Idaho unit 18 elk.

HUNTNNW

I am looking for some input on some ideas for a hunt this fall. My girlfriend and myself drew 18 bull tags (Her first ever elk hunt) I have hunted the high portions of this unit for mule deer that last 2 years. I have noticed the elk tend to be in the 4,500-6,000 ft range. I had pretty much planned the whole hunt already and am headed in to hang cams and pick out the place to camp this weekend in there. I have narrowed it down to 3 potential spots about 4-5mi in. The downside of going in high is its almost certain that we will be packing a elk out on our backs uphill the whole way, but something I am prepared for. Another option that was presented now is being taken in by jet boat and dropped off. The advantage is hunting up and everything being packed downhill..hahaha...My question is for guys who have experience hunting the river up...what is a better hunt or option? I have 0 exp down on the river and have never seen that portion of the unit...are the elk quite aways in? On a map it looks to be quite open for aways to get into elk. I have narrowed down the drop off points to Sheep creek and Granite creek. Im open to others and any advice would be great. If you had the tag what would you prefer or do? thanks for any input, Shane

PM me if you dont want this on the forum, I can also trade info on mule deer here or panhandle elk. Thanks again.

congrads on the draw...your GF is gonna hate u after this u know that right !! 18 is some steep azz country I have bear hunted in here a few times..some guys I know drew this elk tag last year & also the year before none of them did very well & they had horses & mules !! I would do the river up hunt it is still gonna be a hard hunt either way but hey u might get lucky & find a couple of bulls down getting a drink !! good luck

HUNTNNW, congrats on the tags, but you don't really want to consider packing one, possibly two, elk out of that country on your back for 4-5 miles. Your GF will hate you! You'll hate you! If you are seriously willing to put money into a jet boat ride up river, I'd suggest spending that money renting a couple horses or mules instead to pack your gear in and elk out. That would be the smarter thing to do. Reading magazines about backpacking meat sounds romantic, but not in hells canyon 4-5 miles, or more. I can get you info on animal rentals if you're interested. Hate for your GF to have a "bad first impression" and never want to go again!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-13 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]I've hiked this country quite abit and she's been in it also as she drew a deer tag last year. She wanted to apply with me and i told her how hard it would be! More than likely we will only take 1 elk ob this trip, try to get hers.. im holding out for a larger bull abd if i dont see what im looking for ill eat the tag.I'm no stranger to packing elk out tho... Never down there, but I would . I have planned out our hunt in a way that keeps things doable .. Our 4-5 mi into camp is fairly flat and I have no question in my mind that packing a elk that distance is no problem as I have done way worse by myself . I also have positioned us that if we dive into what I call the hole.. And i know the hole side has lots of elk ..there were 10 bulls last year in it and the year before to. There is a old pack trail in the bottom that would take us to our rig. Would I prefer horses ? Sure would !! But finding that has been difficult as I have a friend who has a brother in Riggins asking around . I contacted a outfitter and the cost he wanted was outrageous and no way ill ever pay that much money to pack a elk out . I have ran into many over the years down there have offered to help. We figured if we brought cash and see what happens when or if we get one. I'm interested in the horse rental tho!

Also every horse packer wants the meat to a trail ... Well that's the hardest part!! I can walk the trails all day long its humping the meat with no trails to a designated trail that's the killer. I train with 70 lb packs now every hike in the mts.

Good luck my man, 5 miles, packing an elk out in the country would be grueling. I want to shake your hand if you make it happen. Your looking at a minimum of 20 miles per elk, maybe 30. Not saying it's impossible because I have met some iron men in the past but what a miserable hunt that could turn into.

P.S. I have drawn that hunt in the past and yes it's steep, rocky, and nasty on the Snake River side.

a buddy and i drew the late season 18x hunt (snake river drainage). we would appreciate it if you would capture and pen up a couple cows for us. they'll need to be fed and watered until the first part of november. close to a road, too. thanks a bunch. oh yeah, if you could be a bit selective and find a couple dry cows, that'd be super!!

>a buddy and i drew the
>late season 18x hunt (snake
>river drainage). we would appreciate
>it if you would capture
>and pen up a couple
>cows for us. they'll need
>to be fed and watered
>until the first part of
>november. close to a road,
>too. thanks a bunch. oh
>yeah, if you could be
>a bit selective and find
>a couple dry cows, that'd
>be super!!

If I find a pen with a cow in it, I'll consider my hunt over, but I will leave a nice thank you card for when you get there. I have the early X hunt tag.

I already got some great help from a couple of you guys, I really appreciate it. If I can help anybody, let me know. I'm new to the unit, but I'll have a pack frame and probably some cold beverages to share.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom