Is a blackpowder muzzleloader equal to a rifle or superior ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAN RANGE FINDERS. That has potential to fix all of these issues immediately, without making things messy. But for some reason that’s no even a discussion at this point.
Every time this is brought up it sounds just as stupid as the first time I heard it. Here I’ll translate

Ban range finders = make sure lots of animals are wounded and never recovered

You put way too much faith in your fellow human beings level of common sense and self control.

Be real good for the “herds” when 5-6 animals are being shot to recover one

Can I get a “hell right!!”

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Enforcing The Ban of Rangefinders!

That's A Tough One!

Warden Joe Pickett:

Do You Have A RangeFinder On You?

Joe Blow Hunter:

Nope!

Warden Joe Pickett:

Can I Frisk You Just To Make Sure?

Joe Blow Hunter:

You Sure Can Right After You Get A F'N Search Warrant!

Every time this is brought up it sounds just as stupid as the first time heard it. Here I’ll translate

Ban range riders = make sure lots of animals are wounded and never recovered

You put way too much faith in your fellow human beings level of common sense and self control.

Be real good for the “herds” when 5-6 animals are being shot to recover one

Can I get a “hell right!!”

You Can!

But That GRAMMAR Needs a TUNE-UP!

LoL :ROFLMAO: So unaware you post the very antagonist to your argument!!:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

That’s good stuff!!!
Maybe, if I really cared one way or the other. Which I honestly really don’t. What I do care about is the fact that the people Making these decisions refuse to acknowledge real data and they refuse to acknowledge that what they are doing won’t fix a thing. The only thing it has potential to do, is make the rifle deer hunt a little better than it is now. This isn’t about long term effects. It’s very much about short term and social feelings management. That’s it.

But as far as I’m concerned, I honestly don’t care if they pull scopes or not. I just want to see things fair for all hunt types. And so far, that’s not how things are shaking out. Archers have taken a hit. Muzzleloaders are certainly up next. When do the rifle hunters get theirs?

Id frisk her for a range finder

IMG_4925.jpeg

Enforcing The Ban of Rangefinders!

That's A Tough One!

Warden Joe Pickett:

Do You Have A RangeFinder On You?

Joe Blow Hunter:

Nope!

Warden Joe Pickett:

Can I Frisk You Just To Make Sure?

Joe Blow Hunter:

You Sure Can Right After You Get A F'N Search Warrant!
Same could be said with smokeless powder. True 1x scopes. Hunter orange. No magnified lenses on archery sights…. The list goes on and on. If you make it a law, most will abide by it because it’s the law. You’ll always have bad actors no matter what the laws are.

Yup!

Same could be said with smokeless powder. True 1x scopes. Hunter orange. No magnified lenses on archery sights…. The list goes on and on. If you make it a law, most will abide by it because it’s the law. You’ll always have bad actors no matter what the laws are.

OR… we could do the most logical thing we could do, that would impact all hunt types evenly, and BAN RANGE FINDERS. That has potential to fix all of these issues immediately, without making things messy. But for some reason that’s no even a discussion at this point.

Without rangefinders, you could still measure the distance with a GPS map. I do this all the time when I'm planning stocks to get in range of an animal. I would be OK with banning rangefinders but you would still have guys taking 800 yard rifle shots and their buddy would be watching the shot and tell them to aim 2 feet lower and they would just "walk the shot in"

I just want to see things fair for all hunt types.
Fair :ROFLMAO:

Man you guys sound like millennials :ROFLMAO:

Fair? Are you really comparing a rifle to a bow and saying they should be equal or it’s un fair? :ROFLMAO:

Man this is better then cable TV !!!:LOL:

Hunter Orange?

A Few Years Back The Joe PICKETT Of Colorado Pulled Up The Side Of Me!

He Must Not Of Liked My DRATville Plates?

Comes Walking Up To The Door With His Hand On His Side-Arm!

First Words Out Of His Mouth:

You're Huntin Ain't You?

Uh Ya!

You Don't Have Any Orange On!

Uh I'm Not Out Of My Truck!

You Better Be Able To Reach The Orange He Says!

I Start Laughin & He's Gettin Pissed!

I Said:I'm Getting Ready To Leave,You Wanna See My License?

He Says No,I've Already Checked You Out!

He Must Of Been Watchin Me Earlier Through His Scope & Called My Plate Number To Get My Name/Info!

Or?

What About The Buddy Just Along For The Hike?

He Can Pack A RangFinder!

Without rangefinders, you could still measure the distance with a GPS map. I do this all the time when I'm planning stocks to get in range of an animal. I would be OK with banning rangefinders but you would still have guys taking 800 yard rifle shots and their buddy would be watching the shot and tell them to aim 2 feet lower and they would just "walk the shot in"

Hunter Orange?

A Few Years Back The Joe PICKETT Of Colorado Pulled Up The Side Of Me!

He Must Not Of Liked My DRATville Plates?

Comes Walking Up To The Door With His Hand On His Side-Arm!

First Words Out Of His Mouth:

You're Huntin Ain't You?

Uh Ya!

You Don't Have Any Orange On!

Uh I'm Not Out Of My Truck!

You Better Be Able To Reach The Orange He Says!

I Start Laughin & He's Gettin Pissed!

I Said:I'm Getting Ready To Leave,You Wanna See My License?

He Says No,I've Already Checked You Out!

He Must Of Been Watchin Me Earlier Through His Scope & Called My Plate Number To Get My Name/Info!
I wear orange precisely because of utards like you :love:

Fair :ROFLMAO:

Man you guys sound like millennials :ROFLMAO:

Fair? Are you really comparing a rifle to a bow and saying they should be equal or it’s un fair? :ROFLMAO:

Man this is better then cable TV !!!:LOL:
Is everyone from Idaho as ‘simple’ as you are? Or do most of its residents have common sense? I’d like it believe not everyone can call the same person “dad” and “uncle”, but with you as a fine representative, I’m not so sure.

Is everyone from Idaho as ‘simple’ as you are? Or do most of its residents have common sense? I’d like it believe not everyone can call the same person “dad” and “uncle”, but with you as a fine representative, I’m not so sure.
This from a utard that can’t understand why muzzle loaders have their own season to begin with.

Somehow I’m not offended

After 820 posts from two different threads on the Utah site and 118 posts on this thread, with nemours posts stating taking scopes off of muzzleloaders is not about improving deer numbers. Guys are still grand standing "this will not improve deer numbers".
Well no s@#$ Sherlock it is not intended to improve deer numbers.?

Well I was going to reply to your thread that told about you're involvement in the 70's in going to several meetings and helping promote the original muzzleloader season in Utah. You must of edited it because I can't find it now?

I don't blame you if you did as you had your phone number on it and who knows who might have tried to call you!!

Anyway I read it and the one thing that you said that caught my eye was " I wished we'd never started a muzzleloader season as none of us involved ever thought it would become what it has today." Now this is probably not the exact wording as like I said I can't find it now to quote it but it's close enough to mean the same.

My point is muzzleloader season might not have ever been called a " primitive weapon season " mostly because it was pretty much assumed that's what it was. You guys who laid the groundwork and did all the legwork to get the Muzzy season in the first place had no idea that technology could one day ruin what started out to be a good thing. Otherwise why would you regret ever starting it in the first place.

Kudos to you and others who spent a lot of time and hard work in the 70's starting the original " Traditional " muzzleloader season in Utah.

After 820 posts from two different threads on the Utah site and 118 posts on this thread, with nemours posts stating taking scopes off of muzzleloaders is not about improving deer numbers. Guys are still grand standing "this will not improve deer numbers".
Well no s@#$ Sherlock it is not intended to improve deer numbers.?
So why take scopes off muzzleloaders then if it's not going to improve the deer/buck numbers? Are we taking them off so a few more bucks might make it past the muzzy season? Great a few more bucks for the pumpkin patch to destroy couple weeks later. You guys on here that think that shooting a muzzleloader long range is easy clearly have no experience shooting muzzys long range. Go shoot them in the wind and tell me it's just like a single shot long range rifle. I could care less take my scope off that's the least evolved piece of tech on my muzzy. Tell me how it's going to improve anything and I'll gladly take my scope off. It's just like those deadly trail cameras we had to get rid of that really did alot didn't it.

Let's take the ten tech committee members and have them shoot whatever muzzleloaders that they currently own, and if they can shoot a combined average 6" or smaller 3 shot group at 300 yards then we shut up and let them do their worst.
My bet is they can't shoot a 12" group at that range.

Well I was going to reply to your thread that told about you're involvement in the 70's in going to several meetings and helping promote the original muzzleloader season in Utah. You must of edited it because I can't find it now?

I don't blame you if you did as you had your phone number on it and who knows who might have tried to call you!!

Anyway I read it and the one thing that you said that caught my eye was " I wished we'd never started a muzzleloader season as none of us involved ever thought it would become what it has today." Now this is probably not the exact wording as like I said I can't find it now to quote it but it's close enough to mean the same.

My point is muzzleloader season might not have ever been called a " primitive weapon season " mostly because it was pretty much assumed that's what it was. You guys who laid the groundwork and did all the legwork to get the Muzzy season in the first place had no idea that technology could one day ruin what started out to be a good thing. Otherwise why would you regret ever starting it in the first place.

Kudos to you and others who spent a lot of time and hard work in the 70's starting the original " Traditional " muzzleloader season in Utah.
WTF are you talking about?

So why take scopes off muzzleloaders then if it's not going to improve the deer/buck numbers? Are we taking them off so a few more bucks might make it past the muzzy season? Great a few more bucks for the pumpkin patch to destroy couple weeks later. You guys on here that think that shooting a muzzleloader long range is easy clearly have no experience shooting muzzys long range. Go shoot them in the wind and tell me it's just like a single shot long range rifle. I could care less take my scope off that's the least evolved piece of tech on my muzzy. Tell me how it's going to improve anything and I'll gladly take my scope off. It's just like those deadly trail cameras we had to get rid of that really did alot didn't it.
I agree, I would gladly take my scope off if there was logic behind the idea. No one has come up with any logical explanation as to the WHY?! It ain’t to save the deer as the technology committee claims.

The lack of a “primitive weapon” definition in utah, should give a pretty strong indication that it wasn’t ever intended to be one. I think this year is the first time they ever started thinking about defining a primitive weapon definition in the state.

Kinda like “UDOW”, “primitive weapon” seasons in utah doesn’t exist… but we do have a muzzleloader season, and the Utah DWR has had that season in effect for quite awhile.

Yup, and you are correct.

We need to define a muzzleloader, including components.

Pistol bullets should not be included. Neither should anything other than black powder. Flint or #11 cap.

Taking scopes is the right idea wrong policy.

Limiting muzzleloader effectiveness begins at pyrodex, sabots, and 209.

Second.

Because Im aware. I wonder out loud, how much pressure to add scopes came from hunters, vs how much came from industry that saw a huge market in optics? Those backdoor meetings I'm guessing never heard the words "hunters want it".

I agree, I would gladly take my scope off if there was logic behind the idea. No one has come up with any logical explanation as to the WHY?! It ain’t to save the deer as the technology committee claims.

What was the logic to put them on?

Not really. I am supportive of the movement to limit technology and put the "hunt" back in "hunting." There is no crying coming from my house. What are you hearing out in the Basin?

Hawkeye

There's no deer, elk, or even a blade of grass in the basin. The women are ugly, infertile. The fish are stunted. The food sucks, there's only Bud light. ?

What do you think the correlation is between the guys crying about scopes, crying about cams, crying about bait. I'd wager, all the same guys

Pistol bullets should not be included. Neither should anything other than black powder. Flint or #11 cap.

Second.

Because Im aware. I wonder out loud, how much pressure to add scopes came from hunters, vs how much came from industry that saw a huge market in optics? Those backdoor meetings I'm guessing never heard the words "hunters want it".

Second.

THIS!!!!!

I remember the White, everyone wanted one. Then Knight came around, CVA, Traditions, Remington. They all came open sighted.

Then suddenly, scopes exploded oni the scene.

Followed by a change in regs.

I agree with hoss, kinda seems a market driven change, not a change to the market.

I realize in Utah, the industry never is involved in the WB, nor would the WB at the tome it was changed ever been representing g commercial interests?

Remove the rangefinder and the rifle hunter will walk the bullets in is a correct statement. Can be done by yourself -no team needed.

Muzzleloader - this will be very hard unless you have a team with you -and even then -takes time to reload and adjust for the animal that has moved. Probability of success -very low. By yourself -good luck seeing through the smokescreen.

Archery -would take the biggest hit. I have a 5 yard rule out to 40 yards. You better be within 5 yards on your range and use the correct pin. If not -it’s a miss or a wound. The further you shoot the less your error. Get out far enough and you better have your angle and yardage exact.

I understand where bux-n-dux is coming from - but this would give the rifle hunter the advantage again. Im sure the tech committee is looking at eliminating them. They “KNOW” everything……..Just like they “KNOW” that the muzzleloader has advanced at a much faster pace than rifles or archery -but don’t have any data to back it up. Exception- YouTube……

why does everything have to be fair? you guys all in second grade? would explain some of the cognitive ability im seeing here...

I spoke for a muzzleloader hunting season, at all 5 public hearings, back in the 1970’s I was a designated representative of the Utah Muzzleloaders, and traveled with it’s President, Al Rucksaker, to each public hearing including the final Board of Big Game (which it was called at the time.) meeting, where the Board voted to hold a Utah State wide, 9 day Muzzleloader Season beginning the first Saturday of November each year. DWR big game biologists, Norm Hancock and Grant Jensen also attended all the public hearings and the Board hearing and opposed the requests made by the Utah Muzzleloaders Assocation’s request. Also in attendance were the Presidents of the Utah Wildlife Federation, Utah Bowman’s Association and the Salt Lake Sportsmen’s Club, all were in support of the Utah Muzzleloaders request.

The DWR recorded the minutes of those meetings, whether they still have audio recordings or written minutes of them, I do not know, nor do I care. Personally I now believe we should have never permitted a muzzleloader hunt, because it has evolved into a hunt that was never envisioned, nor wanted by those of us who pushed for it.

I previously posted the intent of the muzzleloaders what pushed for and got the hunt approved. It’s here somewhere in the Monster Muley archives, if you care enough to search it out and read it. I seriously doubt anyone really cares…….. this is all just campfire bickering and nothing more.

My phone number is 435-979-5521. I’ll talk about it with anyone but I’m dyslexic and one finger typing volumes of history is more than I going to do.
I mistakenly thought Bux n Dux made this post and kept scrolling through his name trying to find it again and couldn't .

Thanks for all your hard work in the 70's getting a muzzleloader season started.

I appreciate the fact that you and others who pushed for the original muzzleloader season admittedly never wanted or expected it to turn into what it has become.
WTF are you talking about?
My apologies to you sir as I thought you had made this post. I was wrong but I did find it. Only you're not the one who posted it.

2lumpy did a good write up on how and why the muzzle loader season started in the first place and pretty much says none of the guys who pushed it through would of done so if they would of known what it was gonna become.
Pretty much saying it was never intended to go "high tech"

That speaks volumes to me and I hope it does to others.

It's a good read whether you agree with it or not.

I mistakenly thought Bux n Dux made this post and kept scrolling through his name trying to find it again and couldn't .

Thanks for all your hard work in the 70's getting a muzzleloader season started.

I appreciate the fact that you and others who pushed for the original muzzleloader season admittedly never wanted or expected it to turn into what it has become.

My apologies to you sir as I thought you had made this post. I was wrong but I did find it. Only you're not the one who posted it.

2lumpy did a good write up on how and why the muzzle loader season started in the first place and pretty much says none of the guys who pushed it through would of done so if they would of known what it was gonna become.
Pretty much saying it was never intended to go "high tech"

That speaks volumes to me and I hope it does to others.

It's a good read whether you agree with it or not.
You’re correct, we did not intend it to be high tech. We already had a high tech weapons hunt. It was the “any weapon hunt”. The any weapon hunting was the ultimate high tech hunt already, in the 1970s. We weren’t looking for another one.

Historically, the any weapons hunt began when the Europeans arrived with a muzzleloader called the arquebus or something like that. That eventually evolved into the Savage, Martin, and Winchester, lever action sporting rifle, followed by the bolt action and semi-autos. So in reality the all weapons hunt was already a hunt with technically advanced fire arms. Utah sportsmen wanted a hunt that wasn’t as advanced technically.

Primarily in the eastern States, muzzleloader enthusiasts built custom made muzzleloaders to hold shooting events and do Revolutionary and Civil War re-enactments, prior to the 1970s. In the late 1960s Thompson Center brought to market the T/C Hawkin muzzleloading rifle. It had limited interest until the movie Jeremiah Johnson was released in 1972. In the movie Johnson finds a dead mountain man laying frozen against a tree, holding a Hawkin rifle in his lap. Johnson takes the rifle and becomes a Mountain Man himself. This movie and the Hawkin rifle egnites a huge interest in the Western States in mountain men and their lifestyle. Almost immediately western sportsmen are putting racks on their pickup, cutting lodge poles, buying 18’ teepees, buying and building Hawkin and other mountain men styles muzzleloaders. Mountain men muzzleloader clubs sprang up all over the west. State organizations were formed, meeting and shooting contests were held regularly. You could attended a competitive muzzleloader shooting event somewhere every weekend during the summer and even some winter weekends. Mountain men rendezvous reenactments came soon after. Each club held their own local rendezvous and State and National groups rechartered the original Rocky Mountain Fur Company charter and began holding reenactment rendezvous at original 1800s rendezvous locations in Utah and Wyoming.

Utah offered a “trial muzzleloader season ” for five years beginning in the early 1970’s. It was held the same time as the August archery season. On just 5 of the over 60 units the archers and the muzzleloader were both in the field hunting at the same time. In either 1976 or 1977 ( can’t remember which anymore) the trail muzzleloader season ended and the Dept of Wildlife Resources decided not to allow muzzleloader hunters a season any longer. The muzzleloader clubs and the State Muzzleloader Association opposed the DWR decision to the Board and won the right to have the 9 day season, State Wide in November, after all the other “tradition Utah hunts” were over. It was moved to its current season a few years later. By agreeing to hunt in November, after all the other hunters had already had their archery and any weapon hunts, the State Muzzleloader organization was able to get the support of the Utah Bowman’s Association, Utah Wildlife Federation and the Salt Lake Sportsmen’s Club. These groups represent a large portion of Utah’s hunters and had significant influence with the DWR, the Wildlife Board, the Governor and the Legislators. (Sounds similar to how things work today, doesn’t it!)

I shared the above response to once again, restate……. The Utah Muzzleloader season was established by a few hundred muzzleloader enthusiasts who wanted to hunt mule deer with the same tools as those early 1800s mountain men. It was never anything to do with having more hunting opportunity. The very idea that it would quickly involve into a modern day technology enhanced weapons hunt is simple rewriting history and misguided at best or an intentional fabrication of the truth, at the least.

For one thing, we already had the high tech any weapon hunt in Utah and how in hell would we have known range finders, fast twist barrels, sabots, Blackhorn 209 powder, etc etc etc was going to come along and bastardize the muzzleloading rifle? How could we have thought to writing up a recommendation or set of regulations for things no one had even considered let along understood their effect on the sport. I guess we were dumber than you folks.

Lee Robinson, the most influential Utah modern day mountain man, would roll over in his grave, if he could read these commits being made today.

It's Kinda Like Election Time hawky!

Everybody PISSIN & MOANIN!

But Most Of Them Won't Step Up!

Not really. I am supportive of the movement to limit technology and put the "hunt" back in "hunting." There is no crying coming from my house. What are you hearing out in the Basin?

Hawkeye

And hawky!

I Did Get My HAWKENS Out a Week Ago!

It Did Bring Back Some Memories!

Wondering WTH I'm Gonna Find Some Fresh 3fff BLACK NASTY At?

You’re correct, we did not intend it to be high tech. We already had a high tech weapons hunt. It was the “any weapon hunt”. The any weapon hunting was the ultimate high tech hunt already, in the 1970s. We weren’t looking for another one.

Historically, the any weapons hunt began when the Europeans arrived with a muzzleloader called the arquebus or something like that. That eventually evolved into the Savage, Martin, and Winchester, lever action sporting rifle, followed by the bolt action and semi-autos. So in reality the all weapons hunt was already a hunt with technically advanced fire arms. Utah sportsmen wanted a hunt that wasn’t as advanced technically.

Primarily in the eastern States, muzzleloader enthusiasts built custom made muzzleloaders to hold shooting events and do Revolutionary and Civil War re-enactments, prior to the 1970s. In the late 1960s Thompson Center brought to market the T/C Hawkin muzzleloading rifle. It had limited interest until the movie Jeremiah Johnson was released in 1972. In the movie Johnson finds a dead mountain man laying frozen against a tree, holding a Hawkin rifle in his lap. Johnson takes the rifle and becomes a Mountain Man himself. This movie and the Hawkin rifle egnites a huge interest in the Western States in mountain men and their lifestyle. Almost immediately western sportsmen are putting racks on their pickup, cutting lodge poles, buying 18’ teepees, buying and building Hawkin and other mountain men styles muzzleloaders. Mountain men muzzleloader clubs sprang up all over the west. State organizations were formed, meeting and shooting contests were held regularly. You could attended a competitive muzzleloader shooting event somewhere every weekend during the summer and even some winter weekends. Mountain men rendezvous reenactments came soon after. Each club held their own local rendezvous and State and National groups rechartered the original Rocky Mountain Fur Company charter and began holding reenactment rendezvous at original 1800s rendezvous locations in Utah and Wyoming.

Utah offered a “trial muzzleloader season ” for five years beginning in the early 1970’s. It was held the same time as the August archery season. On just 5 of the over 60 units the archers and the muzzleloader were both in the field hunting at the same time. In either 1976 or 1977 ( can’t remember which anymore) the trail muzzleloader season ended and the Dept of Wildlife Resources decided not to allow muzzleloader hunters a season any longer. The muzzleloader clubs and the State Muzzleloader Association opposed the DWR decision to the Board and won the right to have the 9 day season, State Wide in November, after all the other “tradition Utah hunts” were over. It was moved to its current season a few years later. By agreeing to hunt in November, after all the other hunters had already had their archery and any weapon hunts, the State Muzzleloader organization was able to get the support of the Utah Bowman’s Association, Utah Wildlife Federation and the Salt Lake Sportsmen’s Club. These groups represent a large portion of Utah’s hunters and had significant influence with the DWR, the Wildlife Board, the Governor and the Legislators. (Sounds similar to how things work today, doesn’t it!)

I shared the above response to once again, restate……. The Utah Muzzleloader season was established by a few hundred muzzleloader enthusiasts who wanted to hunt mule deer with the same tools as those early 1800s mountain men. It was never anything to do with having more hunting opportunity. The very idea that it would quickly involve into a modern day technology enhanced weapons hunt is simple rewriting history and misguided at best or an intentional fabrication of the truth, at the least.

For one thing, we already had the high tech any weapon hunt in Utah and how in hell would we have known range finders, fast twist barrels, sabots, Blackhorn 209 powder, etc etc etc was going to come along and bastardize the muzzleloading rifle? How could we have thought to writing up a recommendation or set of regulations for things no one had even considered let along understood their effect on the sport. I guess we were dumber than you folks.

Lee Robinson, the most influential Utah modern day mountain man, would roll over in his grave, if he could read these commits being made today.

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on why, when and how Utah's muzzleloader seasons got started in the first place.

Obviously you've read a lot of the comments being said today like " Muzzleloader season was were never intended to be a primitive weapon season or a short range weapon season etc. ,etc. trying to defend what it has become and what some want it to continue to be.

You're pretty much the first guy to post what I consider the facts and truths on the whys and the how's as to the start of muzzleloader season in most states , especially Utah.

I hope all people who have had much to say on this issue will take the time to read your post and give some serious thought to where they really want muzzleloader season to be in 10 years from now.

Maybe Utah's muzzleloader hunting wouldn't be where it is today if you original guys would of been able to predict the future! Nobody has that excuse now as we've hopefully all learned that technology has no limits.

Again-- Thanks for a great post

Question, Why was the muzzle loader hunt moved from the November dates to the current September dates? And what was that motivation?
Improved weapons? Too successful during the rut? Why?

I'll admit I've been mostly an archery guy for the last 20 or so years and took up muzzle loaders as a part of the dedicated hunter program. If needed I'll pull the scope that came with my gun to comply if the changes are made. I'd just like to understand the motivation of those driving the change. So far it has been a less than stellar presentation.

But I Guess The StickFlipper & The Long Rangers Haven't Gone High Tech As Well?

SPLAIN It!
Again with the crying about un fair. Totally missing the point. But you’ll never understand. That’s pretty obvious

I can help you with the “fair” aspect though. You and several others seem really hung up on that. If rifle season is such a hugely advantaged thing over muzzle loaders go pick up a rifle. Pretty sure you have just as fair of an opportunity to buy a rifle tag.

There. I fixed it for you. Turns out your on the exact same playing field as anyone else

2 lumpy
Thanks for your article first and foremost.

I do have a question for you. I know some of the original members and still “utah bowman’s association”
In your opinion and I sincerely want to hear it please.
What do you think the original bowman’s association would think of todays modern bow -compared to the 1970 systems and technology ?
Do you think they envisioned 120 yard archery kills ? And what do you think was considered an ethical hunting distance with a bow in 1970 ?

The same question for rifle shooters in 1970?
How far were they shooting at big game compared to now.

I’m not trying to put you on the spot - just trying to understand where we were in 1970 with other weapons compared to todays weapons.

Any members of the bowman’s association chime in and tell the story.
Thank You.

Pretty sure you have just as fair of an opportunity to buy a rifle tag.
Except in utah for general deer, you cant “buy” a rifle tag. You can’t buy a general muzzleloader deer tag either. You can DRAW one. But not buy.

For someone who’s pretty passionate about a topic in a state they don’t reside in that really has nothing to do with them, they sure are pretty uninformed on the facts of the matter.

Hey PLICKETT!

Un-Like You!

Some Of Us Use & Hunt With All 3 Weapon Types!

Wait Till They Take You Back To A Fred Bear!

Without His Hunting Abilities!

You're The Guy That Votes Against Other Hunters Because You Don't Hunt With That Weapon Type So You Vote Against Them For Ignorance!

Carry On With Your BS!

Again with the crying about un fair. Totally missing the point. But you’ll never understand. That’s pretty obvious

I can help you with the “fair” aspect though. You and several others seem really hung up on that. If rifle season is such a hugely advantaged thing over muzzle loaders go pick up a rifle. Pretty sure you have just as fair of an opportunity to buy a rifle tag.

There. I fixed it for you. Turns out your on the exact same playing field as anyone else

Hey PLICKETT!

Un-Like You!

Some Of Us Use & Hunt With All 3 Weapon Types!

Wait Till They Take You Back To A Fred Bear!

Without His Hunting Abilities!

You're The Guy That Votes Against Other Hunters Because You Don't Hunt With That Weapon Type So You Vote Against Them For Ignorance!

Carry On With Your BS!
Got a mid 60’s Fred bear hanging on the wall ready to go

2 lumpy

I do have a question for you. I know some of the original members and still “utah bowman’s association”
What do you think the original bowman’s association would think of todays modern bow -compared to the 1970 systems and technology ?
Do you think they envisioned 120 yard archery kills ? And what do you think was considered an ethical hunting distance with a bow in 1970 ?

I’m not trying to put you on the spot - just trying to understand where we were in 1970 with other weapons compared to todays weapons.

Thank You.
Just like any weapon type, people have been pushing the limits since their introduction as a “legal” weapon for any hunt. Late 80s there were guys shooting 100 yards with compounds, or trying to. By the mid 90s, they were doing it on purpose and very efficiently killing animals. Same goes with rifles. Muzzleloaders… there’s guys killing stuff with blowguns at ranges some would struggle to hit an animal with a traditional bow at. You either need to draw a line in the sand and take it back to the most basic forms of the weapon type, or you need to draw a line now and say no more beyond here. Anything aside from that, just creates drama. Some here are very hung up on the word “fair”. Well this clearly isn’t being brought up for the benefit of wildlife. It’s to manage social feelings. If it’s not for the wildlife, then we need to take a look at what is “fair” for the technology limitations of all hunters and their preferred weapons.

I’d love to see long bows, basic muzzleloaders, straight wall lever action rifles and no scopes or adjustable sights of any kind across all weapons. As well as banning range finders. That seems fair for everyone involved and benefits Wildlife at the same time. Win-Win. Sure you could walk in a shot with a rifle, but when you’re shouting rainbows at them to begin with, it makes it a lot harder beyond 250 yards.

Except in utah for general deer, you cant “buy” a rifle tag. You can’t buy a general muzzleloader deer tag either. You can DRAW one. But not buy.

For someone who’s pretty passionate about a topic in a state they don’t reside in that really has nothing to do with them, they sure are pretty uninformed on the facts of the matter.
Guess I missed the part of the OP of this thread in the general hunting forum that said this topic was strictly about utards. To clear it up for you, scopes should not be on muzzle loaders for any season, anywhere.

That better cupcake?

I was fortunate to have gotten to know Lee Robertson when I moved to the Basin in the 80’s. He had retired from the DWR, and lived in a cabin he had built in Fruitland. He was a mountain man through and through. Most probably don’t know that he was instrumental in development of the hunter safety program for the state of Utah. (Utah had the highest hunter accident incidents in the western U.S at the time) It was the template for programs across the nation. He was a man of many interests and talents. He was an accomplished gunsmith, and shot a muzzleloader that he had built from scratch . Anybody else remember when he did the hunting predictions with Paul James before the Utah deer hunt. I didn’t mean to high jack this discussion, but mention of him brought back some wonderful memories. He was instrumental in the development of a muzzleloader hunt in Utah, and I’m sure would be sadden by what it has become.

Hey BacDoc!

I Surely Do Remember Him!

He Signed My Blue Card!

He was an outdoorsman and adventurer all his life, learning to fly, scuba dive, hunt, rock climb and explore the beautiful state of Utah, trail by path. He is a Navy veteran of World War II, having been in nearly all the major theaters of battle in the Pacific. He worked for Utah Fish & Game (later Utah Wildlife Reserve) as the Hunter Education Coordinator for nearly 30 years. He initiated the Hunter Education program in Utah, one of the early and always the finest in the nation. He was "Mr. Fish & Game" to Utah television viewers and grade school classrooms.He was a competitive shooter in pistol, large bore and small bore, but evolved to the greater frolic of muzzleloading. He became a master gunbuilder in the art of creating fine "Golden Age" muzzleloaders. When he could no longer create them, he wrote and illustrated a beginning gunbuilders how-to manual to share his experiences.

Ya!

If He Was Still With Us Today He'd Sure Be Shaking His Head!

I was fortunate to have gotten to know Lee Robertson when I moved to the Basin in the 80’s. He had retired from the DWR, and lived in a cabin he had built in Fruitland. He was a mountain man through and through. Most probably don’t know that he was instrumental in development of the hunter safety program for the state of Utah. (Utah had the highest hunter accident incidents in the western U.S at the time) It was the template for programs across the nation. He was a man of many interests and talents. He was an accomplished gunsmith, and shot a muzzleloader that he had built from scratch . Anybody else remember when he did the hunting predictions with Paul James before the Utah deer hunt. I didn’t mean to high jack this discussion, but mention of him brought back some wonderful memories. He was instrumental in the development of a muzzleloader hunt in Utah, and I’m sure would be sadden by what it has become.

Last edited:
Guess I missed the part of the OP of this thread in the general hunting forum that said this topic was strictly about utards. To clear it up for you, scopes should not be on muzzle loaders for any season, anywhere.

That better cupcake?
According to who? You?

I was one of the original people who earned a hunter safety card from Lee Robertson. Nice guy.
I'm sorry but I'm not about to put any of them on a pedestal. They were as much influenced by social pressure at the time a is being currently exserted by current hunters.

Yep……. all those things about Lee are true…. and much more. He was always the elephant in the room. I got to know him quite well but not nearly as well as I would have liked to. He was a leader in many things.

You need not apologize to me. Complementary comments about the good ole boys from the past always set well with. Thanks for sharing.

I was one of the original people who earned a hunter safety card from Lee Robertson. Nice guy.
I'm sorry but I'm not about to put any of them on a pedestal. They were as much influenced by social pressure at the time a is being currently exserted by current hunters.
Yea…….. and you and I aren’t?

Yea…….. and you and I aren’t?
You did what you thought right at the time, I didn't agree then and i still don't today. We can both have an opinion.

Been listening to this BS for a lot of years. Deer are still going down hill.

Blame it on the man if it makes you feel good. Fact of the matter is nothing is the same as 1958.

Just like any weapon type, people have been pushing the limits since their introduction as a “legal” weapon for any hunt. Late 80s there were guys shooting 100 yards with compounds, or trying to. By the mid 90s, they were doing it on purpose and very efficiently killing animals. Same goes with rifles. Muzzleloaders… there’s guys killing stuff with blowguns at ranges some would struggle to hit an animal with a traditional bow at. You either need to draw a line in the sand and take it back to the most basic forms of the weapon type, or you need to draw a line now and say no more beyond here. Anything aside from that, just creates drama. Some here are very hung up on the word “fair”. Well this clearly isn’t being brought up for the benefit of wildlife. It’s to manage social feelings. If it’s not for the wildlife, then we need to take a look at what is “fair” for the technology limitations of all hunters and their preferred weapons.

I’d love to see long bows, basic muzzleloaders, straight wall lever action rifles and no scopes or adjustable sights of any kind across all weapons. As well as banning range finders. That seems fair for everyone involved and benefits Wildlife at the same time. Win-Win. Sure you could walk in a shot with a rifle, but when you’re shouting rainbows at them to begin with, it makes it a lot harder beyond 250 yards.
I know I’m repeating myself but I’ll keep saying it.

I don’t care anymore what they, them, or you do, when it comes to mule deer anymore. I had my turn at the plate and struck out, not just once, but numerous times over the years, trying to preserve abundant, surplus mule deer populations because they are the lynch pin to preserving the big game hunting life style.

I now simply engage, on this forum only, sharing the last 48 years living in close proximity to mule deer and mule deer hunting in Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, and Alberta. There aren’t many left alive that are willing to do that, so I’ll do it…….. until I don’t.

I have no agenda other than to tell the truth, as my eyes have seen and my mind recorded it. Anyone is welcome to challenge anything and everything I post here.

Last edited:
Hey BacDoc!

I Surely Do Remember Him!

He Signed My Blue Card!

He was an outdoorsman and adventurer all his life, learning to fly, scuba dive, hunt, rock climb and explore the beautiful state of Utah, trail by path. He is a Navy veteran of World War II, having been in nearly all the major theaters of battle in the Pacific. He worked for Utah Fish & Game (later Utah Wildlife Reserve) as the Hunter Education Coordinator for nearly 30 years. He initiated the Hunter Education program in Utah, one of the early and always the finest in the nation. He was "Mr. Fish & Game" to Utah television viewers and grade school classrooms.He was a competitive shooter in pistol, large bore and small bore, but evolved to the greater frolic of muzzleloading. He became a master gunbuilder in the art of creating fine "Golden Age" muzzleloaders. When he could no longer create them, he wrote and illustrated a beginning gunbuilders how-to manual to share his experiences.

Ya!

If He Was Still With Us Today He'd Sure Be Shaking His Head!
He liked that Elk Ridge country as much as you and your family. I was going to go down with him, but sadly he died suddenly before we made the trip. That’s a sad story for another time

You did what you thought right at the time, I didn't agree then and i still don't today. We can both have an opinion.

Blame it on the man if it makes you feel good. Fact of the matter is nothing is the same as 1958.
There’s another opinion I’m sure we can disagree on.

Then you raise your hand and say, “I want the job.” You become “the man”

You get the accolades when you succeed and you get called out when you fail. As it should be.

For Somebody From I'Da'Hoe!

He Sure Gets Wrapped Up In This Stuff!
I know hunters from idaho and you’re pretty much set back to pre 1985 tech but without 209 primers/sabots. Just this year -they allowed copper jacket bullets as long as they are .010 within the lands.
I can understand where someone from idaho would want it to be “FAIR” for utah hunters to be just like them.
Curious why someone from idaho is evening commenting on fair - except to cause trouble for the utah group.

It has been going down hill, for 40 years. But…….. not the elk, not the sheep, not the mt goats, not the ducks, not geese, not the whitetails, not the bison, not cougars, not the bears, not the coyotes…. Not the pigs, beef or chickens. Just the mule deer and the pronghorn……… due to mismanagement, and that’s an unmitigated fact.

I own my failures…….. you?

I know hunters from idaho and you’re pretty much set back to pre 1985 tech but without 209 primers/sabots. Just this year -they allowed copper jacket bullets as long as they are .010 within the lands.
I can understand where someone from idaho would want it to be “FAIR” for utah hunters to be just like them.
Curious why someone from idaho is evening commenting on fair - except to cause trouble for the utah group.
He is just angry at the world because he knows soon he is going to have to start keeping track of bonus and preference points from Idaho G$F.
But I do give him some credit, thanks to this forum his spelling and punctuation skills have improved!

Question, Why was the muzzle loader hunt moved from the November dates to the current September dates? And what was that motivation?

I'll admit I've been mostly an archery guy for the last 20 or so years and took up muzzle loaders as a part of the dedicated hunter program. If needed I'll pull the scope that came with my gun to comply if the changes are made. I'd just like to understand the motivation of those driving the change. So far it has been a less than stellar presentation.

To save the mule deer.

The concern was we were hunting rutting up bucks, and had too much of an advantage.

Kinda true, but that was before global warming and sxs so winter was generally a factor

It has been going down hill, for 40 years. But…….. not the elk, not the sheep, not the mt goats, not the ducks, not geese, not the whitetails, not the bison, not cougars, not the bears, not the coyotes…. Not the pigs, beef or chickens. Just the mule deer and the pronghorn……… due to mismanagement, and that’s an unmitigated fact.

I own my failures…….. you?

Might want to revisit this.

Moose are down, goats are down, ducks are down, pheasants are down, sheep are always down.

How's he wrong?

After 34 years sheetrocking I'm not going to be backpacking into wilderness or roadless areas.

Seems unfair. I can't physically get there so I should get a key to the gate, and a road to drive in on.

Be unfair to say younger dudes with healthier knees and backs get an advantage.

It needs to be fair.

If a dude can't see through open sights, of course we should change the intent of the hunt to accommodate, just like us old dogs should get keys to every gate, after all, that's only fair, right?

Again, what about this thread is Utah based? Go read the OP, it’s about muzzle loaders.

And game department’s are influenced by other game departments. I dont want any more trash washing over our southern border then already is

Again, what about this thread is Utah based? Go read the OP, it’s about muzzle loaders.

And game department’s are influenced by other game departments. I dont want any more trash washing over our southern border then already is
Then keep your “trash” at your northern border.
LMAO !!!!

How's he wrong?

After 34 years sheetrocking I'm not going to be backpacking into wilderness or roadless areas.

Seems unfair. I can't physically get there so I should get a key to the gate, and a road to drive in on.

Be unfair to say younger dudes with healthier knees and backs get an advantage.

It needs to be fair.

If a dude can't see through open sights, of course we should change the intent of the hunt to accommodate, just like us old dogs should get keys to every gate, after all, that's only fair, right?
Explain yourself please……
Is taking scopes off a muzzleloader “fair” because hunters in Idaho don’t have them?
And if that’s the case you better check every state in the USA. You might just be surprised on how many allow optics -more than no not.

Is taking scopes off muzzleloaders “fair” in utah when nothing is being done to the tech on archery and rifle hunts ? And don’t use the electronics excuse because all 3 weapons have that banned. Muzzleloaders (scopes) are on the chopping block because some special interest groups are saying it’s not fair.
And stating that a muzzleloader is equal to -or better than a centerfire rifle. Is that a “fair” statement ?

In regards to “eyes” and front sights. Why do you think hunters (57%) wanted optics on scopes in 2015 ?

Your last statement contradicts itself ?

Do you want scopes to stay on or off to be “fair” because utah is next to idaho?
And is a muzzleloader equal to or better than a rifle?
Let’s keep this simple.

That is funny.
You need to be MUCH more concerned about your western border than your southern border.
People crossing your southern border at least have the same love for wildlife and freedoms as you do.

Every other post now is about fair :ROFLMAO:

You snowflakes are hilarious.

Give up hoss, their minds can’t grasp it

Is taking scopes off muzzleloaders “fair” in utah when nothing is being done to the tech on archery and rifle hunts
What’s stopping you from hunting with the far superior rifles or bows? Again, seems like you got as “fair” an opportunity there as anyone else.

Or have taken some sacred vow of the muzzle loader before john smith that on your honor you may never touch any weapon but a muzzle loader should you lose your 99 wives on the moon ?

I don’t know that stuff, I’m not from Utah

Every other post now is about fair :ROFLMAO:

You snowflakes are hilarious.

Give up hoss, their minds can’t grasp it
Pickett
Did you vote on the muzzleloader scope voting poll ?
And what was your vote ?

Mine was to stay as is with no further advancements in tech.

Explain yourself please……
Is taking scopes off a muzzleloader “fair” because hunters in Idaho don’t have them?
And if that’s the case you better check every state in the USA. You might just be surprised on how many allow optics -more than no not.

Is taking scopes off muzzleloaders “fair” in utah when nothing is being done to the tech on archery and rifle hunts ? And don’t use the electronics excuse because all 3 weapons have that banned. Muzzleloaders (scopes) are on the chopping block because some special interest groups are saying it’s not fair.
And stating that a muzzleloader is equal to -or better than a centerfire rifle. Is that a “fair” statement ?

In regards to “eyes” and front sights. Why do you think hunters (57%) wanted optics on scopes in 2015 ?

Your last statement contradicts itself ?

Do you want scopes to stay on or off to be “fair” because utah is next to idaho?
And is a muzzleloader equal to or better than a rifle?
Let’s keep this simple.

Scopes were added to muzzies because older guys couldn't see good enough to use open sights(supposedly). That's a physical ailment. So to be fair, we "had" to add scopes.

Well, I've got shitty knees, and my back ain't so great. A physical ailment.

Scopes were added to muzzies because older guys couldn't see good enough to use open sights(supposedly). That's a physical ailment. So to be fair, we "had" to add scopes.

Well, I've got shitty knees, and my back ain't so great. A physical ailment.
So where are you on this ?
Remove scopes ?
Back to 1970 regs ?
Can’t figure out where you are on the issues with fair ?
I’m for leaving them on -
Please clarify.
Thanks

So where are you on this ?
Remove scopes ?
Back to 1970 regs ?
Can’t figure out where you are on the issues with fair ?
I’m for leaving them on -
Please clarify.
Thanks

I don't believe in fair.

I actually don't care about scopes, if the tech committee wants to address tech, scopes aren't the tech.

The difference in muzzy from when Lumpy proposed them to now are 3.

Sabots, powder, ignition.

You can have a 60x scope, but if the projectile can't get there, who cares.

The reason the original proposals were seen as not harmful even by the bow hunters is because muzzies for the most part were a 100yrd or less gun.

But I don't care about fair. I care about hunting. If you want fair, go to HR. If you want to hunt, your goal should be maximizing OPPURTUNITY. If that means sling shots and spears, then GREAT.

When we hunted with sidehammers launching huge chunks of lead driven by a weak ignition system, we got the OPPURTUNITY to hunt in Nov.

We lost OPPURTUNITY when we bought into marketing.

The reason we have a muzzleloader season, and not a primitive season is because no one dreamed there would be the tech we have today. To the OG guys, my #11 caps were high tech.

If you want a short range rifle, then hunt the HAMS season.

Either redefine muzzleloader as primitive, or severely limit the real tech. Start with 209, then projectile, then powder.

But shut up about fair

I just remembered another historic activity most of you Luke Sky Walker muzzleloader enthusiasts are missing out on, with your Parker sabots and Blackhorn 209.

Back before the Knight MK-85 rifle muzzleloader days, when we’re were all shooting round balls…….. if we were camped on a small lake, which we often were, we had a rather stupid but entertaining mid-day activity. We would pick out a large rock across the lake, and shoot the rock.

No big deal you say…….. well there was a caveat. The ball had to skip at least twice, across the surface of lake before it hit the rock.

I’ve never heard of that since the high tech stuff took over the sport.

Ya…….. I know……. Like I said, I’ll own my faults and failures.

Last edited:
I just remembered another historic activity most of you Luke Sky Walker muzzleloader enthusiasts are missing out on, with your Parker sabots and Blackhorn 209.

Back in the Knight MK-85 rifle muzzleloader days, when we’re were all shooting round balls…….. if we were camped on a small lake, which we often were, we had a rather stupid but entertaining mid-day activity. We would pick out a large rock across the lake, and shoot the rock.

No big deal you say…….. well there was a caveat. The ball had to skip at least twice, across the surface of lake before it hit the rock.

I’ve never heard of that since the high tech stuff took over the sport.

Ya…….. I know……. Like I said, I’ll own my faults and failures.

Vast majority don't even know what a patch and ball are. Nor would they know why there are 2 triggers

Nor have they ever boiled water to clean them.

There's no fault. How could guys have known what it would become. Muzzleloaders had remained the same for 150 years.

Any of you old timer muzzleloaders remember any of these guys.

Bill Watts - maker of Watts Water black power solvent from Salt Lake area. Watts Water because he claimed he peed in ever bottle.

Reed Radmaul (sp) - Black Powder Wholesaler from the Nephi area. His favorite muzzleloader was a Civil War cannon on wood spoked wheels. He shot round balls through it. ?

Mont Swazy (sp) BLM or Forest Service from the Price/Carbon County area. They said his home made apricot brandy was the best in the West.

Gregg Gleave full time mountain man, trapper. Not sure where his house was, I think he was from the Wasatch Front area. His teepee (lodge) was the blackest I ever saw, from years of smoke from his nights on the mountain.

Chris Peterson blacksmith, Demarcus steel maker and owner of Chris Peterson custom Damascus Knives. Aurora, Utah. Toughest man I ever met.

I’m sure some have pasted away but I know Chris is still pounding metal once in a while.

Any of you old timer muzzleloaders remember any of these guys.

Bill Watts - maker of Watts Water black power solvent from Salt Lake area. Watts Water because he claimed he peed in ever bottle.

Reed Radmaul (sp) - Black Powder Wholesaler from the Nephi area. His favorite muzzleloader was a Civil War cannon on wood spoked wheels. He shot round balls through it. ?

Mont Swazy (sp) BLM or Forest Service from the Price/Carbon County area. They said his home made apricot brandy was the best in the West.

Gregg Gleave full time mountain man, trapper. Not sure where his house was, I think he was from the Wasatch Front area. His teepee (lodge) was the blackest I ever saw, from years of smoke from his nights on the mountain.

Chris Peterson blacksmith, Demarcus steel maker and owner of Chris Peterson custom Damascus Knives. Aurora, Utah. Toughest man I ever met.

I’m sure some have pasted away but I know Chris is still pounding metal once in a while.
Hey Lumpy,
Remember the store on about 3300 S State in SLC where you could buy black powder, a tomahawk, tipi supplies, or anything else to fit in your Possibles bag right off the shelf?
I think it was called ‘The Gunsmith’ if I am not mistaken.
I was a little kid when my Dad and Mom would take me in there to get supplies to hit a Rendezvous or two every year.
I was in dreamland when I would go in there thinking how awesome to live in the west a hundred years earlier would have been.
My Dad would attend those meetings and shoots you mentioned in support of a muzzleloader Deer season.

Pay Attention Hossy!

You Don't Even Muzzle Loader Hunt Anymore!

But Oh Boy!

BY GAWD!

You're Getting Yourself a New 6.5!

Hopefully It's A PRC Cuzz If It Ain't I'm Gonna Call You a pouse'!:D

Remember Hossy!

Since You're A Professional Opportunist!

There's Two 6.5's Sittin There Starring at You!

Man-Up & Make The Right Choice!

You Said You'd Never Retire That Ought-Six?

What's Up With That?

And Don't Tell Me It's Starting To Kick!

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on why, when and how Utah's muzzleloader seasons got started in the first place.

Obviously you've read a lot of the comments being said today like " Muzzleloader season was were never intended to be a primitive weapon season or a short range weapon season etc. ,etc. trying to defend what it has become and what some want it to continue to be.

You're pretty much the first guy to post what I consider the facts and truths on the whys and the how's as to the start of muzzleloader season in most states , especially Utah.

I hope all people who have had much to say on this issue will take the time to read your post and give some serious thought to where they really want muzzleloader season to be in 10 years from now.

Maybe Utah's muzzleloader hunting wouldn't be where it is today if you original guys would of been able to predict the future! Nobody has that excuse now as we've hopefully all learned that technology has no limits.

Again-- Thanks for a great post
Thank you for you kind words. I just try to keep it real, when I can. As I’ve said before, how it goes from here is the next generations responsible.

Pay Attention Hossy!

You Don't Even Muzzle Loader Hunt Anymore!

But Oh Boy!

BY GAWD!

You're Getting Yourself a New 6.5!

Hopefully It's A PRC Cuzz If It Ain't I'm Gonna Call You a pouse'!:D

Remember Hossy!

Since You're A Professional Opportunist!

There's Two 6.5's Sittin There Starring at You!

Man-Up & Make The Right Choice!

You Said You'd Never Retire That Ought-Six?

What's Up With That?

And Don't Tell Me It's Starting To Kick!

My dedicated tag says like always, your clueless.

And since you don't read well, I said when my by turns 16 he's getting a rifle. He's 12.

That 06' will be the same place it is every year and has been since 90', on my shoulder, enjoying the opportunity.

To be totally honest I don’t remember all of the back ground of that decision. I’ll share a little more insight that might add some insight into it.

Some of the reasons the November muzzleloader hunt got approved by the Board were the following……, as I saw them, from my seat at the table.

The archers were not at all happy there were muzzleloaders hunting at the same time they were sneaking through the trees. Understandable, I didn’t blame them at the time. When we approached them to support a different season for muzzleloaders I figured they were afraid the DWR might add more units to the muzzleloader season and keep it during the archery season. They dang sure didn’t want that, so they may have supported anything but that. Hence, they supported an any season, as long as it didn’t overlap the archery season.. (I m pretty sure the rut ever entered their mind at the time.). I know the muzzleloaders weren’t asking for a rut hunt, we just want “a” season to hunt, and we told the Board that. We never asked for the November hunt, the Board put it there without us pushing for it to be in November.

The other dynamic was the elephant in the room. The Utah rifle hunters.

By the time the fifth year of the “trial muzzleloader season” came around, the rifle hunter were pissed off that guys with guns were out killing deer before the October rifle hunt. They were up the DWR butts about that with the Board. I always believed it was primarily the rifle hunters, represented by the Utah Wildlife Federation and a strong and well connected group from the Salt Lake Sportsmen’s Club who were leaning on Norm Hancock and Grant Jense from the DWR, that caused them to recommend the Board completely do away with the muzzleloader hunt…….. because there members where complaining about the muzzleloaders get first crack at the mule deer with a rifle……. muzzleloader or not.

Again, I think the rifle hunters representative’s didn’t object because they didn’t think the Board will authorize any hunt and they weren’t thinking about a November season either. They were more concerned that if there was a season, it wasn’t prior to the third Saturday in October.

Finally, in the 1970’s there was no shortage of mule deer. In fact, some believed there were far too many. The Board meetings were filled with agriculture organizations threatening law suits if deer populations were allowed to increase, with annual spring range horse back rides, with bureaucrats, hunters, and land owners and lessers……… studying winter range over grazing caused by too many mule deer. I recall two local Legislators riding with us some years. So the evils of hunting seasons near or during the rut was a big, “who gives a damn”. Like I said, the November season being a week before the rut was never an issue and it was never discussed, with any passion, at any public meeting I attended.

I can’t recall what year the DWR recommended the season be moved to September. I do think it was at least years 10 year later or more, because the Knight rifle was available at the time, if I remember correctly. It have could a napkin meeting, over lunch, by some good ole boys but it was any of the good ole boys napkins from this area because I was never involve nor do I know anyone who was. I’m going to speculate that the reason it was moved were as follows: hunters had started to hear stories of big bucks getting killed by muzzleloaders in November, the number of muzzleloader had increased and they were using more advanced technologies, the talk of bucks being killed in the pre-rut/rut was pissing off rifle hunters…… again.

By then the Muzzleloader “fad” had cooled and most muzzleloader were not involved in any Muzzleloader Clubs or interested in the traditions off the muzzleloader/mountain man history, that bunch of guys were no longing an organized force in the State. Nor are they now, to my knowledge.

The muzzleloader season was well established and not longer being threatened by then and most muzzleloader hunters were by now, just regular sportsmen that enjoyed hunting with less hunting pressure etc. Hoping to catch a buck in the pre rut was likely a big draw to the November season for that group.

So………. I believe the DWR took the initiative, but I honestly can’t say for certain what their rational was.

I recall thinking, maybe an early fall hunt wouldn’t be all that bad, the weather would be better and we would once again be hunting deer prior to the rifle hunt, so why not. I wasn’t passionate about it either way so I don’t ever remember going to a public hearing and speaking one way or the other about the DWR’s recommendation. Nor do I remember anyone else speaking for or against it. I don’t even recall the rifle hunters representative being all that opposed to it, but I could be wrong about that. My recollection was it pasted through the Board process with little fan fair.

We have to remember, it wasn’t until after these changes took place that anyone but a handful of us guys even screaming that the mule deer population was in decline. A few of the South Central Utah deer hunters were the only ones fighting the DWR against the tens of thousands of antlerless mule tags being issue in the last 80’s early 90’s back in the early 90’s. That’s way we shoved the antler restriction hunts on the Division down here in 1984. Most people think the decline started with the winter of 1993. That is was not the case in South Central Utah, our herd numbers tanked 4 or 5 year prior to the winter of 1993.

Without more stimulus to jog my memory, that’s the best I can do.

2 lumpy

Thank You.
Mmmmm. I’ve owned bows all my life but never been an accomplished archer, so I’m only speculating. Remember, in Utah, before the advent of the compound bow, you could buy an archery tag and a rifle tag, at some times and places, more than one of each. I’ve known some very successful archers over the years, my son’s are pretty darn good at it now……. But nearly 50% have been at it since they could stand and hold a bow. I think it’s like Rifle and muzzleloaders hunters. The good ones, back when I was young could kill a deer or an elk with a long bow let alone a 2023 Matthews or Hoyt. I believe I could say, there are old timers that love the memories of long bow/recurve hunting and wouldn’t mind much if the “tech committee” turned the clock back, because those guys do it for the love of the hunt, more so than the weapon they are holding. Primative hunting is a very satisfying experience, by its nature. There is a rush when you’re 15/20 from a big game animal. There’s a psychological bonding euphoria that comes when you feel “at one” with primative hunters. (We all came from that genie pool.). Having said that, humans are both opportunistic and calculating. Throw in competitive. Which hunting has become, and most human will use the best tool they can get their hands on, if given a choice..

Lots of people held into farming with horses, when tractors came along but few still hold to that type of farming now. It’s not that they didn’t love their horses and their old binders, they just eventually, some sooner than others, moved to more efficient tools. Hunters are much the same, don’t you agree?

I think old timers that were avid archers are kind of the same as us old muzzleloader guys, we think you modern guys, with your high tech equipment are missing out on a lot of the fun we used to have in the field, Yes, it’s true, younger generation guys are better killers and when it comes to competetive, some of you can out kills us and when we were young, because some of you are more driven now. Not that we didn’t puff our chests out and say, “I got mine, did you get yours?). But current trends and technologies have taken that ego booster to an enterly new level.

Did the average archer hunter think 120 kills with a bow would typically be do able. Probably not, but he wasn’t aquatinted with an electronic range finder either. Chuck Adams and Fred Bear……. They were visionaries so my guess is their vision the future has better than the rest of us.

Lets put ourselves in their position today….. how well can us “normal folks” see what!s coming just 5 year from now, much less, 20 or 50 year years out.

I guess it truthfully is a personal thing and we all see things through a different prism. Kinda what makes life interesting. I’m guessing if there is a hell, it’s gonna be pretty boring. Being a lemming would be hell for me, I know that’s true, if nothing else is.

Not sure that is a satisfactory response but it the best i can do.

I don't believe in fair.

I actually don't care about scopes, if the tech committee wants to address tech, scopes aren't the tech.

The difference in muzzy from when Lumpy proposed them to now are 3.

Sabots, powder, ignition.

You can have a 60x scope, but if the projectile can't get there, who cares.

The reason the original proposals were seen as not harmful even by the bow hunters is because muzzies for the most part were a 100yrd or less gun.

But I don't care about fair. I care about hunting. If you want fair, go to HR. If you want to hunt, your goal should be maximizing OPPURTUNITY. If that means sling shots and spears, then GREAT.

When we hunted with sidehammers launching huge chunks of lead driven by a weak ignition system, we got the OPPURTUNITY to hunt in Nov.

We lost OPPURTUNITY when we bought into marketing.

The reason we have a muzzleloader season, and not a primitive season is because no one dreamed there would be the tech we have today. To the OG guys, my #11 caps were high tech.

If you want a short range rifle, then hunt the HAMS season.

Either redefine muzzleloader as primitive, or severely limit the real tech. Start with 209, then projectile, then powder.

But shut up about fair
Oh Hossy
1- Do I need to copy and paste the “fair” and “unfair” that you posted that I was replying to- asking for clarification ?

2- Do you understand the history of muzzleloaders except maybe a smooth bore ?

I’m going to help you out with a small bit of history and this dates back to 1832 origins and used by militaries in 1852. So if we use 1852 it’s been around for over 170 years.

3-A smooth bore had an effective range of 50 yards and a max range of 200.

4-A maxi ball (1852 equipped muzzleloaders) had an effective range of 300 yards and a max range of 1/2 mile.

Without going really in-depth into this muzzy tech - that’s supposedly surpassed every other modern tech on bows and rifles - I have a question for you.

Were you even aware that conical bullets and adjustable rear peeps were available in the 1970 “golden age” of what a muzzleloader was meant to be in your opinion ?
Could you fathom that long range shooting was possible back then ?

A good read for you would be to google the equipment that’s required to shoot in the NMLRA.
You might find the requirements are to shoot pre 1900 era or replica muzzleloaders/powder/conicals/sights/balls and more.
And you might find out just how far those shooters engage and hit targets.

Until then I’m still waiting for you to respond to your “fair” and “unfair” comments from 3 posts back. And since you don’t believe it -but post it -should be a good reply.

You could also make it easier by just saying “tag your it -no touch backs”

P.S.
HR wants to talk to you now as well.
Lol

Oh Hossy
1- Do I need to copy and paste the “fair” and “unfair” that you posted that I was replying to- asking for clarification ?

2- Do you understand the history of muzzleloaders except maybe a smooth bore ?

I’m going to help you out with a small bit of history and this dates back to 1832 origins and used by militaries in 1852. So if we use 1852 it’s been around for over 170 years.

3-A smooth bore had an effective range of 50 yards and a max range of 200.

4-A maxi ball (1852 equipped muzzleloaders) had an effective range of 300 yards and a max range of 1/2 mile.

Without going really in-depth into this muzzy tech - that’s supposedly surpassed every other modern tech on bows and rifles - I have a question for you.

Were you even aware that conical bullets and adjustable rear peeps were available in the 1970 “golden age” of what a muzzleloader was meant to be in your opinion ?
Could you fathom that long range shooting was possible back then ?

A good read for you would be to google the equipment that’s required to shoot in the NMLRA.
You might find the requirements are to shoot pre 1900 era or replica muzzleloaders/powder/conicals/sights/balls and more.
And you might find out just how far those shooters engage and hit targets.

Until then I’m still waiting for you to respond to your “fair” and “unfair” comments from 3 posts back. And since you don’t believe it -but post it -should be a good reply.

You could also make it easier by just saying “tag your it -no touch backs”

P.S.
HR wants to talk to you now as well.
Lol

Problem with some dudes is they don't grasp sarcasm. Did you actually think I deserved a key to a gate?

Step back from your crusade.

Stop with engineered data BS from some group.

THE VAST MAJORITY of muzzy hunters were hunting with kit guns. Hawken kit guns, that they built. I was young and couldn't afford a kit, so I bought a Thompson New Englander at Kmart

My camp in fact had 3 hawkens, a Thompson scout, and my New Englander.

But the vast majority shot kit guns. Half **** patch and ball. I shot maxi balls.

Yeah, I'm sure in perfect conditions or on some range......

But as Lumpy illustrated, they were VERY primitive, skipping ponds was a thing.

There's NO WAY guys shooting actual black powder out of horns, with set trigger muzzys, who created the hunt could have dreamed that we we shooting BH with brass housed ignition and huge scopes. It literally was dudes shooting replicate guns.

And be ause our equipment was primitive, as were our shitty 4x4, November hunts weren't that big a deal.

As Lumpy said, the Knight(few had Whites), made primitive weapons, equal to or better than 30-30, or a host of straight walled guns.

The last year of Nov hunts, there was a hurt out on pre rut bucks because the PRACTICAL range got stretched from 100yrds, to multi hundred yards.

Like I said, my 12yr old shoots a lot, and with his CVA Optima, shooting pellets and 245 powerbelts, with fiber optics, shoots 3" groups at 200yrds.

My Accura, with a chitty Konus scope, is dead in at 200, shooting much better groups than my.303 British, or 30-30.

The problem with you and others crusade, is there are enough of us that hunted sidehammers, pre inline, that you can't bullshit us. We lived, and bought into the progression of tech, and we watched it screw our OPPURTUNITY.

I'll take my Accura vs my .303, any day of the week for accuracy. And vs 30-30, 32 specials, etc, etc, there is no comparison.

Data on kills is meaningless. Especially when you consider, many of us, are dedicated, so us holding out, screws the data

Hey Hossy!

If They Make Us Go Back To HAWKENS!

This Might Be My New Gun:

View attachment 117208
I still have a couple that might be legal next year. They were good out to fifty yards in 83.

The teepee got riped in half but that’s okay cuz the lodge poles all rotten away, long ago, anyway.

I may hunt the Thousand Lake with the flintlock this fall…….what the heck, not much to point it at anyway, with or without a scope.

4B4ADD3D-2D9E-4DBC-A0BB-761F74B4D110.jpeg

Problem with some dudes is they don't grasp sarcasm. Did you actually think I deserved a key to a gate?

Step back from your crusade.

Stop with engineered data BS from some group.

THE VAST MAJORITY of muzzy hunters were hunting with kit guns. Hawken kit guns, that they built. I was young and couldn't afford a kit, so I bought a Thompson New Englander at Kmart

My camp in fact had 3 hawkens, a Thompson scout, and my New Englander.

But the vast majority shot kit guns. Half **** patch and ball. I shot maxi balls.

Yeah, I'm sure in perfect conditions or on some range......

But as Lumpy illustrated, they were VERY primitive, skipping ponds was a thing.

There's NO WAY guys shooting actual black powder out of horns, with set trigger muzzys, who created the hunt could have dreamed that we we shooting BH with brass housed ignition and huge scopes. It literally was dudes shooting replicate guns.

And be ause our equipment was primitive, as were our shitty 4x4, November hunts weren't that big a deal.

As Lumpy said, the Knight(few had Whites), made primitive weapons, equal to or better than 30-30, or a host of straight walled guns.

The last year of Nov hunts, there was a hurt out on pre rut bucks because the PRACTICAL range got stretched from 100yrds, to multi hundred yards.

Like I said, my 12yr old shoots a lot, and with his CVA Optima, shooting pellets and 245 powerbelts, with fiber optics, shoots 3" groups at 200yrds.

My Accura, with a chitty Konus scope, is dead in at 200, shooting much better groups than my.303 British, or 30-30.

The problem with you and others crusade, is there are enough of us that hunted sidehammers, pre inline, that you can't bullshit us. We lived, and bought into the progression of tech, and we watched it screw our OPPURTUNITY.

I'll take my Accura vs my .303, any day of the week for accuracy. And vs 30-30, 32 specials, etc, etc, there is no comparison.

Data on kills is meaningless. Especially when you consider, many of us, are dedicated, so us holding out, screws the data

Oh Hossy
Oh Hossy
Explain this data BS please.
And leave lumpy out this. I admire his honesty and he doesn’t proclaim to know what you think you know.
The good-ole days are gone my friend. The tech was there and you “know” that it wasn’t - in your little world that you lived in.

I do admire your passion to go back to the good -ole-days.

Btw -I’m probably older than you are. I resisted the internet because I knew better. Crazy thing is I switched over to conicals back in that era and 100 yards was a chip shot. But as you said - it wasn’t available.

Hey Lumpy,
Remember the store on about 3300 S State in SLC where you could buy black powder, a tomahawk, tipi supplies, or anything else to fit in your Possibles bag right off the shelf?
I think it was called ‘The Gunsmith’ if I am not mistaken.
I was a little kid when my Dad and Mom would take me in there to get supplies to hit a Rendezvous or two every year.
I was in dreamland when I would go in there thinking how awesome to live in the west a hundred years earlier would have been.
My Dad would attend those meetings and shoots you mentioned in support of a muzzleloader Deer season.
I’m sorry, I don’t remember that store MrShane, but that doesn’t mean I was never in it………?. Maybe it will come to me in a few hours. ??

I did visit other stories that specialized in muzzleloader items, I especially enjoyed the brain tanned leather products. Smoke leather smells incredible. I love good quality quill and bead work, the tribes that used floral patterns were outstanding. Hairpipe chokers, bear claw necklaces, flint and iron strikers, candle lanterns, willow back rests, large chevron glass beads from Europe, blacksmith built cooking tripods and fancy twisted metal fire place tools. Lean to tents, cured hair on bison hides, etc etc. The American store I remember most was one up on Riverton Road in Ogden. There were a couple good ones in Jackson Hole too. Banff and Jasper, each had great stores like that.

A couple years ago, I asked the owner of the store in Jasper why he no longer sold any of that stuff…… he said, “ I’d love to but nobody makes any of it anymore. The Natives don’t and neither does anyone else.”

Times gone by……..

Oh Hossy
Oh Hossy
Explain this data BS please.
And leave lumpy out this. I admire his honesty and he doesn’t proclaim to know what you think you know.
The good-ole days are gone my friend. The tech was there and you “know” that it wasn’t - in your little world that you lived in.

I do admire your passion to go back to the good -ole-days.

Btw -I’m probably older than you are. I resisted the internet because I knew better. Crazy thing is I switched over to conicals back in that era and 100 yards was a chip shot. But as you said - it wasn’t available.

Not a passion to go back. Just a realization of what the path we are on is doing.

I'm a hunter. Hunters will keep losing our more and more as Utah continues on the anything for the industry path we are on.

Can't wait for 5 years from now all the dudes crying because we have to address AI driven muzzys

Not a passion to go back. Just a realization of what the path we are on is doing.

I'm a hunter. Hunters will keep losing our more and more as Utah continues on the anything for the industry path we are on.

Can't wait for 5 years from now all the dudes crying because we have to address AI driven muzzys
So Hoss
I like your thought process on this. And I like that emerging tech is being looked at. I do question what motivates the current tech committee for scope removal on muzzleloaders. 1970-2023. Over 50 years for the muzzy hunt. 2015 utah hunters vote for scopes = 8 years. If we wanted to keep the regs for 1970 -where were all those to support it?
The tech committee has said that this isn’t about saving animals - just want it to be different from the rifle hunt.
All the hunts that we knew back then are different now - but the muzzy gets the chopping block.

The tech committee is picking on muzzleloaders without the facts to back up their claims.
Those bows from the 1970,s advanced
Those rifles from the 1970,s advanced
Those muzzleloaders also advanced.

A you tube video of an muzzleloader antelope kill at 700 yards isn’t a correct representation of the average hunter.

Neither is a 330 yard shot with a bow

Or a 7774 rifle shot.

All 3 had electronics removed and I support that. I completely disagree that tech has advanced way more with a muzzleloader vs rifles and bows. My plan is really a simple one. Expose the tech committee for their BS lies about muzzleloaders.
My article that I shared is just the beginning
And I’m an old timer that believes in keeping our rights and liberties. Let them take your scopes off muzzies and you’ll get exactly what you deserve going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom