I completely forgot!!!! Could use help in 22

bticked

First, good luck to all you archery folks chasing elk!
Second, I completely forgot I have an archery deer tag for unit 22! I was thinking of just hunting in January and totally dismissed September and me and the family were just going to go camping up north for the holiday but Why not go HUNTING instead! I know 16b well but never traveled west to 22 so if anyone has any info for me on a place to start or somewhere to look for a deer I would appreciate it. Considering this a meat hunt more than anything but doesn't mean I wont give it hell! I'll use this as a good opportunity to learn more about this country if it comes down to January also. Always willing to trade or share info on other places as well. Units 52,53,10,16b,37,47,14,2a/b, ft bliss are the ones I consider to know well but can give starting places in a lot more areas just ask. Thank you all!

Ryan

I haven't been there in years but would run into bucks down in the thick stuff between Big and Little Dry Canyons,the area is SW of West Baldy and Sacaton Mountain...it's really thick in there but they were there...again, this was many moons ago and not sure what it is like now...good luck.

Hey I'll check it out! Just gonna be and the wife so we'll get in glass and stay mobile, cover some ground and see what we turn up! Spent like 6 hours yesterday with maps and google earth so any starting point helps a lot!

Ryan

One thing to keep in mind is that the area holds quite a few Coues deer. I would venture to say even more than Muley's from what I've seen. In January the muley's should be in the flats more with the Does while the Coues will be in the brushy foothills and canyons.

Travis

Go on....Just looked and bag limit is any FAD. Doesn't really matter to me, didn't draw my good areas so just looking for deer and some meat really. Should I be focusing more on Coues if theres more down there? Seems like that would be a lofty goal with a bow.

Ryan

>Go on....Just looked and bag limit
>is any FAD. Doesn't really
>matter to me, didn't draw
>my good areas so just
>looking for deer and some
>meat really. Should I be
>focusing more on Coues if
>theres more down there? Seems
>like that would be a
>lofty goal with a bow.
>
>
>Ryan

I actually think the Coues would be easier with a bow than muley that time of year and in this particular unit. Mulies are harder to get in range in those flats and they are more nomadic. The Coues you can hunt kind of like an eastern whitetail in that country. Tree stands, ground blinds, scraps, grunts etc...

What about right now? I don't have high expectations for this weekend but I'll sure try! I was thinking of getting up on some ridges more on the west side, glassing down and just keep it moving and cover country.

Ryan

>What about right now? I don't
>have high expectations for this
>weekend but I'll sure try!
>I was thinking of getting
>up on some ridges more
>on the west side, glassing
>down and just keep it
>moving and cover country.
>
>Ryan

It's tough country for glassing/stalking but that might reveal where some deer are. Depending on how much time you have, sitting secluded water sources or highly used ridge/trails might be the best bet for September season.

Thank you for the help! We'll see what happens. Never know what you might find when you get out there!

Ryan

I was down there last week. Tons of water. Creeks were flowing pretty good too. Pretty much been raining everyday for the last month. Seen more bears than deer in the wilderness. The deer I seen were off the mountain

Thanks for all the help guys! Just got back, saw deer just couldn't close the distance. Could have punched a spike in the face but the bigger ones stayed bout 20 yards out of range and it is hard to stalk deer in that country! Didn't see not one whitetail which I guess was odd. Game warden even said all he sees is whitetail where I was at but all I saw was mulies. Acorns everywhere! Saw some old bear sign but no bears. If anyone wants to let me know where the bears are hiding down there I'll take my dogs back that way in a couple weeks. Guess I'll wait till January and try again! Thanks again to everyone who helped me out! Oh, and theres some wolves that were hanging around that area and the whole place was in was devoid of elk sign...

Ryan

Were you south of glenwood. I'm headed down the last weekend. There I seen that bear. No trees around to tree him.

I was south of Glenwood. Couple folks out there were mentioning seeing bears but I saw nothing fresh sign wise. You're right about trees, I figure they would head to the wilderness or get down in them draws where there are some larger trees. They have some huge weird looking trees down there, look like eucalyptus or something like that, not sure what they are but there were a lot in the draws.

Ryan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom