I think I screwed up???

tsbret

Looked at the draw results and it looks like I drew a 161-164 Early Deer hunt, any legal weapon, with 7 points...I can't find my research notes but I know I picked that unit for early Archery Elk but not Deer. Heading to the office now to see if my notes are there. I looked at some data on NDOW it looks like the hunt had about 350 tags total for this early hunt last year. I also looked my e-mail confirmation from NDOW and it was my first choice, either I clicked on the wrong button on the application or I had a dream about picking this unit, that I don't recall this morning. But I'm wondering if it is worth 7 points

Anybody have any input about this early deer hunt? Is it worth burning 7 points on this particular hunt? Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

I'm assuming you drew as a non-resident. I have been up to the 161/162 area a couple times but never during the rifle hunt with 350 tags. Neat country that does occasionally produce bigger deer. Will you have much time to scout prior to the season starting? If so, i would suggest doing so and then turning in the tag to replace your bonus points if you aren't impressed.
If you have the cash, you could also talk to a guide if scouting the area is not an option.
Tough call in turning in the tag. I guess it all depends on what hunt you were hoping for and how much longer you would be willing to wait.

My friend scouted it a few times last year then turned the tag back in, he drew a December hunt this year with all the points he had so in his case it was a good call to lose the tag fee and get his points back.

Thanks for the coaching guy's...I figured out what I did...in my notes I apparently wrote the hunt choice number from last year, "757" which last year was units 241-245,and the unit of my first choice. They change hunt choices and I must have been in a hurry and selected the wrong hunt choice for this season. "757" hunt choice this year is early 161 -164 (which last year 161-164 choice was "742"). So it pays off to be careful and take your time on the application.

As a NR, I live too far away to make any significant scouting trips, and since I drew a NM archery rut hunt in Unit 13, it makes more sense to spend time and energy there as it is a higher quality opportunity.

Do you know how the tag return policy works? I'll get on the web site and look it up and give them a call Tuesday since Monday is a holiday.

Thanks again for the input...and have a great year in the brush!

Bret

I had an archery tag last year in August, and I did see a lot of deer but they were in the small range, nothing to justify burning seven bonus points for. I will be going back up in 3 weeks to scout the area as I drew another archery mule deer plus archery elk cow tag.

Good luck on your scouting and hunts...It's just too far for a smaller buck, which I would pass on, or a meat hunt, we have plenty of deer here at home for that. I'll check into the refund process and try again next year...looks like a great unit though with plenty of country to knock around in. Thanks again!
Bret

LAST EDITED ON May-26-13 AT 07:29AM (MST)[p]I'm pretty sure they are keeping your deer tag fee no matter what. I'm not sure if you get your points going in or your points going in plus one in return.

You might consider calling in your card lost and freeze it before they charge you. It would be a reject and you wouldn't gain a point... I dont't think it would affect points on other species. They would be able to issue the tag to next in line that way.

Thanks E Fudd, I would hate to lose a point but I would hate to not see it go to the next in line even more. Thanks for the input I'll check that route out!
Bret

It might be too late for cancelling your card. I have pending charges on mine from my tag and PIW now. I know you wouldn't have gained a point, but a NR tag fee is a pretty expensive point. I think this year they changed policy to reissue deer tags, but are still giving no refund. You do get your points plus one. Still easier on the next guy to turn in ASAP so he/she has more time to plan.

It only takes one good one if you can find him. There's not a unit in Nevada in which you don't have that chance of finding your best buck ever. Good luck, and enjoy the hunt.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom