hunting partner ethics

opbuckslayer

Just wondering everyones take on this situation?

Hunter "A" and hunter "B" are hunting together when "A" spots a very nice buck a pretty good distance away. "A" attempts a shot and hits the buck in the shoulder area but not immediately fatal. The hunters split up and go in the direction of the deer to try and put the buck down before they lose him. In the end it is "B" who makes the fatal shot on the buck that was still on the move with only 3 working legs. The question is who's buck is it?

I know what I think and how I operate when hunting with partners but thought I would take an informal poll. This situation came up recently to a couple guys I know and has caused a riff in their friendship. Everyones input would be appreciated.

Wasn't much of a friendship and I don't care how big the deer is. I would say B who fired the fatal shot as the deer might have got away. I wouldn't hunt with a guy we would have a problem with who got the deer.

Simple for me. If I'm hunting with my friends or anyone that is with our hunting group regardless of how well I know them, first blood takes the buck. If they would offer it to me because I made the killing shot, I'd politely refuse. In actuality that'd be the case even if I wasn't hunting with them and came upon their buck. There's too much drama over this stuff in my opinion and it can easily lead to resentment between friends. Why even go down that road when you can make it a very simple decision for all involved.

Hunter B..

kinda like if hunter A shoots a buck. buck lives through the year and hunter B kills him a year later. does hunter A get him cause he wounded him.

but back in the day of hunter saftey class they taught us the first to draw blood.

tough call. hope i dont ever have to be in that spot.

wouldn't even be a question for me,,,,,,,, if it was one of my friends hunting with me we would split it ,,,,, no questions asked ,,,,, now to be clear it would have to be a friend not an acquaintance ,,,,,,,,, if was an acquaintance it would n be B

>Simple for me. If I'm hunting
>with my friends or anyone
>that is with our hunting
>group regardless of how well
>I know them, first blood
>takes the buck. If they
>would offer it to me
>because I made the killing
>shot, I'd politely refuse. In
>actuality that'd be the case
>even if I wasn't hunting
>with them and came upon
>their buck. There's too much
>drama over this stuff in
>my opinion and it can
>easily lead to resentment between
>friends. Why even go down
>that road when you can
>make it a very simple
>decision for all involved.

This.

This could be argued forever. There are to many what if's in these situations.
What if hunter A would of missed the buck? Would of hunter B had a second chance? Maybe the buck would of went a different route and never been seen again. It's probably best to discuss these type of things before going into the field. In our group it's typically who draws first blood. Unless it's just a grazing shot.
Again lot's of what if's ...

If the first shot caused enough damage to slow the animal down, or for you to be able to slip back up on it, that animal belongs to the person who fired that shot. If the shot just caused an old cowboy movie flesh wound, where no serious damage was done, and healing back up was pretty much a sure bet, then that's another story. "You shoot first, if you don't connect, I'll back you up", happens all the time. If the animal could have and would have gotten away, and the second shooter nails it, it should belong to the second shooter. On the other hand, if the spotter wants full rights to the opportunity, he's the only one that should be doing the shooting, first shot, second shot, and finishing shot, in most cases. If he misses completely, so be it. Another day brings new opportunities for everyone. Like was pretty much said, if you're hunting with true friends, these issues were probably settled a long time ago. We don't even have to talk about it. We just know.

A's shot get's him the deer.

If I was hunter B, I would be happy with helping out my partner A. In my mind, I get to help out the buddy and still get to continue hunting as his tag is burned. Of course, some folks are so caught up in trophy animals, and this is a problem for our sport. But, I think the guy who is bummed as hunter B (because he cannot claim the animial) is missing the point.

If hunter A wants to call it a team deer that is fine, if they are good with sharing it, I have no problem with that. If hunter B is a kid and it is his first deer, no issue with calling it his deer. But these are hunter A's calls in my book.

I just would be fine with being hunter B and continuing my hunt.

The rule of first blood states "The first hunter to place a shot in the animals vital area, which draws enough blood to leave a trackable trail and thus has a good chance of bringing the animal to his or her possession, may claim the animal. Conversely, if the first hunter feels that the wound was superficial in nature and recovery of the animal was not likely, that hunter should give up claim to the game if another hunter brings it to the ground."

A Cordless Sawzall fixes any problem!

Cut the animal exactly in half!

Then cut each Antler off at the Base!

Each Hunter gets 1/2 the Meat & one Antler!

What's not to like?

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

It's hunter "A" who gets the buck. If the bullet not only broke the leg but entered the body cavity at some point, First good Blood!

This was a topic in a thread not too long ago. At that time, i expressed my concern that this not a universal law between all the western states or even areas within the Same State. In this case, two friends are at odds. Imagine two tough hard headed hunters out there, or two groups, neither going to give in. It's completely conceivable that someone could be killed!

I truly believe this issue needs to be addressed by the whole hunting community similar to the Compact that follows convicted wildlife violators from State to State.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hunter A's buck....more than likely hunter B would have never even got a chance at it if it werent for his buddy hitting the animal in the first place.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 01:01AM (MST)[p]The age old argument that will never gain universal acceptance, one way or the other........until you want to check the law.

The person who actually KILLS the animal is the one who MUST tag it.

That was the Warden's answer in Colorado this year.

It is illegal to tag an animal that someone else has KILLED and it is illegal NOT to tag an animal that YOU killed.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Is it really worth all the headache? My hunting partner and I went over this 30 years ago and ironed it out in 15 seconds. We don't shoot anybody's deer for them. You shoot first, you better keep on shooting.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 01:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 01:46?AM (MST)

Maybe it's different every time it happens. Depends on the kind of people you hunt with.

Most of the guys I hunt with would rather let you tag it, whether you hit it first or last because who ever tags it has to hang up there rifle. Our fights where always over who HAD to tag it, not over who got to.

Some of us would rather hunt than eat.

Now if it's packing extra special head gear...............but that never happens so I guess it would never be an issue.

Nickman and others, here is a situation that very well may come up and why this issue has me so concerned.

Hunter "A" see's a great trophy buck. puts a sneak on him, and makes a well placed shot. The deer is still on his feet, will be dieing shortly, but manages a death run that puts him in plain sight of hunter "B" who watches him slow down and stop. Before the deer falls over dead, Hunter B puts a good shot on this trophy buck and being closer to this buck than hunter A, he goes ahead and claims the deer as his own. Hunter A shows up a few minutes later and insists the trophy buck is his, neither will willing give up rights to the trophy. Each hunters friends show up and tempers flair.

I have clearly read several testimony's, here in these pages, claim that they are right and if them in a situation like this, either way, the buck was, no doubt about it, going home with them no matter what it took!

I do believe there is reason to be concerned even though this probably would never happen to me, it is too much of a grey area that i believe should/needs be addressed.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

B......he killed it

A....go back to the shooting range and learn to shoot.

If the buck only went 50 yards or less and was lethally wounded then I could see a good friend telling A it was A's buck. But, if that buck goes 75....100.....400 yards....then B put the buck down and A needs to learn to shoot.

If they weren't friends and the buck went 200 yards and B killed it the law states that B gets the buck. So, just because they are friends doesn't change it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Where I hunt, the law indicates it is hunter B's buck and he is obligated to tag it. If A tags it after B kills it, it is a violation. Ethics and legalities are not always congruent. Work it out. If it is something both parties can't agree too amicably, then go definitely just go with what the law said. I prefer to hunt alone anyway, excepting the kids, so it is moot.

Most hunters would be wise to have a conversation about this type of situation before it comes up. I was raised on the 1st shooter gets the buck. Others were raised who ever made the fatal shot thats why there is confusion when it happens. Talk with your hunting partner before you go hunting. I had a couple of friends who had shot a 34" buck and both had shot. Instead of ruining friendships they flipped a coin, remained friends and still hunt together to this day.

In Utah, hunter B is required to tag the buck by law.

Who gets to keep the rack and meat after the fact is a bit more convoluted.

I can't imagine wanting a critter that my buddy spotted and shot first. Taking a wounded animal and losing a friendship, all so you can brag over it is the epitome of a selfish POS IMHO.

Cheers,
Pete

Kind of funny, what with all the "ethics posse" members on these pages, something this legally cut and dry is even being discussed.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Wow I appreciate all the responses to my informal poll. I'm kinda surprised at the wide variety of the responses from "A","B",Sawsall the skull plate in half and finally,"A" needs to learn how to shoot while "B" gets the buck mounted!

I was raised a "first blood" guy and my personal morals would never let me hang that buck on the wall if I am "B". We always go with the "all hands on deck" philosophy when a critter is hit so no one has to experience the feeling of losing an animal.

I appreciate all the opinions and the legal perspective as well. Keep them coming, this is quite interesting for sure.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]Sounds like something I'd question after it was wounded and before we split up. I have a couple buddies who would probably insist its their's and another buddy who wouldn't care. Personally I wouldn't want to risk shooting a deer and then have someone else tag it to only find out the warden was up on the hill watching. I'd assume if A was a law abiding hunter, he'd insist B tag it.

From the story I think it should be Hunter A's Buck.

Hunter A shot the Buck first, both hunters hunting together go after it. Hunter B finishs it off knowing that he was chasing Hunter A's wounded buck.

Pretty Simple.

The First Blood rule is good for "Yes/No" situations but we all know each story has a little bit different senario.

Just use common sense and leave jealously out of it and usually you make the right decision.

I think they should square-off and throw a few insults about their membership in respective hunting orgs. After a few choice insults they should throw a couple fists and the winner gets the deer and the whiner does not.

Actually we all know what the law says must be done but situations are rarely cut-and-dried (especially when it's a big one).

In our group we've always said first "fatal" blood gets the critter but I hunt with people who will argue that the OTHER guy should take it regardless of who shot when.

I agree with others; it's not worth a friendship to actually have hard feelings over a dead animal.

I suspect this situation happens more frequently than I originally thought since it is a reoccurring theme.

Good luck working it out,
Zeke

How often does this actually happen? I've shot over 150 deer in the last 44 years often hunting alone but sometimes with a partner and never had this happen to me. I guess I've been lucky.

If I was B I would give it to my friend if legally possible and most of my friends would do the same if they were B. First blood rule to me is kind of silly, if I graze his butt I've drawn blood but I don't think I should get the deer.

I don't believe the assertions above that the "law" is explicit in this situation. No doubt most states have a law that the shooter must tag the deer, to prevent grandma back in camp from tagging a deer some else shot (party hunting). But when two hunters shoot the same deer, it is not immediately obvious who killed the deer.

Most states that address this situation ascribe ownership to the first person to make a lethal shot. Details are a bit lacking in the above example, but if the first shooter broke a shoulder and put a round into the boiler room, then this seems to obviously be a fatal shot, even if it took a few minutes. Although unlikely, it is possible the second shooter just added a flesh wound and the deer finally succumbed from the first shot.
Conversely, if the first shot broke the leg below the knee, and the buck was just hobbling on the broken leg, then this is not a quickly lethal wound, and the second shooter likely killed the animal.
The law is not designed to work out every possible contingency, and our courts are full of cases where even simple laws are disputed by the perpetrator and the victim. Do the right thing for the situation, and don't rely on the law or others to solve these solutions.
Bill

I actually had this happen to me many years ago.A close buddy and I were hunting mulies.I spotted 3 bucks on the edge of a quakie grove.One was a shooter.We agreed since I spotted them that I would get first crack.We also agreed that if I missed,it was open season on the buck.
The buck was facing directly away with his head turned towards us.I aimed for the small portion of his neck that I could see.
I fired and he didn't go down.A split second later,my buddy fired and the buck went down.
When we got to the buck and began field dressing him,we found out that I had made a(sorry Texans-no offense intended)Texas heart shot.My bullet had actually gone up the poop chute into the vitals for a killing shot.However,my buddy claimed the buck based on Wyoming law,which is as Nickman and others have stated.
He had never killed a big buck before,and I had taken a few,so I didn't put up any argument with him.He was very excited about the buck.I figured it wasn't worth fighting about and possibly losing a friendship over.
The bad part is this:I had a problem with him using the law over ethics.I killed that buck;he just hadn't hit the ground before my buddy shot.If the shoe was on the other foot,as soon as I found out that his bullet had been a kill shot,I would have put my knife away and told him to get his out and finish gutting his animal.There would have been no question in my mind that it would have been the right thing to do.This situation put a strain on our friendship for many years.Not because I needed another good rack;but because of his attitude.He even told me that my shot was a killing shot.WTF?
We grew apart for many years after that incident.That was 30 some years ago,and we have put it behind us and moved on.We fish together frequently and never bring up the subject of that hunt.
My ethics are mine,and I'm not trying to push them on anyone(don't get riled up,nickman!).
But in my opinion,first blood wins this argument every time!

In the situation described, you are a douche if you are hunter B and claim that deer. Period.

I have put down other's deer before that had been hit and have never once felt the need to "claim" it as my own. That, to me, is selfish.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]To me this whole issue is more about EGO than ethics. Because I put a slug in a deer, regardless of what order, doesn't mean it is mine. I can claim the privilege of being in the right place at the right time to shoot, but so what? If I can't have a civil conversation and agreement with others involved, then I have to assume my EGO needs to be examined.
If an animal is on my wall, it is there because I think it deserves being displayed, not because I happened to shoot it. If it happens to go on someone else's wall...well that saved me a taxi bill and I still have a great memory!

First of all......NO BUCK is worth a quality friendship. Period. The guys I hunt with now would NEVER even let this be an issue. If you cant say the same, then you are hunting with the wrong crowd.

Regardless of who has to tag the buck (depending on state law...I guess), hunter A should get the buck. If hunter B feels as though he would like to have the buck hanging in his home as well because he was invloved in the tracking and killing of the buck (which I think is reasonable in this case), have replicas made of the antlers and let him mount those. Easy fix and both guys get a wall-hanger.

Kip

Me (being hunter "A") I would take a picture of the buck I shot, then Keep hunting. Hunter "B" can have it.

My family's rule has been first blood gets to claim deer unless is a superficial wound (nicks the deer) that a deer would most likely fully recover from in a few days.

Gernerally, not many cases were a deer shot with an arrow or bullet runs off more than couple of hundred yards before piling up. I do cringe when hear of someone taking long shots since a slight tilt of the scope or a shifting crosswind could result in a marginal result that does require someone else to shoot the same deer later on that day or week.

This "law" you're talking about is in place to prevent party hunting. You can't kill a buck and place your wife's tag on it while your wife sits back at camp knitting a sweater. If you're my hunting partner and you try to claim that law with me, you'll be camping somewhere else. Without a deer, I might add.

I don't think there is a way to write a law to cover what we're discussing.

Why not discuss the situation like men, based on the unique circumstances of that situation, and both reach a conclusion like men?

I have enough immature people in my life. I don't need one as a hunting partner.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]>This "law" you're talking about is
>in place to prevent party
>hunting. You can't kill a
>buck and place your wife's
>tag on it while your
>wife sits back at camp
>knitting a sweater.

You certainly aren't talking about the law in Wyoming. It doesn't matter whether yer wife is knitting a sweater or sitting next to you in the truck. It's illegal to shoot someone elses game animal. Although the mentor program might be an exception, but certainly not with the scenario in question...

Ethically- It's Hunter A's buck. The only instance I take it as Hunter B is if Hunter A tells me it is mine...

Also, my guess is this doesn't happen with small bucks...

One extra thought- if Hunter B shoots it (whether he tags it or HUnter A does), isn't that party hunting..??

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Hunter A all the way. If you wound a buck so that it can be tracked and shot by someone in YOUR group that is all you should have to say. Someone outside your group may be more complicated though! I don't know if I would want to hunt with someone that wanted to claim that buck with the scenario you portrayed.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-12 AT 00:11AM (MST)[p]My old high School hunting Pard shot a 230" buck in Colo a few years ago right at last shooting light. Him and the guy he went with watched it go down in this real rugged canyon, into a small patch of stunted timber, and not come out.

Instead of trying to get down there, maybe have to finish the buck, and get him out of there, they came up from the bottom the next morning and split up right before going into that little timber patch. You guessed it, my partners buddy saw the buck stand up... The buck was originally hit bad and he was still in that little patch but once the friend put the monster down, he claimed the buck as his own and imeadieatly started talking about how he was going to get it mounted!

My friend had already killed lots of big bucks. He tried and tried to get his buddy to see it his way but in the end, the buck is not hanging in his house as my pard is just a great easy going guy.

Now that is between friends, or they were friends not sure, but i'm talking about when two guys or two groups of guys don't know each other, probably from different States, gather around a 230" class buck. It could really get hairy when one tries to enforce his beliefs or rights over the other hunter. I didn't count votes up here but clearly, a lot of guys see it their own way and will do so on the mountain.

Edit; there are guys in these pages that have risked going to jail by stealing a bleached out 3 point shed out of someones yard. What would you think they would do to try and claim a 230" buck?

Also, i didn't say; when my pard originally spotted this monster buck, the buck had a even bigger buck with him. My pard waited until his buddy got there, pointed out the bigger buck and told him to take his time and shoot the bigger buck. Easy within 100yards, ML hunt. The guy missed, my Pard didn't miss the one he shot at. The guy that missed his unbelievable opportunity, then goes and claims my pards buck in the morning. Unfreaking believable!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-12 AT 00:05AM (MST)[p]
Regardless of the interpretation of the law, in Sage's example, the other guy clearly knew it was the first guys buck.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-12 AT 03:00AM (MST)[p]You can get good blood from a non fatal leg or brisket wound....so the first blood rule don't really fly.

First fatal wound sounds better IMO.

We are not talking law here, but friendship and ethics: it was hunter A's buck.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'm always happy to hand off a dead animal to someone and keep hunting.

If it becomes a problem then I would shoot your friend in the back and leave his dead body in the woods. Simple.

>I'm always happy to hand off
>a dead animal to someone
>and keep hunting.
>
>If it becomes a problem then
>I would shoot your friend
>in the back and leave
>his dead body in the
>woods. Simple.

Just think Ziggy!

If you had Friends it might not take you 6 months to pack the Elk out!

One more thing!

I think ZIGGER wants to Kick Zigga's Ass!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

No question: Hunter A's buck if he hit him solidly. A grazing shot is not a solid hit. Why would you even want a deer someone els has already wounded anyway? Kinda like buying someone else's shoulder mount to hang on your wall.
Like politics these days, a little common sense inserted into the equation would make a huge difference.

T264

This happened to me several years ago while elk hunting. my brother in law and i were elk hunting when we spotted a good bull about 400 yards away in the open ,we both got good rests and I told him he could have first shot, he shot and hit the bull and I could tell he hit him. The bull did not go down and started moving down the hill I was on the bull so I shot and dropped him when we got to the bull it ended up being a 7x7 a great bull...no question asked it was his bull I had no problem with that . good part about this story is while we are gutting the bull a good 6x6 and 20 cows come out on the hill above us I used the downed bull as a rest to kill the 6x6 .

It's a deer. In the big scheme of things WGAF.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

My Brother had and a good friend were out hunting in Wyoming a few years back and jumped a good 5x5, 28in buck. My Bro shoots, the buck whips around heads the other way, his friend shoots, the buck whips around heads the other way, my brother shoots the buck goes down.

Neither really questioned who hit it. My bro tags it, they dress it out and take it back home. Hand it up skin it out and both realize it was his friends shot that hit and killed it.

He has his friend tag it and take it home.

Calls the Game Warden and tells him what happened and requested to have a new tag issued. The officer tells him to take a leap, they argue about it for a bit. The officer doesn't want to budge so my bro requested to discuss it with his supervisor.

He visits with the supervisor and explains that he had paid for a tag to be able to harvest a deer. The law required that the animal be tagged at the time of the kill and from what they had observed he was the one who needed to tag it. When they later were able to determine that his friend had actually killed it his friend tagged it and he should now be able to have a valid tag and continue his hunt.

The supervisor agreed and the officer brought over a new tag the next day.

Treat the way we treat sheds. If the only reason the 2nd hunter was looking was due to actions of the first, then it is the first guys deer (barring a grazing shot which would result in a long post shot stalk etc.). Simply put why would you claim an animal that was obviously hurt by another hunter? Which you are only after because of said wound. 3 years ago I had a wounded buck walk out in front of me. I heard the truck pull up below us and a shot. I stepped out to the edge of the ridge. And the guy was over his hood shooting. He took one more shot and then jumped in the truck and drove away. He never got out to look for blood.

A few seocnds later here comes 4 does and the buck. He was hit in hte right front foot. It crippled him up pretty good, but no blood and no one else on the mountain so, I shot it. It was a great buck and where it was I would have killed it anyways, but uit was the only time I have ever had another person mixed up in a kill. Off course they were a slob road hunter who never bothered to even look at his shot followup.

At any rate, hunters As buck...

I have had enough of these situations that I only hunt with Family and close friends. As of the last ten years it seems only one of us have a tag. But to answer the question, making a few assumptions that the first one to shoot had been decided before hand. It should be his buck. But I have tried to teach my kids to live by all of the laws. So in doing that the second guy should have not shot, and got his friend in on the buck to finish it off.

DZ

Felt like this thread was worth a second post...

Here's a hunt that I was a part of-

In 2004, I was hunting with family on a piece of private ground up Chalk Creek. In the dark, my cousin and I split up, each of us taking a ridge to sit on as the sun came up. As shooting light came, I heard shots from the far side of the ridge where my cousin was hunting. I waited a while to see if there was any other movement. When I felt like I had covered my vantage point pretty well, I decided to go see what he had shot, or shot at. When I found him, he was still sitting close to where he had shot from. I stayed there and guided him to where he had shot at one of two nice bucks. He searched for a long time and found no blood on the trail where the bucks had gone. We both figured they had run down the canyon and off onto other property. He came back to me on the opposite face of the canyon (about 375 yards). We talked about it and figured he had simply missed the buck clean with 3 shots.
I needed to "relieve myself" off in the oak brush, so I walked around a little nob and tok care of business. As I made my way back around the brushy nob, my cousin came and met me so that we had a better view. Sitting there talking, out of nowhere, I see a big bodied deer about 400 yards below us. I put my 7mm on him and I say "He's a big one!" My cousin (who was shotting a 30/30) simply says "Shoot him!" I settled in on the deer who was moving away from us, but then noticed he was not moving well, and his head was hanging low. I said "I think its the one you shot." As I watched through my scope, he moved behind some large sage brush, and I didn't see him come out. I told my cousin to go down closer and be ready. Once he was getting close to where I last saw the buck, I watched him through my binos.All I saw was my cousin walk around the big sage, and put his hand and gun up in the air. He had harvested his largest deer to date. And I was happy to have luckily needed to use nature's bathroom so we could see where he went down. He wasn't a monster, about 25" wide and about 22" tall 3x4 with a cheater. He had hit it with one of the shots, a little high, but in the lungs. There was barely any blood even leading up to where he fell over and died.

It might have been long, but this was an instance where I had averted an undesirable situation. I could have dropped it, and then it would have had two holes, and a decision. Even if I had shot and missed, we would have gone down there and found a dead buck, a buck that would have been mine probably. But instead, I chose to wait, and it paid off for my cousin, and myself.

Every situation is different. The one presented in this thread- goes to Hunter A :D

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

+1 need4x4....

If I was out hunting and a wounded animal came my way and was the caliber that I wanted and i had not heard a shot I would shoot it.

If I was out there and I hear a shot and 2 minutes later a wounded buck/bull comes over the hill and it's not what I want I'd still shoot it and hope to find the original shooter. If I can't find them then I'd tag it to keep it legal.

If I hear a shot and a wounded buck of my dreams comes over the hill..........man o man I hope that NEVER happens, because I'm not sure how it would/should go down............

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

>A Cordless Sawzall fixes any problem!
>
>
>Cut the animal exactly in half!
>
>
>Then cut each Antler off at
>the Base!
>
>Each Hunter gets 1/2 the Meat
>& one Antler!
>
>What's not to like?
>
>

Agreed:)
>
>Wisz was a Hell of a
>Sport this year even if
>He did tell the UDWR
>to F-Off during the Phone
>Call!:D
>15" Bases?
>30" 5ths?
>Missing 450" Bull!
>The next 4 years is Slicks
>Fault,again,GEEZUS!
>GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

"Relax and squeeze the trigger, They can't
get away;)", quoted from the best hunter I
know

I'd go with "B". The Utah law says it is illegal to "take" an animal for someone else. The definition of "take" is to "hunt, pursue, catch, capture, possess, angle, seine, trap or kill any protected wildlife". The moment they split up to pursue the deer,"A" gave up his right to the deer. The final shooter tags it.

Also, I much prefer to hunt with someone who obeys the law no matter what the circumstances.

And, as has been stated, there are provisions for donating wildlife to another entity (person) if you decide to mount it or share the meat. Good friends can work that out.

It doesnt matter what you were "raised" with....that doesnt make it right.

Just because your dad is Ted Bundy doesnt make rape and murder okay.

The law states B GETS THE BUCK. End of story.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

So.....a buddy and I ran into this on the Muzzle Loader elk hunt this year in Utah. We were sitting on a snowy hillside taking a mid-morning break and 3 bulls walked up the draw. We both scrambled for our smokers,(we both had our eye on the same bull) I took the first shot then my buddy. The animal was clearly hit from one of the two shots or both, we couldn't tell honestly who drew first blood. After that it was game on to make sure the animal was down. It took more bullets then I want to admit but finally the bull expired. It turned out to be a 345 bull and we both obviously wanted to claim the animal but we both decided that when we got back to town we would do a coin toss and call it even. I felt like that was the gentlemen thing to do. I lost the toss but I would have to say I would do it again, it was a neat experience!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

It's Hunter B's buck. He technically killed it. I have two important rules when hunting with friends.

1. Whomever spots it gets first right of refusal.
2. Only one shooter. This avoids problems like you describe.

If the deer was shot as good as you say they should have followed up the blood trail instead of splitting up. However, you also say they feared loosing it, so it doesn't sound very fatal to me. I have seen several 3 legged deer limping around winter grounds.

Law says B gets the buck.

Nuff said....if B wants to give it to A then so be it. But the law states B gets the buck.

Be a man and suck it up....and learn to shoot better.

I wouldn't take the buck from A. I'd follow the buck until it sat down and get my buddy on it. I usually hunt alone, but when hunting with my buddy we always have our radios. This would be a non-issue. However if the buck was truly getting away and I was forced to kill it or lose it, I would for sure shoot. But I'd still never take the buck from my friend. Putting my tag on it would fine too, because that's what friends do.

I would never hunt with a guy who would be so selfish as to fight over a deer.

First blood has been agreed upon on amongst my hunting group and it avoids all problems. Has worked great for us for the past 12 years. We believe that once somebody draws blood the rest of us are just trying to help him retrieve his deer, not take it from him.
Tony.

Not a BFD to me, he wants it, its all his, I will hold his gun while he punches his tag. Shootn' at em is part of the fun anyways. Luckily for me I take gobs of ammo. ;-)

Simple solution to this question...if you believe in first blood..hunt with others who agree with you...if you believe in fatal kill shot... hunt with others who believe that too..I was taught first blood and thats the way it has stood for 5 generations in my family..

A for sure. I put down a friends animal last year and I never argued I should get the meat. He shot first and I finished it. His animal for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom