Idaho falls

jbloom17

So I just got a job offer for Idaho falls and I'm curious if anyone on here lives there and your thoughts? I havent been there in like 20 years when I was 10 and dont remember anything about the city but I see it is on the top 100 list of places to live! I would love to move there just for the hunting opporunities in a closer proximity but convincing my wife might be another story. Thanks in advance

There are better places in Idaho to live imo, but Idaho Falls isn't too shabby. I was born in IF and lived there until 18, lots of family there so visit yearly. Proximity to great hunting, fishing, & outdoor recreation opportunities is great. If I ever moved to Idaho Falls my first purchase would be a drift boat, excellent fishing with several quality rivers near by (I make at least two trips a summer just to fish). I enjoy the summer weather there. Biggest complaint is the wind, hate the wind, I don't miss that at all. Cold windy winters. If you are a family man seems great place to raise kids. If you and the wife like to seek more city life entertainment/activities, might be disappointed. Just my opinion, hope it works out for ya!

I live in Idaho Falls. Plenty of awesome areas around for hunting and fishing. Great place to raise a family. Most people are genuinely nice. Yes, it can be windy, but I like to think the weather keeps the place from growing too much. Who is your potential employer? Let me know if you have any specific questions.

We live here and love it; ask any specifics in a PM. Red state, crazy liberals in the minority, still pretty logical and conservative values. Decent pay scales and prices. No hurricanes, tornados, floods, humidity, fire ants, maybe 3 weeks of 100 degree weather. 600 miles to Denver, Calgary, Reno, and Las Vegas. 200 miles gets you to Heaven (Montana), Hell (Salt Lake), or Confused (Boise)!

Thanks guys for the insight. Sounds like a great place to live. I currently live on the west side of Washington and its not what I would call a Red state... lol I cant disclose the employer but it would be a potentially substantial pay raise. The problem is we just bought a new place and all of our family is over here so convincing my wife its a good idea is going to be difficult. Appreciate all the feedback.

Femoral I wont be moving anywhere close to you... trust me.

>Femoral I wont be moving anywhere
>close to you... trust me.
>

Ya, but you have to drive by to get there.

Be sure to stop, I have a "Blue Girl, Red State" sticker for your Prius.

I bought a small business in IF in 2006, but I live about 45 minutes to the east in Swan Valley. Just to couch my perspective, I'm from the east coast but lived in northeast UT for several years in the 80s and have hunted and fished out here off and on since then, and finally moved back in 2004 to Teton Valley, and then to Swan Valley. Honestly, I think many women who didn't grow up here, or who grew up in warmer places, won't like it. Winters are long, but if your wife likes winter sports then that is a positive. Also, I don't know if you are LDS or not, but I'm sure you know that that culture is the majority here. I'm not LDS but I certainly get along well with them and most of my co-workers are, but people from different cultures often are bothered by it, more so with women. Don't jump on me folks, that's just one outsider's experience and observations.

As far as the hunting goes, if you are a trophy hunter, in my opinion one would be better off for deer being a resident in WY or CO, or for elk being a resident in WY or MT or one of the southwest states, but Idaho is a great opportunity state and seasons are long and there is great diversity, which is nice. If you hunt hard you should have a full freezer every year. Genetically ID has tremendous mule deer potential but the state isn't managed for trophy deer, and there are simply too many of us now, with all our high tech equipment, on top of the other challenges facing mule deer these days which are many. As a resident it isn't too hard to draw a moose tag, and within a few years of becoming a resident I had my moose and a bighorn ram, however, draw odds on the quality hunts for all species are trending downward each year, though that's true west wide, supply and demand.

Trout fishing wise this is a excellent place to be, as has been noted, with lots of good water nearby. You are also within a few hours of steelhead fishing on the Salmon.

Lastly, the economy in the IF area is taking some blows from the waves of layoffs happening at the INL. If the INL can morph into an entity that is again capable of sucking huge quantities of federal dollars, then IF will continue to grow, but if it languishes IF's economy will too. If the INL were to die completely (not likely), all the area would have as an economic driver is Ag. In general Idaho is a poor state and we are last or near last in a lot of categories when compared nationally. I know of a number of instances where outsiders who had school aged kids were offered good jobs here, but turned them down after they evaluated the school situation. Just the facts as I see them; I hope I'm not offending natives. I really like being here, and not sure I could be happy anywhere else but the northern rocky mountain region. If you can afford non-res licenses you are close to WY and MT and can hunt 3 states every year.

IDAHO FALLS IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE AND RAISE A FAMILY , WORLD CLASS RECREATION AREAS, ONE OF THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK ON REAL ESTATE IN THE REGION, GOOD JOB OPPURTUNITY, PEOPLE ARE AWESOME, LOW CRIME ....IN THE TOWN OF IDAHO FALLS THE WINTER IS 90 DAYS AND IT'S A JOKE

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]I don't think we have 3 weeks in the 100's more like a few days per year, lots of wind, lots of crazy conservatives in fact more than any other state. I am a salesman and am able to talk to quite a few professionals that relocate here. I have learned through the years that the individuals that move here for employment do well but if their spouses are not compatible they do not last long. Now when I encounter a new customer a few questions I ask are: where are they from originally and what are their interests. Typically with 90% accuracy I can determine whether they stay more than two years. Previous respondants are real accuarate and honest asessments.

During the past 10 years I have lived in Rexburg, Salt Lake City, the Tri-Cities (Kennewick), Portland and Phoenix. There wasn't any of them I hated living in, but the rain in Portland got old. Phoenix is my home and that is ultimately where I returned to, but I loved living in ID. No, the bulls aren't as big as AZ and the rut is nothing compared to AZ, but all the other opportunities make up for it. Living in IF the Tex Creek zone is right out your back door and Island Park is just up the road. You can hunt bears and turkeys in the spring, fish all summer, then hunt deer, elk and antelope from Aug 15 to Nov. 30. Ice fish till Feb and then its just a matter of time until you can start shed hunting. I miss that place. People are great, its clean, safe and big enough to have a Buffalo Wild Wings. Unless your allergic to sub zero temps I can't think of a reason not to live there. Shoot I might have to go look for jobs back there now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom