Huntin Kaibab...

H

huntmancam

Since my brother and our good friend got drawn for the 12a west early tag, I have started doing my homework. I ran into the DVD by Duwane Adams on How and Where to Hunt the Kaibab. Just wondering if anyone has this and if it useful or not. Thanks

I have the video but unless you have some general knowledge and layout of the area it is gonna be a tricky. The basics on glassing and where to look is useful. PM me and I help you further...

Duwane goes over the archery, early and late seasons. The archery is pretty much common sense, but he does give some good tips for the early and late hunts - which are really his specialty. He even gives a couple specific areas to hunt if you listen close enough. It's a good overview for those who've never been or maybe not experienced muley hunters, veteran kaibab hunters probably already know where to go and what to do. It is the only DVD I know of that strictly focuses on the Kaibab which makes it unique.

KaibabHntr
www.KeyToTheKaibab.com
Everything you need and need to know to hunt AZ unit 12A!

just go glass and more glass, you will find deer, hope and pray for snow, couple years ago it snowed on the early hunt and duwanes camp took three bucks around the magic 200" mark all of duwanes videos are pretty good

I have hunted the kaibab 12a west early rifle hunt twice since 2001,both times I purchased a map service from Duwane Adams,both times it proved very helpful and would do it again if the chance comes again.All he said was right on the money,I stayed away from the crowds,saw several bucks and was able to tag nice bucks both times.The cost of the map service is about what you probaly pay in gas on one scouting trip up to the plateau.

Thats exactly the responses I was hoping for, thanks so much guys, appreciate it a ton. I think I will go ahead and buy the dvd and a map from him.

vitalzone- is the map you get on his website along with his dvd and other stuff?

Thanks again guys

The most recent August issue of Rocky Mountain Game & Fish shows two bucks they shot last year, one being 227". He has hunted successfully for 30 years on the Kaibab. I would call him and just get a feel for what he knows. I know one thing, the cost of gas for one trip up there pre-scouting will cost you more than the map service....... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

you can contact him via a phone number which you can get from his website. Bura is right,give him a call and talk with Duwane a little,you will be impressed with his knowledge of hunting,mule deer and of the plateau.You have a chance of a lifetime in your hands, do your homework,study the area and enjoy your hunt.

HEY BURA NUT, OR DON MARTIN ......I JUST READ THAT ARTICLE IN RM GAME & FISH MAGAZINE. HOW IN THE WORLD DOES ANYBODY GET DRAWN FOR A GREAT TAG IN UNIT 12 LATE WITH NO POINTS AS THEY DID THE 2ND YEAR THEY HUNTED & KILLED THE JOHN WAYNE BUCK ???? .....YD

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-08 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]Yukon,

I wrote the "John Wayne" buck article about the Ferguson bucks. Take note that they are residents of Yuma, AZ and NOT nonresidents who stand little chance of drawing one of the 12A late season permits unless they have max bonus points.

There were 50 permits for the 2007 late eastside hunt, and 10 of them go into the 20% max BP pool. NRs can draw only 5 total permits for the hunt, and those are likely gobbled up on the 20%
go-round, thus leaving no NR permits available in the open draw for remaining permits.

The other 40 permits are up for grabs but normally go to residents only. So while having more bonus points can result in a lower number for the draw, a resident with no or few points has a legitimate shot at pulling a permit with any number of BPs if they are lucky.

And then there are guys like me -- a resident who again failed to draw a late Kaibab permit with 7 points. :-( -TONY

HEY TONY....YOU KNOW OUTDOOR WRITER BILL KRENZ?? I HUNTED DALLS IN THE YUKON WITH HIM IN 2005....HECK OF A NICE GUY. (GOOD ARTICLES YOU WRITE ALSO/ I'VE READ A FEW OF THEM)....YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-08 AT 11:39AM (MST)[p]>>THE BIG FACTOR HERE.....BUT 2 YEARS IN A ROW....WOW.....YD. <<

YD,

Yeah, I said the same thing when I interviewed the Fergusons on the phone. What's even more amazing is they both also drew sheep permits and killed good rams almost in their backyard.

I met Bill Krenz many years ago at a writer's conference, but I can't say I truly know him.

Where do you live?

Did you notice the minor screw-up in the John Wayne article where the deer turned into an elk? Here's part of an email I sent to my editor the other day. In his reply, he then blamed it on the "copy editor." -TONY

As for editing, I'm not sure I trust you after seeing how you changed a deer in the John Wayne buck article into an elk on pg. 46, halfway down in the first column. LOL

I wrote:

Not too long after passing up the first buck, they located another one Browning said was a good one. But just as Frank was ready to shoot, the deer disappeared behind a tree.

Fortunately, he was still visible to Margaret who was off to the side a ways with Aguilar. He ranged the deer at 240 yards. She rested her .308 rifle on a tripod and sent a 180-gr. bullet on its way.

Since "deer" and not "Frank" was the antecedent, "he" was quite appropriate. No doubt you MEANT to change it to buck or deer.

Your edit:

Fortunately, the elk was still visible to Margaret who was off to the side a ways with Aguilar. He ranged the deer at 240 yards. She rested her .308 rifle on a tripod and sent a 180-gr. bullet on its way.

-TONY

YEAH TONY, I DID CATCH THE ELK THING....THOSE THINGS JUST HAPPEN. I LIVE IN THE FRESNO CA. AREA, LOOK FORWARD TO MORE OF YOUR ARTICLES/ YOUR ALL OVER THE PLACE.....YD.

YD,

So do you also read California G&F magazine??

I did an article in it on the super blacktail Kirk Edgerton killed with his bow last year. But I don't have a subscription to it, so won't see the article until my editor mails me tear sheets. -TONY

hey OutdoorWriter, don't know nothing about you. What magazines/articles do you write for/written for? I have never been a big reader except for hunting articles. Where are you from? Just curious, thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-08 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p] YEAH TONY, I READ CA. GAME & FISH, RM GAME & FISH, HUNTING ILLUSTRARED, EASTMANS, MEMBER OF THE CARTER CLUB, PETERSENS HUNTING.....THATS ABOUT IT. SEEN YOUR NAME AROUND FOR AGES ON VERIOUS ARTICLES...YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-08 AT 11:00AM (MST)[p]huntmancam,

This a bio I have used in the past. It's a bit dated but will save me lots of typing.

In addition to what's listed below, I also contribute twice monthly to the National Shooting Sports Foundation's HUNT & SHOOT web site at:
http://www.huntandshoot.org/Opps/list.cfm?state=AZ

I do the items for the 10 western states that also includes AK amd HI.

And here's a link to a few of the feature articles I've written for Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine. They only post a couple online each month.

http://www.rmgameandfish.com/search...tename=rmgameandfish&scope=T&q="tony+mandile"

I also do a monthly IN THE FIELD column for RM G&F.

-TONY

Tony Mandile lives in Glendale, Ariz. and has wandered the waters and woods for more than 40 years in pursuit of game and fish. During that time, he has traveled around North America to fish or hunt in 39 states, 10 Canadian provinces, Africa, New Zealand and Mexico.

Mandile has been a full-time outdoor writer/photographer for 24 years and his 35-year active membership in the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) included three years on the board of directors. He has served on the board of the Western Outdoor Writers (WOW) and currently fills a board seat for the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA), which he helped organize in 2005. He also was a contributing editor for ARIZONA HUNTER & ANGLER magazine for 10 years, and spent nearly 7 years as the Arizona Editor for OUTDOOR LIFE magazine. Mandile finished his first book project -- HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER -- with noted guide Duwane Adams. He's now working on book #2.

Mandile's articles and photos have appeared in OUTDOOR LIFE, FIELD & STREAM, CABELA'S OUTFITTER JOURNAL, PETERSEN'S HUNTING, PETERSEN'S FISHING, AMERICAN HUNTER (NRA), DEER HUNTING, ROCKY MOUNTAIN GAME & FISH, CALIFORNIA G&F, WASHINGTON-OREGON G & F, ARIZONA HIGHWAYS, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTER, PENNSYLVANIA ANGLER, ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPORTSMAN, WESTERN OUTDOORS, BOWHUNTING WORLD, SOUTHWEST SPORTSMAN, SAFARI, ARIZONA WILDLIFE VIEWS and a few dozen other outdoor, conservation and travel publications.

Additional writing and photo credits include books, posters, product packaging, print ads and even the photo on a MasterCard credit card. More than 100 magazine covers have carried his byline. His photos have also won numerous awards in the annual photo contest sponsored by the OWAA, and Nikon selected several to appear in the company's prestigious Outdoor Photographers Showcase.

This is a photo that accompanies the "John Wayne Buck" article in the August Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine.

Ryan Hatch green scored Frank Fergusion's buck at 227 inches. Margaret's scored 174. -TONY

48861d4572338a72.jpg

Yukon, if I knew how to draw the tag with no points, I wouldnt say on here........LOL........I have put in for 6 years and keep hoping each year is my lucky one. I have helped out in Duwane's camps (Elk, Deer, Antelope) and have been fortunate to see the success year after year. I think alot of people dont realize that with the amount of pressure increasing each year on big bucks, you need to keep finding new spots that the bucks get pushed to. I know that Duwane is always looking for new honeyholes on the Kaibab so when the pressure gets too bad at other areas, he has a back up plan. That kind of knowledge takes alot of time and he sure puts time up there............ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Outdoor Writer, I am feeling a little embarrassed now that I asked who you are and not know your work( Like I just shook the hand of president bush and asked him what he does for a living). After reading your bio I know now I have read many of your articles, just never read who wrote the thing. Got quite the resume by the way. For now on I will be looking at the author of the article I read. Even though I am a little embarrassed, I also feel a little honored now that I have unofficially met you...

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help on pointing me in the right direction for the hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-08 AT 02:04PM (MST)[p]huntmancam,

No need for embarrassment. Lots of folks read articles and never look at the author. I sometimes do it myself even though who writes something is somewhat more important to me than it is to most readers who aren't in the business.

Anyway, now when you see my name on an article or photo, you'll know who I am. Heck, you can even say you know me if you want. :D -TONY

How much does Duwayne charge for his Map thing and what does it include?
I am familiar with the Kaibab and choose to hunt and area that has produced in the past. I would like to try a different approach this year however, as my wife and daughter both have tags. I am looking at all of my options I guess and putting more study into it this year for some reason.
Bugler

You'd have to ask Duwane what it costs...520-385-4995. He highlights 2 or more spots on a map and includes VERY specific info on where to camp, park, hunt etc. He'll also go into day 1, 2, 3, etc strategies (what to do if this happens/what to do if that happens.)If I had a deer/elk premium tag, drew a tag in a season I don't normally hunt or am unfamiliar with a unit I would probably drop the $ to do it. But that's just me.

KaibabHntr
www.KeyToTheKaibab.com
Everything you need to hunt AZ unit 12A!

JD, I believe the map service is around 400.00 That is what a scouting trip will end up costing now that gas is 4.00 per gallon. You already are familiar with the unit so this may not be for you, but maybe some of the areas he points out on a map are ones you are not familiar with. I know for sure that Duwane is always learning new areas up there because the amount of pressure from people forces him to go where the deer get pushed to. The other big question each year is what the weather will do. Last year alot of the bucks were still up high, they killed the John Wayne buck on top. Couple years back in 2004 Duwanes group killed two big bucks on the early hunt and one was from on top west side and the bottom of the east side. It had froze for about a week but the deer were spread out all over..........Hope your family shoots some nice ones............. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Thanks Allen. We'll have to see what the weather does. I am predicting snow early this year. That is more of a wish LOL. But I have a couple "new" areas I am going to check out. Probably scout it out after the archery season to get some bearings. I like to move around if I am not finding what I am after.
I am more excited about going than the girls are I am sure! I am already getting the shakes about it and starting to get stuff organized. Melinda calls it "the disease." I am reading his book however.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom