Idaho Bear hunt

UGAhunter

Oh what a year! I took two weeks to hunt bears this spring.

My goals were to:
1) Have a good time with family and friends
2) Feed some bears and get trail camera pictures
3) Help my wife, 12 year old daughter, and my father-in-law see/harvest their first bears

It was a great success! By the time I came home, we had 18 bears on 8 baits, thousands of pictures, and some happy hunters.

Here is the first bear to hit one of my baits...it took 7-8 hours for it to find it. Boar or sow?

9561b2.jpg

5169b5.jpg

Well, I too thought this was just an average bear...until I found tracks and had other bears to compare it too. Although a closer look on my computer screen definitely revealed this big boar as ... well a boar!

1782po1.3.jpg

This color bear showed up the next night. It is a 3+ year old bear with a 4-inch pad. After comparing it with the blackie that showed up the first night, I got excited!

7586po2.1.jpg

More bears on bait one, and four more getting hit now. Things are really getting hot now! How about the big brown bear? I want to hunt him.

4372po3.2.jpg

9297po6.1.jpg

1968eagle_1.jpg

3054saddle_2.2.jpg

701saddle_2.3.jpg

7298pon1.1.jpg

6327emily_1.2.jpg

I took my 12 year old daughter up to hunt this small blackie for her first hunting day. He had been coming in pretty regularly for 4 days. We sat in a small ground blind.

1968eagle_1.jpg

After 3-4- hours, this is what we see:

7750emily_2.jpg

He dove into the bait, facing us head on. She got the riffle up bracing for a 15 yard shot. I whispered in her ear "wait for him to turn broadside." After a few minutes, he stepped over the log and turned for a perfect shot.

818emily_3.jpg

"Where's your crosshairs?", I asked. "Right behind the shoulder" she responded. "Take him", I pleaded, all the while shaking profusely! "Calm down, and quit shaking, Dad", she responded. Then, "Boom!" The big fellow ran 72 feet before piling up.

Words can't describe how happy I was to be part of her first hunting success, and she bagged a great bear.

356emily_4.jpg

3360emily_5.jpg

2031emily_6.jpg

We came out just before dark and returned the next morning to take some more pics and retrieve the trophy bruin.

2706emily_7.jpg

I believe...a family that hunts together stays together!

2097emily_8.jpg

Congrats on all the bears, photos and most of the memories with freinds and family!!! Thanks for sharing.

My wife Jenn is no novice when it comes to hunting; she has killed deer, elk, moose and antelope. However, she has never seen or killed a bear before. She decided she would only hunt with her bow, which she has never done before. She spent several weeks practicing and was quite confident she could make the shot.

We had this pretty bear hitting the bait in the evenings quite regular for 4 days, and she decided to hunt him.

3149jenn_2.jpg

4931jenn_4.jpg

Three days in a row she sat this site in a ground blind without seeing the bear. Our daughter sat with her since she already bagged the big brown bear. The first two nights he came after dark. The third night the bear did not hit the bait at all! She was getting a bit discouraged and was reluctant to sit another night at that site, but I was confident the bear would be back. She insisted this would be her last night sitting in the blind, but refused to take a rifle. The bear showed up around 8 PM, and she drilled him with a 125g Muzzy 3-blade. He went about 40 yards. We recovered him the next morning.

Nice job, Jenn!

5600jenn_8.jpg

The same evening that Jenn got her bear, My father-in-law harvsted his. He was sitting on a quite active bait. These bears were coming at all times of the day and night, but were absolutely NOT nocturnal! He was hunting with his 44 magnum handgun. Here are a few pictures of the bears he was hunting.

2956terry_1.jpg

2585terry_2.jpg

3782terry_4.jpg

8082terry_5.jpg

5393terry_6.jpg

On his 4th night of hunting he bagged this fine bear. It ran 12 yards and piled up. Congratulations to him on his first bear, and with a handgun!

8610terry_8.jpg

2845terry_10.jpg

Nothing better than seeing some great hunting photo's where the whole family is involved....Congrats.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom