I'd like to say goodbye...

kicker

To the thousands of forked horns that are about to take a dirt nap tomorrow! Enjoy your last night of browsing.

Sincerely,

Kicker

No Joke. Glad I'm not hunting that Rifle General Hunt anymore. Aint nothing like being in someones crosshairs..

RIP Forkies..

It'll be my first real elk hunt tomorrow (last year I just tagged along). And to be honest, I'd probably shoot a forked horned on opening day, just simply because it'd be my first elk.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-13 AT 06:25PM (MST)[p]IdahoWoodsman
Good luck man! They should be doing a lot of bugling. Don't forget your cow call. Keep us updated...nothing like knocking down your first bull!!!!!

Kicker

The bulls are like land sharks right now. They are pimpin hard to find that last cow in heat. It seems like the bulls are everywhere. Ron

>Elk are different, harder to find
>and kill, IMO. Any bull
>OTC is a good bull.
>

Well than you should come hunting with me. See bulls all the time but 190" muleys very rarely. B&C considers the mule deer to be one of the hardest species to make the book right now. Especially otc.

Same here is Washington, but we have a 3 point minimum in most muley units. Lets punish the 2 points with an eye guard. In my area, the hillsides are treeless with grass. A 2 year old buck doesn't stand a chance against scoped rifles and the masses that come over from the west side of the state where a 2x2 blacktail is considered huge.

Don't mean to come off all high and mighty like I never put a tag on a forked horn...because I have and I don't shoot a monster bucks every year for sure. Just wonder what would happen if the F & G would limit the forkies to 12 year olds for 3 years. I wonder if we would see an increase in overall deer #'s. Not pretending to know how to manage Idaho just curious.

Kicker

I hunt in both Washington and Idaho. I myself like a 3 point minimum. It is better for the deer herds. Let the little 2 point live one more year.

I dont know either on managing and if a forky makes you happy great. I would like any buck for youth 18 and under, 4pt plus 19yrs and up, and then again any buck after 65.
I know in malad it was 4pt plus forever and I heard that you were seeing some mature 3pts with bad genetics is why they changed it? let the youth kill those mature deer with 3 pts and its solved.

good luck too all. im for leaving regs the way they are. not everyone can pick and choose bucks all fall. some have work and family issues that leave little time resources. i am a meat hunter these days and want all options open. just my 2 pennies.

I'm with you. I get little to no time off during the hunting season. If I get a weekend to hunt elk and one for deer I'm lucky. Those of you lucky enough to get a few weeks or more off I hope you know how lucky you are. Not jealous just.....ok I'm jealous! I'm not judging. If your on limited time or are limited by age have at the forkies. They are completely legal. I was just curious if it would boost the herd numbers at all if they were limited to youth or senior hunts. Who knows maybe it wouldn't make a dent at all.

Kicker

I like the two point only rule. There are no shortage of forkies in the Owyhees, and no shortage of big deer as well.

Yeah I agree especially unit 40. Lot's of forkies and some great bucks as well. IMO unit 45 is dealing with a prominent 3X3 gene. I believe that over the years the tag holders held out for four point(as they should)and now there are some huge 3x3's running around doing the breeding. Someone else mentioned it on this thread and I agree...I would like to see a youth 3 point only season in 45. The f&g feel like people wouldn't be able to control themselves and too many big 4x4's or bigger bucks would be poached. Could be true but I believe for the most part people abide to the 2 point rules in the Owyhees. If they made the youth 3 point hunt in 45 like a 5 day hunt they could have officers present to deter most poaching for that short season.

Kicker

As I have learned from Unit 73, any antler rule is NOT the way to go. For some reason there are people that will shoot and ask questions later. Many three points died and were left on the hill during the four point only restriction. The only way to have a good deer herd is to restrict how many people can hunt that unit or area. Which I am infavor of any means possible. After what they have done to unit 73, I would side with the anti-hunters. I don't know about you, but I like to see some bucks. And if that ment giving up my right to hunt, than so be it.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

would agree with micky. wonder how many bucks are rotting on the ground in the owyhees right now.lots of guys shoot first.......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom