Hunting boots for youngsters

400bull

Very Active Member
With hunting season just around the corner I find myself in the need of getting my kids new hunting boots this year. I remember growing up were my dad would always run down and purchase some of the cheapest snow boots that he could find at the local K-mart store. I cannot remember a year where my feet did not get cold. I am not going to do that same thing to my kids but at the same time I don't want to take out a second mortgage to purchase a pair of boots that will only last a year or two before they out grow them. So what boots have you bought your youngsters that have kept their feet warm and dry throughout the season without spending a ton of cash on?

400bull

400: It depends on if your kids are still really small or if they can fit into kids youth size 1-2 or bigger. The smaller sizes we didn't have much to choose from only a couple of companies that offered a decent quality waterproof boot. Once our Kids and Grandkids got to size 1-2 we started using Hi-Tech or Vasque brand, good gripping soles, durable and quality made. They grow out of them so fast anyway. They use the boots for hunting, hiking, and in the snow. Good boots that cost some but don't break the bank.

))))-------->

For my oldest he is in a size 10 men shoe. Dang near the same size I wear. I am thinking that he has got to be slowing down so I am willing to spend a little more for him to get a boot that will last. For him I have been looking at the Cabelas Iron Ridge boots for about $100.00. My younger boy is in a size 7 (plus or minus) youth I think. He is the one I don't want to spend to much on because I know that it is going to be a one and done type of thing. For him I have been eying the"Trekker? 10" 800-gram Insulated Waterproof Hunting Boots" for about $60.00.

Cabelas Iron Ridge boot
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1208006&cImage=s7_813739_530_01

Trekker? 10" 800-gram Insulated Waterproof Hunting Boots
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=752269&cImage=s7_813345_999_01

400bull

I buy my kids boots off of ebay. I normally find some top quality boots on there cheap.

I buy them used normally. I tell my kids they took them off some dead guy.... They seem okay with that.

He is wearing Lowas right now that I got for about $100 used. They are top quality.

NMPaul that is funny :) I don't blame U One bit. You got a big problem 400 :) Your kids are BIG and use adult size boots from what I read/ that costs $$ if you want2keep them warm. Since your into adult sizes I can't help you because you know your pocket book and what you can afford. I agree that you need 2keep them warm so look at the sales and or Cabela's. for a good boot in your price range that is water proof and will do the job for your boys. I don't think a Brand matters at this point as long at it is a quality boot you can always at least "hand me down" one pair to the youngist.....Shop on line and find a good deal you can always send back the ones that don't make your cut....

))))------->

Yes- boots and clothes are always a dilemma with growing kids. We've had good luck with waterproof Alpine Design hikers from Sports Authority, and a brand called game winner from Academy sports and outdoors down here in Texas. From all I can tell, it's a pretty well-made boot for 40 bucks. And we've never had a pair leak or cause blisters on our kids.

Good luck-

WH

Braodside,

I have the sock thing covered. Several years ago when I finally convinced my wive to go hunting with me I broke down and bought my first pair of wool socks. After the hunt was over she told me that was her first time hunting without getting cold feet. That really surprised me because I was wearing the same boot but cotton socks and my feet froze. I have since then brought several pairs of wool socks and liners for everyone. Between that and purchasing good thermals was the best money I have ever spent.

Thanks for the boot suggestion. I'll look around local to see if I can find any of the boots mentioned. I wish I would have started the search earlier because I'm sure I could find a pair in the classifieds or Ebay. But I don't have the time right now. We will be leaving town next Thursday to get all setup for the hunt.

400bull

I always look for closeouts and specails. I got one of my boys some Danner prong horns for 89.00 bucks. Most of the time they grow out of them the first year. So by cheep and make sure they are water proof.

I have bought 2 pair of Georgia boots for my oldest 2 daughters. They have awesome boots that the girls say are comfortable. They are nice and light weight and water proof. They have worn them about 3-4 times a year for 2-3 days at a time for the past 5 years and they have held up great.

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom