hunting in hawaii

taximan

Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted while on the big island of Hawaii? Going there soon, if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.

>Just wondering if anyone has ever
>hunted while on the big
>island of Hawaii? Going
>there soon, if anyone has
>any insight I would appreciate
>it.

Never been but you could shoot a wild cow!!! I know turkey hunting, hogs, and few other options are there, if I ever get back to Hawaii I am going to hunt something. Last time I went was in High School. I did get to go Snow skiing in Hawaii!

The big island has good hunting on it. Mauna kea has moughlan and wild sheep, elevations nearly 14k there is public and private depending on what face you are on.

Check with Overton/Mosnar/Ransom and 1911 they have a done it before on the Big Island. Ransom still has the smelly head/horns in his garage there from his hunt about 5 years ago.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I do know there is wild pig hunting on the big island. I had a knife customer who had me design a "pig sticker" that he was going to use on finishing off hogs in the brush when his arrows did not kill them outright. He advised that the pig hunting was very good and he hunted them several times a year.

RELH

I am going to the big Island, it would be cool to kill a big Hog or Boar, thanks for all the replies. Those goats are kind of stinky. I don't like to work on them, its hard to get it out of their hair and horns to be able to put them inside after they are mounted.

Lucky bugger!

You're going hunting where it's warm and leaving us in this terrible cold stuff?

Have fun Mr Taximan!

Zeke

I did a bowhunt on Kauai, and got within bow range on both pigs and goats, but was unable to seal the deal. One was about a 200 pound black boar that I passed to let my daughter have the shot, and she had nodded off behind the blind.

I think the Big Island has much more opportunity. Hunting is one of the cheapest things you can do in Hawaii, definitely the most bang for buck thing we did.

Good luck over there, taximan!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I lived there while in the Marines. We would train in the jungle and at times it was so thick you had to crawl through them damn hog trails. Kinda scary coming face to face to one not expecting it. We also would train in the lava fields on the big island and that is where we would drop all the ordinance. There was a big stink about all the pigs and goats we was killing by doing that. I remember protesters out there holding up signs all the damn time.

I've hunted the Big Island Hawaii, Maui, and Lanai.
Here are some pics of the big island. On the east slope of Mauna Loa above Volcanoes NP you can find pure Mouflon. My wife found this skull.
6785img_2418.jpg

And we hunted pig on Mauna Kea at about 9,000ft
All hunts were public land.

8568img_2343.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom