Hunting camo????

Ghost

Hello all! I am brand new to hunting and this forum(which is awesome btw) to give everyone some background I was a military brat but came from MD. I was heavy into fishing and never really thought about hunting as I didn't really have anyone to go with and teach me. When I got stationed here i saw some great opportunities for both. Now I'm doing a DIY archery hunt out of 511(I know not to expect much) with some buddies just to get my feet wet. I've gathered a ton of reasearch but my question is could I hunt with my old ABU camo with some scent control base layers? Or should I spend the money and get the "top end" gear like sitka?

Your standard Abu camo will work fine. Anything that will break up and not solid in color will work good. I used army woodland camo for years. No need to spend the money. The best thing to remember is watch your wind, control your scent, and move slowly.

good luck

I figured for archery season that camo would be fine but what about the colder months being the material is 50%cotton 50% polyester material? Thank you for the response!

Just remember the old saying you can fool there eyes and ears but not there nose.Good luck on your hunt

I've always had "cheap" cotton camo clothes. It was all my parents could afford to buy when I was a kid so that's what I bought as a grown up. Last year, I bought a used pair of Kuiu attack pants and I have since bought another pair. They aren't cheap....bout $130 I think. A pair of pants will last me 10 years...well worth the money. I love these pants because they are extremely comfortable. They flex with my body. I don't need a base layer for most situations as they retain heat well. I wish I would've bought these pants years ago. You definitely get what you pay for with attack pants. I'm sure the same is for Sitka.

Hope this helps.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-17 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]I always buy for material, not Camo pattern. The best Camo pattern is the one on sale!

As long as you have a good base layer (NOT cotton) and good breathable waterproof rain gear it doesn't matter as much what the middle layers are as long as you don't get too hot or too cold. Most of the time in archery season/ muzzleloading season i use a lightweight shirt and pants. Cotton is ok but there are better choices. The only time I buy Sitka is when they are 50% off. Cabelas microtex is a good all around choice for a September hunt. If you watch all year you can usually pick up some deals.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Keep an eye on camofire.com

Some great close out camo clothing with fair prices too.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

It took two years to get it cheap, but I got a ton of Sitka gear off of Ebay, probably $1500 worth of clothing for under $400.

Save ur money, skip the scent control.

I watched a thing on tv w/dogs.....they tested the ability of dogs to find people when masking their scent. They started just by hiding, then step #2, step #3 was rubber boots and maximum scent control....it didnt slow down the dogs one bit, in fact, the dogs got faster, I assume because the dogs learned what was expected and did it better.
John 14:6

Camo is over rated. I think people like it just for the looks. I've hunted in various camo and non camo and haven't found much difference. I still use som BDU woodland camo and have some new high tech camo. There is a difference in the high tech stuff as far as being comfortable, but it is costly.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom