Idaho Mule Deer

scopenstalk

I purchased an Idaho deer tag this year and have been researching areas and scouting a bit. I chose to scout some of the big country in Bonnevile county west of the river.

So far I have seen very very few deer. 3 solid days of scouting and I have seen 1 small buck and 7-8 does.

My question to those who feel inclined to answer is are the deer numbers extremley low in those units? The biologists even after the hard winter seemed to think that all 3 major units in Bonnevile county had decent sized deer herds. My experience has lead me to believe either the deer hold up in the ultra thick portions of those units or they just arent very many of them!

I live in bonneville county and I believe your assessment is correct very few deer numbers. But the chance of a big one walking out one day. When you say west of the river do you mean the desert?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-17 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p] Of course the biologist is going to tell you there are good dear numbers that is their job after all. They have a pre-written script that they read to all you guys that called them asking for info. You just need to get out there and get scouting and find some deer on your own. Idaho's over the counter units can be very tough to find good deer in. It takes a lot of time and dedication. Usually several years to figure out an area or learn that you need to give up and move on to another area.
I can tell you that most of the best habitat and areas with the most dear numbers are usually around private ground and especially CRP fields.If you can figure out how to get on the public ground that adjoins private you will have your best success. Most of the bucks are usually not in the high mountain country but tend to hang in the lower elevations around private agricultural land that has good cover bordering it.

Thank you, that's so interesting! The country I hunt around home the bucks seem to find the nastiest part of the mountain and thats where they stay!

I'm thinking he's talking west of the South Fork, so 66 and 69. Yes, there are still deer here but terrible time to scout them with this heat. Real early and right at dark. We have seen some bruiser Wt down in the hay by Ririe tho.

I was a tad bit confused since the old river runs east to west from palisades to Roberts then north to south from Roberts to about black foot. But I'm on the same page now.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-17 AT 10:21PM (MST)[p]I have scouted the southern portion of unit 66 and a large portion of unit 66A.

In general, I wouldn't expect to see high numbers of deer in 66a or 66. The deer density isn't very high and in most places there is a lot of cover for deer to hide in. Even guys that know the area well don't see high numbers of deer in those units.

Last year was a good year for Eastern Idaho general season units. Last year only around 20% of the deer hunters in those units put a tag on a deer. There are some good bucks to be found but a large majority of the bucks in Idaho general season units are too young to grow big antlers.

Most people in eastern Idaho are going to be confused if you say "West of the River in Bonneville county." I would also think you were talking about West of the Snake River that runs from Menan down to Blackfoot. Most of us view 64 and 67 as North of the river (South Fork) and 66, 66A and 69 as South of the river. Maybe you are talking about the Salt River.

What was stated above is spot on for eastern idaho general units. Dont expect to see high deer densities, they just aren't there in big numbers. Those units get hunted pretty hard and its tough for most bucks to put any age on. With that said its beautiful country and a week long hunt can still be a lot of fun and a chance at a deer. Best of luck!

the big bucks tend to wander in large circles in 66 and 69... its big country with lots of hidey holes.. the deer are there.. you just got to find em.. I put a tag one a buck pretty much every year.. and bull elk too..

>the big bucks tend to wander
>in large circles in 66
>and 69... its big country
>with lots of hidey holes..
>the deer are there.. you
>just got to find em..
>I put a tag one
>a buck pretty much every
>year.. and bull elk too..
>
>

Well, I will get back after it and just keep looking. I am willing to put in the work, just wanted to know If what I was seeing was typical of the area. Thanks for all replies. I do appreciate them. Although Im a "Utard" I am willing to help anyone I can if they are down here chasing bucks. Just send me a PM.

>>the big bucks tend to wander
>>in large circles in 66
>>and 69... its big country
>>with lots of hidey holes..
>>the deer are there.. you
>>just got to find em..
>>I put a tag one
>>a buck pretty much every
>>year.. and bull elk too..
>>
>>
>
>Well, I will get back after
>it and just keep looking.
>I am willing to put
>in the work, just wanted
>to know If what I
>was seeing was typical of
>the area. Thanks for all
>replies. I do appreciate them.
>Although Im a "Utard" I
>am willing to help anyone
>I can if they are
>down here chasing bucks. Just
>send me a PM.

????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom