Idaho Bull 19 yr wait

Zelda18

2019 saw some major changes to my family, moving, new job and the biggest one including drawing an Idaho bull elk tag I've waited 19 years to draw.

I will admit, I dang near had a heart attack when I got the news I had finally drawn an Idaho bull elk tag. 19 years.. finally.
I scouted all summer looking for that special bull I had waited so long for. Countless hours of glassing, hiking, mosquito infested bogs, just hoping to find the once in a lifetime bull I'd dreamed of for so long.
Around July I found a bull I dubbed Brutus. Only a small glimpse of this magnificent elk and I was hooked. He presented only a small window into his kingdom, but what he showed was a heavy, massive 8x6 rack that would be the envy of any elk. His body structure resembled one of god like proportions. This was it, Brutus, the bull I've only until that day, dreamed of.
More ventures into Brutus? kingdom left my empty handed. No hide nor hair of the king. For two months Brutus kept deep into the trees,
never revealing himself until a small sighting 1 week before the season opener.
Brutus gave me one small photo op, not a very good one at that, then again disappeared into the trees.
On one had I was elated I had seen him again, on the other I was concerned he would disappear from my world never to be seen again.
Opening day brought hope, I passed on several good solid 6x6 300? bulls with the knowledge Brutus had been around just a week before. As the sun set on the first day, no Brutus.
Morning of then second day, I changed my plan. I decided to stay more mobile and glass all day. Still no sign of him.
Around 5:30pm, I decided to walk to an area I couldn't cover with my binos but could hear some cow elk calling. As I approached the clearing, it became apparent in order to close the distance, belly crawling and a knee deep creek crossing were in order.
After 2 hours on crawling and getting soaked to the bone, I had a decent view of the meadow. A few rag horn bulls were giving their all, bugling non stop. As I began to give up hope and the light began to fade, a familiar deep growl came from the tree line, as I raised my head, I could see the tops of a massive set of antlers.. it was BRUTUS!! He was still too far away for a good shot and many cow elk were standing between me and my dream bull.
I held tight to the waters edge, forgetting I was laying wet, in snow with temps slipping well below freezing. I had to stay low as not to alert the cow elk.
After 10 minutes I see once again the massive antlers coming closer. I hear the deep rumble of Brutus? bugle as he turned to the right. He was presenting all his mighty glory, finally giving me a shot.
I quickly stood up with my trusty .300 win mag, found Brutus and made a clean one round off hand shot that dropped him in his tracks.
I started shaking as I ran to my bull. I said a prayer thanking Brutus for the bounty he will provide my family and journey of a 19 year wait.
It took me 8 hours to haul Brutus to the truck. Only the next morning did I realize what a monster Brutus was. I'm not sure what he gross scores, but he's a trophy regardless
I had never harvested a bull before and to get one like Brutus is truly a once in a lifetime.
664832ef40c52036a43dca9777467c5080ebb.jpeg

3922212155fb2226e41df9bb3dcb11456c119.jpeg

1310946350fc4e22b47bbbe48a948876d2e56.jpeg

401712de74cd923c404e8a27f5382b5aa021.jpeg

Sounds like a great hunting adventure you had. That's what it's all about. Big bull you got there. Heavy dude too.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

A tape measure will never do that bull justice because he's not overly long anywhere but that is a true beast. Best bull I've seen all year. Congrats on that bruiser!

That's a great bull nothing bears the feeling that you described in your srory..thanks for sharing and congrats

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom