IBEX Hammertime cont.

TRC

Does anyone know what the current sold tag numbers are up to now?? 750?? 1250?? or still hanging around the 650 mark that I heard last?? Just curious!!

Thanks,
TRC

Have not heard. You guys will have to let us know what the pressure is like. I expect there will be people everywhere, especially in the more easily accessed areas.

Might just be the rumor mill, but I hear a week ago it was around 800, and that it may be pushing 1000 right now. Again, that was from someone who talked to someone, etc.
jeff

I called.. it is around 1000 licenses or 2000 tags... I think I am going to go just to setup a mobile Taco stand and make some money... TACOS, BURROS, CHIMI's...

J

>I called.. it is around 1000
>licenses or 2000 tags... I
>think I am going to
>go just to setup a
>mobile Taco stand and make
>some money... TACOS, BURROS,
>CHIMI's...
>
>J

Ibuprofen, cold compresses, gatorade, mule rides to the top......

Ha Ha! You guys have some great ideas. How about a rope rescue team to rapell down and get em, or a helicopter like they use in New Zealand to bring out the Tahr and Stag. I wonder how many are going to get shot and not even attempt to get recovered because of where they fall. Too easy to just find another one in an easier place.
jeff

I may go down just to watch guys knife fight each other over dead nannies, should be quite a spectacle, not too often that the state sponsors a live fire reenactment of hamburger hill, hope the good people of Deming have current homeowners insurance. Any of you boys knock one down you probably better get there quick and throw a chain on it, this kind of "hunt" tends to promote jackasstic behaviour among the less capable participants.

>I called.. it is around 1000
>licenses or 2000 tags...

There is no way they will be able to limit the harvest to 125? There simply are not enough wardens in the state to stop the hunt in time. I wonder what the game and fish will do about the 2014 hunt in the RIB if they harvest 250 or more this year?

If you do go on this hunt, be sure to wear plenty of blaze orange, blinking lights, etc.

Yup good advice! And maybe a flack jacket! Apparantly the G&F is going to have check points right there close to the mountain. Maybe they should be counting gun shots as they ring out.
jeff

^^^^^This.

My plan is to sit in my truck, drink coffee and wait for the nannies to come to ME!!!:D

This plan works 2% of the time!

Does anyone know if this hunt would make you in ineligible for the october archery hunt

No. If you draw the october archery hunt you would be ineligible for the expected OTC nanny hunt in 2014.

I am ineligible for this years OTC hunt since I drew a Jan archery hunt for the 2012-2013 year.

thats backwards. If you kill a nanny or 2 on this hunt can you still apply for the archery hunt in october. And i would be very suprised if there is another hunt next year. With 1000 people out there its gonna be bad

The Feb-March 2013 OTC hunt falls in the 2012-2013 draw year, so it does not effect the Oct 2013 hunt since that fall under the 2013-2014 draw year. If you do get drawn for Oct 2013 you will not be able participate in the Feb-march 2014 OTC hunt which is listed in the proclamation (if it occurs).

All it takes is about 5% of these hunters willing to get up high and start to shoot, to move the nannies around. That will certainly help those hunter which can only get up half way up the mountain. There are a few roads where an ATV can get within rifle range of some of the big rocks. From there it doesn't take a lot of walking.

A few days before I got to my January hunt there was a 13 year who fell and had a helicopter rescue team lift him out. I wonder what's going to happen with a 1000 hunters up there.

Thanks for the info. Yes it will be interesting to see how the hunt goes with all those people.

I am not going to lie I thought about this hunt but to be honest I have backed out as I do not want to be a part of the slaughter! That and I have had a muzzy hunt on this rock pile and it was good but it sucked at the same time! This mountain is one hell of a way to kill yourself! I would rather have a balanced approach instead of a knee jerk reaction by G&F!!!
This is what I would want...
Have a nannie/IM hunt say 400 tags over the next two years as the herd is over a 1,000 with a lower cost say 50 bones then do a survey!!!I just think G&F is having a knee jerk reaction kinda like the whole unit 9 cow rifle hunts!!

Does anybody know what reporting requirement is? 12/24/48 hrs? If the requirement to report is really 5 days (which I don't believe to be the case) the game commission definitely messed this one up. I agree with those that have stated that I don't think there will be the 2014 version of this hunt unless the reporting requirement is fairly often. I believe G&F will survey and realize more animals were taken then expected/reported.

I really think there will be GnF officers all around the mnt and they will be checking everyone. It's not that big of a place and 5-6 guys could check most everyone as there are only a few roads in and out. I would be very surprised if the hunt lasts more than 2 days and I expect them to drive around and or set up stations at each entry point to the mnt and inform people the hunt is closed. With 1000+ people with tags I bet the quota is met on day 1.

I know for sure G&F will be there to check things out!!! But what about the guys that leave way past dark? This is a slaughter and is so wrong!!! guys all I can say is if and when you do pop two wait until you past the check point until you start drinking as they will hammer you all!!!!

From the G&F website

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
Media contact: Richard McDonald, (575) 532-2100
Public contact: (505) 476-8000
[email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, JAN. 7, 2013:

IBEX HUNTING LICENSES OFFERED FOR FLORIDA MOUNTAINS

LAS CRUCES ? The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish will offer hunting licenses for female or immature male ibex beginning Jan. 9, 2013. The hunt dates will be Feb. 21 through March 31. All hunting will end when the harvest limit of 125 is reached.

Licenses will be available through the department online system and over the counter at department offices beginning Jan. 9. Any person who did not hold an ibex hunting license for the 2012-13 season is eligible to purchase one of these licenses. The cost of the license is $111 for residents and $1,630 for nonresidents.

This hunt is necessary because the ibex population is beyond the carrying capacity of the habitat. The bag limit will be two female or immature male ibex. Any hunter who harvests two ibex and has them verified by a conservation officer or at a Game and Fish Office, will be entered into a drawing for an either-sex ibex rifle hunt during the spring of 2014. All hunters must verify their harvests within five days.

All hunters must have a customer identification number to purchase these licenses. For information, please visit the department website at www.wildlife.state.nm.us or contact Kevin Rodden at the department's Las Cruces office at (575) 532-2100.

The problems is the two tags per license limit. Once one nanny is killed people will stay in camp until the 2nd one is killed. If the wardens wait to count 125 goats at check points, they will not be able to notify the hunters on the mountain until they have killed quite a bit more nannies.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom