INFO ON UNIT 70 OR 71??

A

AR37

IM MIGHT BE HUNTING THERE 4TH SEASON FOR DEER AND ELK. I KNOW IT IT MOSTLY CONSISTS OF PRIVATE LAND. WHAT CALIBER OF BUCKS AND BULLS SHOULD I EXPECT? OR DOES ANYONE HAVE AND INFO ABOUT THESE UNITS, ANYTHING WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS,

First off, thee is NO 4th season (Nov 12-16) deer tags in either unit. I just did a quick check of the reg booklet.

For elk in the 4th season you have to apply by 4/1. There is tons of blm land in unit 70 that would be good elk hunting. CO has a lot of elk, most of the bulls are in the 2 1/2 yr age class and will be raghorns. By the 4th season a pretty large number of those will have been harvested by the archery/ muzzy/1st rifle/2nd rifle/ 3rd rifle. I am familiar with unit 70 and if you are set on the 4th season, I would say take a look at pony draw/dry creek basin/monogram mesa just because that is the area I am most familiar with.
peanut

70 has lots of public and lots of deer. 4th seasons new this year so I think it would be a dynamite hunt. My buddy hunted 70 last year while I hunted 61. He only saw one bunch of cows the entire 7 days. local guy hunts elk there every year cause they can draw but they don't even fill all their tags and they've been hunting it for 25+ years.

Good for deer, barely average for elk in my opinion.

How was your guys hunts last year in 61 and 70? I'm thinking about saving points for 61 but I don't know how long I want to wait?

Thanks for any thoughts.

My apologies for the misinformation. I stand corrected. I would still stay in the same areas for deer as well

Most bulls in that area are hunted hard because of Colorado's unlimited bull tags, so you'd be really lucky to get over a 300. The later the season the harder the elk are to kill. 71 better than 70 for elk. Just the opposit for bucks. Your buck on the other hand should be a slam dunk especially 4th rifle unit 70. That is wintering area for the deer. they migrate down by then. the more snow the better.I'd think you'd be foolish to shoot the first 170 buck you see. That fourth season is new this year, well for regular hunters. The ute tribe has hunted that area late forever. And its not uncommon for them to shoot a 200 plus buck right from the truck on public land. Do some research on state wildife area's there in one in 70 that is way hot late. Hint the initials are D.C.B.. Dont plaster the name all over this site please. anyone willing to seek it out will find it. But no need to say it outloud. Thats how things get screwed up. and the next thing you know. everyone is applying and we'll never get in. Happy hunting!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom