting......

The biggest bucks ive seen hunting public land in the last 5 years haven't been more than a mile or at most 2 miles from a road. Some could have been shot from the road.....

One of the greatest lies ever sold to new hunters is that you must be in 14 miles, hunting farthest basin on the highest peak hiking through snow to have a chance at a big buck...... hunt where they are..... And all those back country animals people told you are there, aren't anymore because for the last 10 years thats all thats been talked about is back country hunting......

The biggest bucks ive seen hunting public land in the last 5 years haven't been more than a mile or at most 2 miles from a road. Some could have been shot from the road.....
yup. i have been hunting out of a backpack in wilderness areas since before it was cool. frankly i just like being back there, probably more then i even like the hunting. that being said i freakin love when i can road hunt. that was probably my favorite part of the pronghorn tag i had last year. was able to buy the big bag of sour patch kids

yup. i have been hunting out of a backpack in wilderness areas since before it was cool. frankly i just like being back there, probably more then i even like the hunting. that being said i freakin love when i can road hunt. that was probably my favorite part of the pronghorn tag i had last year. was able to buy the big bag of sour patch kids
Agreed. My first archery deer hunt was in a wilderness when I was 17 years old. My neighbor invited me and just told me this is what were doing. Were going to hike in about 5 miles and stay for a week. That was 20 years ago. I have hunted backpacked in a bunch since then and I have hunted near the road a bunch too. My biggest 3 bucks Ive killed were 5 miles, 1.5 miles and .8 miles from a road lol. And their scores go up, the closer to the road they were..........

I love the high country wilderness experience too but honestly if im looking for truly big deer anymore that's not my first choice!

It's impossible to avoid people on the Wasatch. But, you can hunt more often and longer hours than the other hunters. I shouldn't say impossible, but don't be surprised if you find another dude also trying to avoid other hunters.

Last year, I took my buck 2.3 miles from my truck after gaining about 1,300 feet in elevation. He was the second deer that I saw that entire day. He was not the biggest buck I encountered during hunting season, but he had a huge body and tasted amazing. Another hunter was parked 1/4 mile from me glassing from the ridgeline when I tagged out. I had no idea that there was a road up there. Nice guy, he helped me break down my deer and gave me a ride to my truck. He got a bigger buck than mine the next day (karma?).

Personally, I enjoy hiking up high and glassing. I don't see as many deer up high, but I like being up there. Especially, if I don't get cell service. Hunting is an adventure that ends when you punch your tag. The older I get, the more hesitant I am to punch my tag. If I take my kids, we road hunt and see 5x more deer.

Good luck.

20230803_170323.jpg

There Is A Way To Get Away From The Roads & Trails!

Canada Or The NW Territories!

It's So Ridiculous Here On The South Slope It's A Joke!

The Illegal Bittches on Their Quads Blaze Illegal Trails Every Year!

Then The USFS Puts Them On Their Maps As Legal Trails a Year Or Two Later!

There Is A Way To Get Away From The Roads & Trails!

Canada Or The NW Territories!

It's So Ridiculous Here On The South Slope It's A Joke!

The Illegal Bittches on Their Quads Blaze Illegal Trails Every Year!

Then The USFS Puts Them On Their Maps As Legal Trails a Year Or Two Later!
You must be slacking on your "tune-ups".

Most those roads were put in my the MDF for habitat improvement projects. Hope you enjoy hunting those 5 bucks in the unit! Good luck!

For years my son and I archery hunted near one of the most famous mountain roads in Utah. We would watch truck after truck drive by, stop and glass for 2-3 minutes and then move on.
Few guys really pick apart country when they road hunt. They are just hoping something stands in plain sight.
We found success hiking off the roads far enough to look into canyons that were not visible from the roads. We might only have to hike a half mile or less to find those spots, but we ALWAYS found good bucks. Most of them were found at first light or just before dark but they were there. Some were smokers, but they were smart enough to not poke their heads out where and when the crowds would see them.
My sheep hunting experience has taught me that good glassing time is measured in hours, not minutes and country that looks barren can hold an amazing number of animals at rest.

That sort of information is best kept to yourself.

For years my son and I archery hunted near one of the most famous mountain roads in Utah. We would watch truck after truck drive by, stop and glass for 2-3 minutes and then move on.
Few guys really pick apart country when they road hunt. They are just hoping something stands in plain sight.
We found success hiking off the roads far enough to look into canyons that were not visible from the roads. We might only have to hike a half mile or less to find those spots, but we ALWAYS found good bucks. Most of them were found at first light or just before dark but they were there. Some were smokers, but they were smart enough to not poke their heads out where and when the crowds would see them.
My sheep hunting experience has taught me that good glassing time is measured in hours, not minutes and country that looks barren can hold an amazing number of animals at rest.
second biggest buck i ever killed i watched a crew cab 350 with 4 guys in it drive by at 200 yards. i pulled over and shot it

I can think of some stunning country in that unit that isn't filled with roads. Not saying there aren't a lot of roads but maps and OnX should get you pointed in the right direction

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom