How to remove sheaths on antelope???

pauns08

Ok I shot an antelope in 2020 and took the cape to a taxidermist to get mounted and that ended up being an ordeal, long story short I lost the cape and a deposit. So now I want to put the horns on a reproduction skull to have it at least European mounted. What's the best way to get the sheaths off after this long?

soaking a good long time. Let them really saturate and give the usual twist to pop off is what I would try.
Ok thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying I've had it on hot water with some dawn dish soap for about 14 hours now was just hoping there was an easier way haha

Fill the water up half way up the horn and simmer. Ever so often, put the skull on the concrete and put a 2x4 between the horns. Put your foot on the 2x and twist on each horn with both hands. You’ll know if they ain’t ready.

I thought the hot water discolored the horns a bit. I like a black garbage bag with a couple cups of water, put the head in and wrap tight. Let sit a couple of days in the sun, most of the times horn comes off when I pick up the head without opening bag. Smells great :(

Tons of videos on you tube, twist and pull they pop right off. Why not use the actual skull for your mount?

Tons of videos on you tube, twist and pull they pop right off. Why not use the actual skull for your mount?
Ya I've watched the videos and that's the way I'm trying to do it but I think the videos are all of bucks that have recently been killed, this one was killed 3 years ago. We just skull capped it when we caped it because I was going to get it shoulder mounted but the reason for not mounting it now is in the "Anyone waiting on Justin brown" thread lol

I simmer several goat horns a year and haven’t seen any discoloration. I always wash em afterwards and brush in butcher block conditioner.

Ya I've watched the videos and that's the way I'm trying to do it but I think the videos are all of bucks that have recently been killed, this one was killed 3 years ago. We just skull capped it when we caped it because I was going to get it shoulder mounted but the reason for not mounting it now is in the "Anyone waiting on Justin brown" thread lol

You can still do a shoulder mount, go to taxidermy.net to find a cape.

put the head in a microwave for 5 minutes....test...then do it again till they pop off....
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Or....

1) Wait till your wife is asleep.
2) Slip them between her legs carefully.
3) When she wakes up screaming, you know they are done.

You can still do a shoulder mount, go to taxidermy.net to find a cape.
Ya that might be my plan in the future, the problem is I was waiting on the same taxidermist to do a deer head as well and I found another cape for the deer and its getting mounted right now but between losing both capes and deposits and having to buy another deer cape and pay another taxidermist to mount the deer im kinda tapped on cash for mounts at the moment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom