Idaho Moose

BacDoc

My son drew a unit 65 moose tag. We're pretty experienced deer and elk hunters , but novice Moose hunters. I've hunted deer in Idaho in the past, but we have little knowledge of unit 65. I've put in for moose for over 25 years in Utah without drawing a tag. We'll going to be in the area over the Forth of July week end. Any help on starting points would be appreciated. Thanks, BacDoc

I have an uncle that lives in Driggs. He told me the other day that the river bottoms are filthy with moose. You might want to check access, or find landowners that might let you hunt.

You going to the Beach Boys concert?

Thanks for the reply. We are aware of the amount of private property, and was hoping for someone with local connections that may be able to give us help with sorting that out. Beach Boys Concert? BacDoc

We're still looking for helpful information on unit 65 moose. My sons and I are in the area this week end, and are seeing a lot of moosey looking country, but so far not a lot of moose. Our lack of moose hunting experience is showing. We've got some good leads, but are looking for more help. The hunt started today, but this is mostly a scouting trip. Any moose hunting advice, or 65 information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, BacDoc (Liven' the Dream)

We had a similar experience. Listen to the locals. Burn lots of fuel. Get up high and check the willows. Call local F&G. If you find one there is a good chance he will not move far over the course of the season. We found 2 scouting in Aug. and ended up taking them in Nov. Same spot. Have fun.

I agree....cover lots of country now. Almost like trolling for fish until you get into them. Save the morning and early evening hours for your most promising locations. look for fresh sign and talk to anyone you see...starting to be a lot of archers out and most people are willing to help.

Well, the hunt is over. My son spent nearly weekend since Labor Day around Driggs. He and his brother went up last Friday, and killed a real nice bull. It's 44" wide with nice palms and points, and a double eye guard on one side and a triple on the other. I was not able to go due to a previous hunt commitment. His brother killed a nice bull in Wyoming with his Bow in September, but that's another story. We've spent a lot of time, and learned a lot about moose and moose hunting and had a lot of fun. Thanks to those who offered advice and encouragement. I don't know how to post pictures, but hopefully Cale will do so. He's not one to boost, but the Bull looks pretty impressive to me. LIven' the Dream. BacDoc

Congrats to your son. Sounds like a nice bull, I look forward to pictures.

Just 50 miles south and I can't find a bull worth shooting with a camera, not alone a bullet.

75img_0683.jpg

This is Cale's bull. It is an 8x8, 44 inches wide. I'll post more pics when we get the last moose for the year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom