Idaho late season 36A?

D

dtp1077

I will be hunting Idaho for the first time this year and am looking for any advice on the unit. Will be packing in to 8-10,000' depending on weather. How close to the rut is this? I have a call into the Biologist already but am waiting for a call back. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance Danny.

Rut will typically peak Nov 10-20. A big late Oct storm can definetely move the deer and start pre-rut activity.

Winter can roar in to Idaho's central mountains any time starting Oct 1, so if you plan to go high, just be prepared to have weather radios and move down the mountain quickly if needed.

I had the tag last year. Not much to tell. Thought it was fair at best with mild weather. That last week is very weather dependent.

For those of you who have hunted the area, how is the population of Wolves, Bears and Lions?

Last year I spoke with a F&G employee and he showed me the spot he watched a wolf chase a doe up the road there in 36A. I am consistently seeing more bears and fewer calves. So I don't know if it is the wolves or the bears who have had more impact. Talked to a hunter about an hour after he had to turn a black bear around with pepper spray. It's a lively area, better have a pistola or spray in that country.

The area used to have a few bucks 25 years ago, but not so great any more. I dont even deer hunt the area any more its so sad. I still enjoy spending time climbing to the peaks, so I go in September just to get a few good hikes in. Once the high country is in your blood its hard to not go back even if I dont hunt it any more.

I wouldn't waist my time in the real high country, just keep an eye on the migration corridors and pray for snow. If nothing else take a fishing pole and enjoy yourself.

The area reminds me of Northern Utah. There used to be big bucks there, but not anymore. The hunt is the same time as Utah's general season. The rut doesn't start in Oct. You can hope that some heavy snows will make them easier to find. Good Luck!
+1 on the fishing, those little bull trout think that they are a cross between a large mouth bass and Moby #####!

Hello, I live in Challis basically a few miles from 36A. I have hunted this last week of Oct. hunt since it started. There are some good bucks still left out there, 160-180 class. My friend shot a pig last year that went 210 NT. The bucks will start to travel that last week. Look up high 8000+ but do not overlook the lower country.I would look in the East Fork drainage and its tribs. If you can get away from the road hunters you should see some deer. Watch the weather as mentioned earlier as it can get snowy real quick. But this is good, gets the bucks moving for the does. Let me know if you need any more info. Mark.

Just wanted to say that this is not an easy hunt. I did not shoot a buck last year as did not see anything special. This is a walk type hunt with plenty of steep hills. Just wanted to make a point that just because you do not see big bucks during the reg. season that there still around. This is a weather dependant hunt for good sucess. This hunt will go to a quota soon as it almost did this year. It was also supposed to be rotated with the other units here in region 7 but that hasn't happened yet either. Hope I did not get anyone's hopes up, but this is a tough hunt that is still has general type results.

No, its a easy hunt. Guys can just take a 100 yard strole and shoot 210 bucks every day. I saw a group of bucks last time up that looked like elk they were so big. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that there is also gold in every creek, so bring a dredge and shovel. You'll leave with a huge buck and 5k worth of gold! Let the flood of disapointment begin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom