Hunting Rifle

Rem 7mm Mag. BDL

But I killed my first big game animal with a Marlin 30-30, open sights. 28 years ago on that one. :D

Post '64 model 70 Winchester in 7mag. Bell and Carlson stock, Douglas barrel topped with Burris posilock 3x9. Shoots 115's up to 160's like a laser.

Browning A-bolt Stainless Steel Stalker in a .300WSM. I have been using this rifle for close to 20 years now. Occasionally, I may use my Winchester model 70 pre-64 classic in a .7mm

I have a 6.5 Creed built off a Weatherby action that I have been shooting for the last 10 or so years. For some reason idk why but when I pull the trigger on an animal with it the animal dies. I do have a Weatherby 300 win RMEF life member gun sitting in the closet that I may throw a scope on in the next couple months for fun just because it looks cool.

I started with a weatherby vanguard 270win. That gun killed quite a few ek and deer. I’ve had the gun cerakoted and put a new stock on it. It has a leupold 4.5-14x40 VXiii on it.
The last 5 years I’ve been shooting a christenen ridgeline 28nos. This gun has also been a killer. It has the leupold VX5. I tend to go to the 28nosler lately.

I have used a 270win my entire life. Started with a junk Savage, then a Rugger, and am now Shooting a Tikka T3. We also use a 243 in the family for the kids. I am however looking for a new bigger gun for larger game. I want a suppressor and heavier bullet that will take better care of elk and hopefully some day a bison, moose, etc.

I've killed elk with calibers ranging from 7-08 to 470NE but my current defaults are 280AI-300WM-338WM-375H&H.

all either rem 700 clones or ruger hawkeyes (the double rifle is a Heym 88B)

I bought a Rem 700 30-06 in 1987 and even to this day it shoots amazing groups. My go-to gun now is a custom built 280 ai. I hit the range this morning getting ready for my WY 128-1 hunt and it shot a couple 0.75-inch groups at 300 yards.
2021-07-02 19.08.45.jpg

I have multiple rifles for every possible hunting situation. but for the last 15 years my main one is a McMillan Dynasty 300 win mag with a 4.5x14 Leupold. if I could only have one this would be it.

Tikka 300wm for about 7 years. It is very accurate and I have killed quite a few critters with it.

Tikka 243 for whitetail and coyotes.

Tc compass 6.5 creed the kids practiced with and I shot a few antelope with it.

My new one is a Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC that shoots lights out and my boy killed his first deer with it last week. I will use it for deer and my kids for deer/ elk. My Tikka t3x stainless with added brake 300wm is still the king.

Old stuff mainly lol……old cartridges anyway ! Winchester classic sporter 264 win mag is my old “pet” And I’m starting to like my Winchester featherweight 25-06. Winchester Laredo 300 win mag……. another that’s been around many years, but I’m dang tired of carrying the heavy sob ! ?

I’ve got a few rifles with kills to them.

Browning X Bolt in 7mm for both deer and elk. It’s got a couple antelope to it’s name as well. It’s been my go to for a while. I’m a fan.

I’ve got a Model 70 in .338 win mag that has killed a few elk and now is sitting waiting for a bison tag. It’s a heavy bugger to carry around, but I really like shooting that gun.

I also have killed some deer with my first big game rifle, which is a pre-64 Model 70 in 30_06 that was a gift from my grandpa when I turned 14. I can’t shoot that gun very well anymore, though. I hate shooting it so it sits in the safe these days without seeing much action. Maybe I’ll bust it out again soon for some range time.

Most of my kills are with my .50 caliber muzzleloaders, a mix with a CVA Mountain rifle/Remington 700 muzzy, and then my TC Encore.
I no longer have the CVA, it is the one that blew up and took off my left hand.
Yesterday I just picked up a TC Hawkens in .50 cal.
REALLY excited to have that rifle as it appears there are some really exciting changes coming, if they are implemented in time…

Next load of kills come from a pre-64 Model 70 30.06 I bought from my grandpa for cheap when I was 16.
I could tell he wanted to give it to me but with one son in his family he had to make a legitimate ‘sale’ to me to keep things fair.
Killed Elk with it but not Deer.

Third rifle is a Tikka Superlight in 6.5CM.
Killed my Bear easily and my Antelope, my wife used it on her hunt and I also use it for my hunters in my little disabled hunter program my wife and I run.
Deadly on Deer and Antelope.
I lost a small bull with it so I will probably never use it on Elk again.

Killed a couple of Deer and five Elk with my old clunky crossbow, but sadly never a Bull.

My two go tos are my first rifle : Ruger M77 30-06 an old paddlestock and its big brother in .338 win
Probably need to upgrade the optics but I guess you don’t mess with what works.

Most of my kills are with my .50 caliber muzzleloaders, a mix with a CVA Mountain rifle/Remington 700 muzzy, and then my TC Encore.
I no longer have the CVA, it is the one that blew up and took off my left hand.
Yesterday I just picked up a TC Hawkens in .50 cal.
REALLY excited to have that rifle as it appears there are some really exciting changes coming, if they are implemented in time…

Next load of kills come from a pre-64 Model 70 30.06 I bought from my grandpa for cheap when I was 16.
I could tell he wanted to give it to me but with one son in his family he had to make a legitimate ‘sale’ to me to keep things fair.
Killed Elk with it but not Deer.

Third rifle is a Tikka Superlight in 6.5CM.
Killed my Bear easily and my Antelope, my wife used it on her hunt and I also use it for my hunters in my little disabled hunter program my wife and I run.
Deadly on Deer and Antelope.
I lost a small bull with it so I will probably never use it on Elk again.

Killed a couple of Deer and five Elk with my old clunky crossbow, but sadly never a Bull.
Shane, I'm with Elkass here wondering if you can give us a little more info on the CVA... You can also say it's none of our business...
Thanks

Newest hunting rifle is a Seekins PH2 in 7 Rem Mag and it’s a dream to shoot. I have bounced around over the years with a couple others and all have done great also. My kids have all grown up shooting a little savage 110 scoped combo that cost me about $450. That little rifle in 7-08 has killed about 18 mule deer and 8-10 elk.

MrShane?

If You Don't Mind Me Asking?

What Was The Issue With The CVA & Which Gun Was It?

Glad To Know You're Still Hunting & Best Of Luck!
Not at all, I spread the story as much as possible and also give spiels at Hunter Ed classes in hopes to keep others from making mistakes.
In ‘93 I was extra stupid and thought I knew more than the CVA engineers.
It was a .50 cal Mountain Rifle I was given on my 16th bday from my parents.
Well, on New Years Eve my Dad and I had a tradition of shooting our muzzies off at midnight with just a charge of BP and a few patches on top.
Didn’t hardly go boom but the shower of sparks and smoke was fun and not dangerous.
That Eve of ‘93 I could not find my BP.
I shoot a lot of trap so I poured some 700X shotshell powder down the tube of that CVA, with no bullet of course, just a little piece of tissue on top.
We always shot our muzzies at midnight surrounded by family and friends.
FORTUNATELY I decided to test mine in my backyard at 8:30 pm, a few hours before our family party started.
The blast opened up the top 6” of the barrel like a zipper, the next 6” of barrel right above where you hold a rifle with left hand became a pipe bomb of schrapnel shredding my hand in the process. I only had a single bone sticking out of my wrist like a white chicken bone.
I folded that bone back and wrapped my wrist with a towel to slow bleeding while waiting for ambulance.
Pieces of schrapnel tore up my gutter, soffit and facia, and a piece went through garage wall through garage and busted out sheetrock in front room.
My thumb was found next morning two doors down in neighbors front driveway.
Ring finger and ring was found in canal on ice in backyard about 80 yrds away.
I personally found my entire thumbnail in backyard flower bed while planting flowers following spring.
Pieces of barrel also tore through neighbors siding and I had to have that repaired.
Stock hit me in face so hard I thought cheek and ear were gone, knocked me in to a daze.
I should have died but here I am to shoot and hunt again.

Thank you EA, I am still tickin’!
I am trying to kill both sexes of Deer and Elk with each weapon type before I can’t hunt anymore.
I am missing:
1. Cow Elk with muzzy: Should complete this one next Mon or Tues next week on a late cow hunt I drew a tag for.
Unfortunately I am burying my Mom this Saturday but she was a Elk and Deer hunter and I pray she is helping guide me.
2. I have never shot at a buck with a high powered rifle: I have 21 points next draw and if lucky enough to pull a tag I should check off that one in next few years.
3. Bull with my bow: This one is getting tougher and tougher with age, not sure if I can complete.
No matter what I do I can’t get an arrow in to a Bull. A few years ago had a spike at 8 yrds and didn’t send one.
Big regret.

Dang, you are a tough old boy. More power to you Sir. I hope you’re successful in all your hunting aspirations. All the best MrShane.

Not at all, I spread the story as much as possible and also give spiels at Hunter Ed classes in hopes to keep others from making mistakes.
Well, on New Years Eve my Dad and I had a tradition of shooting our muzzies off at midnight with just a charge of BP and a few patches on top.
Didn’t hardly go boom but the shower of sparks and smoke was fun and not dangerous.
I shoot a lot of trap so I poured some 700X shotshell powder down the tube of that CVA, with no bullet of course, just a little piece of tissue on top.
FORTUNATELY I decided to test mine in my backyard at 8:30 pm, a few hours before our family party started.
The blast opened up the top 6” of the barrel like a zipper, the next 6” of barrel right above where you hold a rifle with left hand became a pipe bomb of schrapnel shredding my hand in the process. I only had a single bone sticking out of my wrist like a white chicken bone.
I folded that bone back and wrapped my wrist with a towel to slow bleeding while waiting for ambulance.
Pieces of schrapnel tore up my gutter, soffit and facia, and a piece went through garage wall through garage and busted out sheetrock in front room.
I personally found my entire thumbnail in backyard flower bed while planting flowers following spring.
Pieces of barrel also tore through neighbors siding and I had to have that repaired.
Stock hit me in face so hard I thought cheek and ear were gone, knocked me in to a daze.

I am trying to kill both sexes of Deer and Elk with each weapon type before I can’t hunt anymore.
I am missing:
1. Cow Elk with muzzy: Should complete this one next Mon or Tues next week on a late cow hunt I drew a tag for.
Unfortunately I am burying my Mom this Saturday but she was a Elk and Deer hunter and I pray she is helping guide me.
2. I have never shot at a buck with a high powered rifle: I have 21 points next draw and if lucky enough to pull a tag I should check off that one in next few years.
3. Bull with my bow: This one is getting tougher and tougher with age, not sure if I can complete.
No matter what I do I can’t get an arrow in to a Bull. A few years ago had a spike at 8 yrds and didn’t send one.
Big regret.
Well damn Shane I’m glad your still here!

Thanks MrShane!

I Get It That The 700X Powder Is Smokeless!

Just Trying To Figure Out How It Created That Kinda Pressure Without A Bullet/Blockage?

Just A Reminder For Everybody:

Me & My Son Run Some Extremely Rough Trails On Our Wheeler's!

On Rare Occasion We Have Had The Bullet Work It's Way Down The Barrel A Little away From The Powder On Our SmokePoles!

We Have Custom Built Gun Carriers With The Barrel Angled Down & Forward!

A Guy Should Always Re-Seat/Check The Load When You Take The Gun Off The Wheeler!

I'm Sure The BH209 With The Bullet Not Seated Properly Could Make A Perty Nice Bomb!

Thanks MrShane!

Just Trying To Figure Out How It Created That Kinda Pressure Without A Bullet/Blockage?

On Rare Occasion We Have Had The Bullet Work It's Way Down The Barrel A Little away From The Powder On Our SmokePoles!

A Guy Should Always Re-Seat/Check The Load When You Take The Gun Off The Wheeler!

I'm Sure The BH209 With The Bullet Not Seated Properly Could Make A Perty Nice Bomb!
I had a buddy hunting antelope on Parker Mtn. He had a paramount he was using… The barrel pointed down in his SXS riding around vibrated the bullet out the end of his barrel….

I had a buddy hunting antelope on Parker Mtn. He had a paramount he was using… The barrel pointed down in his SXS riding around vibrated the bullet out the end of his barrel….
When I’m packing a muzzy in a vehicle, any vehicle, I’m sorry, but…….. watch your head, cuz it’s always muzzy points up. I’m a believer in words of wisdom from those that have walk the trail ahead of me.

My go to rifle currently is a Christensen Arms Mesa in a .300 Win Mag. It's topped with a NightForce SHV 5-20X56. I shoot factory Barnes 180 gn TTSX's out of it and I can say that I am pleased with it's performance. After handing it to my teenage son to have him look at some elk @ 600 yards this past fall, he looked over at me and called it a "cheat code" compared to what he is used to hunting with. lol

Thanks MrShane!

700x is a very fast burning pistol/shotgun powder and having a bunch of it poured down a barrel it wouldn't need a bullet to create kaboom pressures, the confines of the barrel would be plenty.

700x is a very fast burning pistol/shotgun powder and having a bunch of it poured down a barrel it wouldn't need a bullet to create kaboom pressures, the confines of the barrel would be plenty.
This.
The 700X is a powder for light 1 1/8oz trap loads.
Barrel was clear, pressures built up so fast it could not get out of it’s own way and had to go somewhere.
I have pictures of gun and hand if wanted.
You better have a strong stomach if you want pics of hand.
Gun pics I will post on here.
Hand pics I won’t out of respect to those that don’t want to see human carnage.

Also a Remington ADL Mountain Rifle in 30-06. I love the Brown Precision kevlar stock, and it is the only rifle I have needed, from pronghorn to elk, for over thirty years. Giving it to my son and replacing it with a 6.5 built by Brown on an old Remington action.

My go to rifle was/is a Remington 710 in 30-06 I bought at 13. Notoriously terrible gun and I don’t give a damn about, it my bad weather gun.

Grandpa gave me his post model 70 in .270 with a fixed 4 scope with weaver fol aside rings. It’s my fair weather gun.

My uncle passed and his wife gave me his Remington 700 in .270 as-well that is set up the same way as my grandpas with the weaver ring and fixed 4. I got a new trigger for it so stoked on that.

Wish I had an excuse to get another rifle but I imagine it’s gonna be for the kids. Probably get a .223 for the family plinker and a .243 if the kids take to it

This.
Barrel was clear, pressures built up so fast it could not get out of it’s own way and had to go somewhere.
I will pass on the pics? What was your first reaction, pain, shock, disbelief?

Remind me to post the dumbest thing I ever did with a muzzleloader

I will pass on the pics? What was your first reaction, pain, shock, disbelief?

Remind me to post the dumbest thing I ever did with a muzzleloader
No pain for about 25 mins.
I sat in back yard waiting for ambulance, while waiting I was just disgusted and pizzed at myself for doing something so stupid.
I’m still mad at myself, life is MUCH easier with two hands.

What dumb thing did you do?

I am missing:
Big regret.
Got my cow at 50 yrds with muzzy last Tuesday!

Either Savage 110 in .308 shooting 168 gr TSX or a Savage 110 Precision in 338 Lapua shooting 210 gr Hammer Hunter. Both are killers.
Got my eye on a Savage Ultralite in .308.

This.
I have been really lucky that this hasn’t happened to me with my muzzleloader shooting. I know folks that have and the energy release is explosive.
Glad your back doing what you love.

I have several calibers - but 1 combo really shines. It’s a 260 Remington. Why does it shine ?
The cold bore hits within 1/4” of the next shots and the speeds are within 10 fps. It’s really hard to get any gun to do that and I’ve shot and owned a lot. Funny thing is it has a mid grade steel barrel on it. It’s not a Krieger or a Lilja. Doesn’t matter -it works.

The deer, elk and bison that hit the dirt didnt know it was a 6.5……

I started out with a Remington 700 chambered in .338 Ultra Mag. I had no idea why the guy behind the gun counter gave me that look when he handed it to me, I mean I was a mountain of a man (19) at 5' 8" and 180 pounds. I quickly found out after my first site-in session and thought for sure that every tooth in my head was loose! Needless to say, I had to work through a nasty flinch, put a muzzle break on and took a lot of game with that cannon over the years. I have since moved to a Browning HCLR chambered in 6.5 PRC and although I've only taken one buck with it, I am thoroughly enjoying this fine shooting and mild recoiling round/rifle!

Model 99 lever action .308 my Dads gun also have a brand new never been shot Model 99 my uncle left me,

That is a mule kicker.

That was my first rifle, and I loved the speed of the lever and the coolness of the gun, that thing kicked HARD.

I gladly traded it off, but really want it in the .243

I’ve got a friend who’s father owned a Savage 99, he inherited it when his father died when he was in his 50’s. He idolized his Dad and that rifle triggered an obsession to buy every Caliber Savage made in the 99. He has the entire collection and in as much as he is in his 80’s now, he is attempting to sell the entire collection to a single buyer. Every rifle is in fine condition.

Knowing of his love for the 99…….. my son had a room mate in college that ran short on money and had some guns he wanted to sell. I decided to help a little and bought a Savage 99E .300. It had been banged around a good deal but I figured I’d give it a make over and spruce it up a little. Excited to take it to a range, I purchase a box of bullets and off I went. Now, Im not exactly a light weigh body size, if you know what I mean. After 3 rounds down range I staggered to the truck, threw the damn thing in the back seat and immediately put it up for sale. Sold it for $90 including a box of 17 cartridges.

I’ve shot a bunch of typical hunting rifles over the years, never have I ever shot anything that smacked like that 99E. Lost total interest in it. But………. Lot of folks lov’em. More power to ya 53😁.

I think this is a 99E, not as beautiful as the original, IMO.
C2E38C80-2BAD-4800-A6B0-1D5042B26606.jpeg

I used a 270 & 7 Mag for several years but for the last 15 years I’ve used a Remington 700 CDL 280 REM with hand loaded 150 gr. partitions.

The list is long! I still own every weapon I’ve ever killed a big game animal with except for the .358 listed below. And, I didn’t keep all my compound bows.

There’s 20 and 12 gauges from here in Indiana when we couldn’t use rifles—1100s, 870s, and an HR ultimate slug 20 gauge.

.458 Socoms and .358 Hoosiers when we went to wildcat rifles in IN.

A few MLs including the TC Cherokee .45 I used as a youth.

There’s a few bows and a couple crossbows.

A Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag and a S&W chambered in the same.

My Remington .270 ti that was to become my mountain gun when I was late teens/early 20s.

A Model 7 243.

A couple Remington 7400s chambered in .30-06 and .270.

Remington 700 PSS in .308.

AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

Gunwerks .300 Rum for when I wanted to be prepared to kill it if I could see it.

Then, finally settled on my Gunwerks 7mmSAUM as my go-to kill everything rifle the last several years (pic below).

122A43E5-6666-4168-8D04-9AF6F9B36FF1.jpeg

Well!

I Don't Own Any Guns Because MM'ers Say I Don't Hunt!

But My Dad Had A Savage 99 Chambered in 30:30 He Made Us Hunt With On Our First PISSCUTTER Hunt!

The Following Christmas which Was Just A Couple Of Months Later He Took Turns At Buying Me & My Brothers A Better Rifle For Christmas As We Grew Up!

I Packed that Gun For 40 Years & Couldn't Put It Down!

I Destroyed It 3 years Ago!

Them Old Savage 99's Were HOT Items Back In The Day!

I’ve got a friend who’s father owned a Savage 99, he inherited it when his father died when he was in his 50’s. He idolized his Dad and that rifle triggered an obsession to buy every Caliber Savage made in the 99. He has the entire collection and in as much as he is in his 80’s now, he is attempting to sell the entire collection to a single buyer. Every rifle is in fine condition.

Knowing of his love for the 99…….. my son had a room mate in college that ran short on money and had some guns he wanted to sell. I decided to help a little and bought a Savage 99E .300. It had been banged around a good deal but I figured I’d give it a make over and spruce it up a little. Excited to take it to a range, I purchase a box of bullets and off I went. Now, Im not exactly a light weigh body size, if you know what I mean. After 3 rounds down range I staggered to the truck, threw the damn thing in the back seat and immediately put it up for sale. Sold it for $90 including a box of 17 cartridges.

I’ve shot a bunch of typical hunting rifles over the years, never have I ever shot anything that smacked like that 99E. Lost total interest in it. But………. Lot of folks lov’em. More power to ya 53😁.

I think this is a 99E, not as beautiful as the original, IMO.View attachment 127079

Tikka T3X superlite in 300win mag. It's an excellent gun but the recoil is kinda tough, at least while prone. I find that I have to shoot it very often to mentally overcome that flinching response. Just sucks how expensive the bullets are.

I also shot a javelina with a standard Anderson AR-15. I'll probably hunt them with the bow from now on though.

Last edited:
Tikka T3X superlite in 300win mag. It's an excellent gun but the recoil is kinda tough, at least while prone. I find that I have to shoot it very often to mentally overcome that flinching response. Just sucks how expensive the bullets are.

I also shot a javelina with a standard Anderson AR-15. I'll probably hunt them with the bow from now on though.
I added a brake to my tikka 300wm. Very comfortable to shoot now.

All my guns were tragically lost in a boating accident... ;)

Seriously, I've had too many to count and a few favorites through the years.

I'm currently in love with a custom short barreled 7 Saum slinging 180 hybrids.

I just sold a 30 Nosler that shot amazing (minor regrats) and I'm getting a 338 RUM. Hopefully the 30 Nos becomes a happy memory and not a full blown regrat... :)

Well!

But My Dad Had A Savage 99 Chambered in 30:30 He Made Us Hunt With On Our First PISSCUTTER Hunt!

The Following Christmas which Was Just A Couple Of Months Later He Took Turns At Buying Me & My Brothers A Better Rifle For Christmas As We Grew Up!

shut them guys up by posting a picture.

only hunting photo i have ever seen you in was some elk with a background of some major high fence operation

Mostly a pre '64 MDL 70, in 270, also have used a 7 mag, pre WWII Rem 30-06, last 2 years I won a couple of 243s at some banquets and used them to kill 3 antelope and a deer, I really like them, fun to shoot, killed everything quick, I wish I would have been using them long ago! that said I have taken as many critters with a bow as with rifles

I feel like that should be my next step as well. If I had thought ahead I would have bought one with the threads for that already but I'm sure I'll find a decent gunsmith around.

If you go that route, be sure to wear ear plugs and ear muffs. MB's direct the sound directly to your ears! I put a can on my 300 WM and it recoils and sounds less than a 22 WM. Then again, it'll cost you a grand+ and you'll have to wait a year.

300 RUM and 270 WSM are my favorites. I don’t see the need to chase the PRC craze. At the ranges I hunt at what I have will make the animals just as dead and saves me money. For the kids it is a 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Well!

still are are as I have said I have my Dads in .308

I love the 30/06 it’s an all around gun for as w
little as I know anyway
Mine is a HS Perscion
If it was good enough to kill the enemy in war and good enough to kill Bonnie and Clyde it’s good enough for me

Just wondering what rifle you are using to hunt big game. My rifle of choice for the past 40 years is a Remington 721 30-06. I have taken several elk and deer with this gun. It originally had a 3 power weaver scope, upgraded to a 4 power Weaver and now has Nikon 3 x 9.
Hunted with a Rem 721 30-06 for many years that my dad's father bought him new back in the early 50's and he eventually gave to me in '82 to shoot my first mule deer at age 12. Killed many deer and elk with that before getting seduced in my early 30's by a 300 win mag and now countless other custom rifles since then. Still sits in my safe just in case.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom