Hunting is...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-04 AT 06:30AM (MST)[p]Doesn't work for me....I don't have to kill an animal to have hunted. I hunt for big bucks and if I don't pull the trigger that particular season doesn't diminish the "hunt" at all for me. This season I missed a very respectable buck and was totally fulfilled with my hunt anyway. The object of hunting to me is to outwit whatever species you are hunting at their own game in their enviornment, I did. I just didn't shoot very well this particular time $#@%*$# (SORRY). Hunting is different for many people it just depends on what your out there for. I hunt because I'm A HUNTER and darn proud of it!!!. Hunting for me has NOTHING to do with the kill.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-04 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p]I would have to agree with Kingfish.

I hunt for the challenge of outwitting an animal who has senses and capabilities of detection of danger that outclass humans. I try to figure out an area first then hunt it after I have thought about it from the animals perspective doesn't always work but I have walked some areas where people don't always want to get into. Hell some days I just follow trails or fresh tracks just to see where the animals are going.

Mostly it about being one on one with prey, which a great majority of time they win. But that's kool with me always next year

Hunt to learn, learn to hunt

Didn't read the link yet, but if it has nothing at all to do with the kill, why do we continue to do it? If the kill wasn't involved wouldn't a camera work just as well?

Honestly I'm not stirring the pot. I tend to agree that the kill is not a large part of the hunt, and it does not have to occur to have a great trip.

For example last fall in Alaska, I had over 130 digital super pics taken. Video too. It was a great trip and an honor to be there. Yet the trip ended with me killing a caribou that I really liked, even though we saw very few I had passed ones others would shoot.

And after I killed him, I felt even more fulfilled. Even more fulfilled every time we had sausage and steaks. (Less fulfilled after a 3.5 mile hike over the tundra with half a bull in my pack :) -- actually that was really rewarding part too.

So I suppose to me it all comes together in small parts. Mind you I've had super trips without killing anything, but I am always trying to kill.

Jeff

I agree with you that you don't need to "kill' to have enjoyed yourself outdoors. The last sentence in the article states it plainly..."The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed form the equation." I like the fourth paragrah and it's relation to being self-sufficient, that's a lot of why I put the link on here to share.

Ultimately, we as hunters, will kill game whether it's for food or trophy reasons. It is essentially the culmination of the hunt. I can't say I see a lot of photos on here with guys or gals smiling and posing next to the heavy antlered bull or buck that's running away in the back of the photo. The animals are stone cold dead.

Maybe the author could have used "harvest" in place of "kill" and made it easier to swallow. Anyway you cut it, we kill at the end of the game. Not maliciousley or with bloodlust, but we take life, that's part of being a hunter.

Didn't intend to start any controversy, just glad to see it got some gray matter bubbling and us thinking.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-04 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]Wow...the way this started, I thought some of you guys were gonna get pumped up...cooler heads prevail once again it seems.

I agree it is not all about the kill. But you can not take the kill out of the eqation as to why we hunt. With out the kill it is not hunting at all. It would simply be "Looking"
Sure, a lot of the time, infact 99% of the time we are not killing, we are looking for the right animal to kill. To some that may be the first animal they see, for others it may be what they consider a trophy and may pass on hundereds of animals before killing the one they find as special or most chalenging. But guys, you can not take the kill out of hunting, it is an intrical part of the whole experience. It would be like taking out the comroderie you have with fellow hunters, the thrill of the chase is gone as well if you do not at some point pull the trigger.
None of us would be hunting if there was not a kill at some point. If there was no kill then this web site would not exist or maybe it would be called "Watching Monster Muley's"
Thats my two cents.

"We MUST Hunt"

I have read the preceeding posts. It is difficult to articulate what hunting means to hunters, and I think this explains the dissatisfaction expressed for the article. How can one brief article articulate what hunting means to us? It must inevitably fail.

Sure, the kill is an integral part of hunting. If killing wasn't part of it, we wouldn't need to carry guns. It is not ALL of the hunt. Different people hunt for different reasons. I am relatively new to big game hunting. I took my first deer, a doe, in 2002. I took my second deer, a small 3x3 buck, in 2003. I took my first pronghorn antelope, a doe, about 12 days ago (my 14 year old son took his first big game animal, a buck pronghorn, the day earlier). I hope to take more deer the week of Thanksgiving. I like to cook, and venison is an excellent meat around which to build an excellent meal. I like to give venison packages away to friends. For me hunting success is closely tied to killing game. This is not saying that I hunt only to kill or that the killing is the whole of the experience for me. I like sitting in the blackness before the dawn comes, seeing the stars, seeing Orion, the hunter, I like hearing owls solemnly hoot to one another. I like the smell of fall leaves in the air. I like the anticipation of unexpected action. I like the feel of a dependable, handsome rifle in my hands. I like walking over the hills and through the woods to my ambush spot (I most often hunt on the ground, hidden under a tree or behind a bush). I think as I become more experienced, I could come to hunt and feel successful even without taking game. So perhaps the centrallity of the kill is a matter of hunting maturity, or the phase of hunting that one is in?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom