Hunting Bears with a bow

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
I was just wondering if you need to buy a bow permit to hunt bears with a bow? I know this last year when I was hunting Elk with my super tag they stopped me and asked me for my permit.

yes in idaho you must have an archey permit to hunt with a bow but i believe it depends on the season but check the regs cause if it does not strictly state that you cant then its leagal for instace in idaho you cannot use mechanical broadheads but you can use them to hunt turkeys cause it does not state in the turkey regs that you cant idfg told me that personally

You need a permit for designated "archery only" hunts. You can shoot bears with any weapon. So if you wanted to use a muzzleloader you can use one with a scope and high power primers,but in a designated weapon hunt you have to follow the set restrictions. Buy a permit anyways and it wont matter! Good luck.

Thanks for the information! I am planning on trying to take a bear witha bow this year and just want to make sure I dont get tagged by f&g for not having all the right permits!

So the majority of the Idaho bear hunts are "any weapon" hunts, so you are confirming he can use archery equipment without an "archery endorsement" on his license.

But are we not still subject to mechanical type broadhead restrictions, even while using a bow on an any weapon hunt?

Yes, see page 67 of the Big Game Rules book. When hunting with archery gear (in any season, general or archery only) broadhead, arrow weight, and draw weight rules apply.

If you read the "Ask F&G" section on there website, one of the answers say that you only need an archery validation during archery-only hunts. It also said you can not use expandables on big game. That's why you can use them on turkeys, because they are not big game.

"Suck it, terrorists," -Keith Stone

Bowhunting bears with a bow is an awesome experience. Nothing like being 10-15 yards from them at the moment of truth. Try it from a ground blind for an even more heart pounding experience. 2/3 that we shot last year were from the ground and just being that close to them at eye level is very exciting!

You will need an archery permit.

Good luck!

8755blind.jpg

You do not need an archery validation for bears. It is a little confusing because you have to have it for an archery only season i.e. deer and elk. For those thinking you need it you should double check with the fg I did.

If your hunting with a bow(doesnt matter what your hunting)you must have an archery validation! It confirms that you have taken the archery education class or have signed the affidavit.

ridgeline outdoors

You only need your validation in archery only hunts. You can ask F&G in person or on their website and that's what they will tell you. You have an archery ed # on your hunting license wether you have the buy the validation or not.

that is the way it should be !!! but "IT IS NOT REQUIRED BY F&G" for bears in an ANY WEAPON hunt same as expandable broadheads you can hunt Turkeys with them but not Big Game !! some more Einstein Logic passed thru our legislators

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom