Hunting Clothes

Triton99

I’m going on my first antelope hunt this year in Wyoming. I really need new camo clothes. Any suggestions on pattern, brand, good websites for deals? Thanks in advance!

Unless you are bow hunting, camo is kind of irrelevant. More for us than the tricking the critters, full disclosure I own plenty of fancy pajama camo. It’s comfy, but really it comes into play archery hunting and Turkey/ waterfowl hunting. Outside of that just get some comfy out door clothes for chasing pronghorn.

Get solid earth tone clothes. Green, tan, brown etc. you can wear your fancy quality stuff ( Sitka, Kuiu etc ) around town around instead of just hunting. Agree with above camo is hunters. My hunting buddy wears solids in earth tones. Not moving it is almost the same as camo, movement is what gets you.

For the country we hunt- the trick is to use cover to get on them- and camo makes no difference when you are running along that draw to pop up next to a sagebrush.

If you are in line of sight- they will see you fo sure. Then it's simply a matter of whether they think you are a threat or not.

Wear whatever the ranchers do- maybe the lopes will think you are rounding up cattle :cool:

Another possible helpful hint- in my experience the thing that will make antelope skittish is a stopping vehicle. They know.

And I've walked up to within 250 yards of a buck by just angling 30 degrees off and using a normal pace (no crouching like a lion, no running like I'm hell bent on getting to them). All why wearing dull grey shorts and a BRCC t-shirt. And when you use that tactic- try to stay visible the whole time- because if you disappear for a minute, it will make them nervous and bolt. Doesn't always work- but in flat country your options are limited.

Last edited:
Im a big fan of comfortable clothes that are solids. Like mentioned above there is no need for camo 90% or more of the time. Sitka, Kuiu, first light solids are all my choices. I wear the lightweight Kuiu tiburon every day at work and for warm weather hunts. Not real durable but extremely lightweight and comfortable.
3391.jpeg

HikeHunt has it figured.

Depending on the amount of vehicular traffic and gun fire…..

If it’s the second Wednesday of your hunt. Stop our vehicle out of sight, quietly get out and slowly walk on a slight agle toward a lone buck, waving a red or white bandanna over your head as you go. Stop every once in a while but keep waving the bandanna. Try it, it might surprise you how close he’ll let you get, might even meet you halfway, if you give him a chance………

He don’t care what your wearing.

Another possible helpful hint- in my experience the thing that will make antelope skittish is a stopping vehicle. They know.

And I've walked up to within 250 yards of a buck by just angling 30 degrees off and using a normal pace (no crouching like a lion, no running like I'm hell bent on getting to them). All why wearing dull grey shorts and a BRCC t-shirt. And when you use that tactic- try to stay visible the whole time- because if you disappear for a minute, it will make them nervous and bolt. Doesn't always work- but in flat country your options are limited.
Avoid looking directly at animals and you'll be surprised how little you intimate them. Some say avoid eye contact but I believe it's less about them seeing your eyes, than it is seeing both eyes. Prey animals know what a predator is and predators have eyes in the front of their heads. I think this is what the angling 30 degrees does, keeps only one eye visible to the antelope. The crouching is a great point too, you're not less intimidating when you crouch, you're more. There's a great video from a couple summers ago of a woman in South Dakota getting charged by a bison, the bison didn't care one bit until she crouched, then it was on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom