Is anybody wanting to get out ?

L

longshot349

With the new rules , it looks like it's gonna cost $10 for a habby stamp each year and $25 more of you didn't hunt last year to stay in the points game. Thats a total of $35 each year.

My question is ; Are you guys looking for a way out , or just gonna keep at it in the future ?

As a Res, when the habitat stamp 1st came out I did the lifetime. It's only going to go up in price so you might as well get locked in.
Rick

+1 Snuff and I bought my best friends 2 boys their life time
stamps for X-mas 2010 they went from $200 to $300 this year.

Since I hunt every year, I always pay the habitat stamp, but I never pay the $25.

However, I am wondering if there is a loophole to the Habitat stamp for those that only apply for a point. It says it is a 365 day stamp, so it is good for a year from date of purchase? That could mean you can do it like you can in Utah: Apply late this year for a point and apply early next year (while your stamp is still active) without actually purchasing a stamp next year?? Not sure if that is correct, but that is how it works in Utah.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

No, and I don't see why anyone would want to "get out", CO is still way cheaper than any other western state to collect points for...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Still In!!! Their sitting on $3500.00 of my $$$$ for me and family. They will keep several hundred in fees, bit the price we pay!!!

To be honest colorado could double or triple their habitat fees or make nonresidents buy a license to aquire a point and I would still feel better about it than az or nv. Nevada nonresidents will be waiting 13+ years to hunt elk and have to pay over 1200 for the tag. Arizona youd be hard pressed to get a deer tag north of the colorado river once every 10+ years. Colorado you can get a quality tag for both every couple years.

This IS the responce I expected... Not many are gonna go away... Guess the point creep continues. lol.

My dad has 13 points and will not build points again once he draws his elk hunt. I drew unit 76 elk a few years back and have not and will not get back in the game. Still sitting on Max points in WY for elk and once i draw there will not build there either.

txhunter

Not sure if that loophole will work like Utah's. Page #1 of the Big Game regulations states habitat stamp "valid April 1 - March 31." With the Application deadline falling after the March 31 they could claim next year that you need the stamp on the deadline date and not on the date you send your applications in. I guess we will just have to wait until next year and see what they say.

I'm with your Dad. Sitting on 13 points and will probably try to draw in 2013. Got other plans next year. Won't build points again. Will probably just do some Either Sex hunts and/or muzzy hunts.

Phantom Hunter

>txhunter
>
>Not sure if that loophole will
>work like Utah's. Page
>#1 of the Big Game
>regulations states habitat stamp "valid
>April 1 - March 31."
> With the Application deadline
>falling after the March 31
>they could claim next year
>that you need the stamp
>on the deadline date and
>not on the date you
>send your applications in.
>I guess we will just
>have to wait until next
>year and see what they
>say.

You are probably correct, although the same thing happens in Utah. The actual drawing is after your "license" has expired, but as long as you apply before the expiration date, they accept it. I will shoot the DOW a question about it and see what they say.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado is the best deal going today. Why would you not build points? $10 plus $3 app fee per species and true preference points. You know what unit you will draw and when. Even if you use the points every 2 or 3 years and hunt on 2nd choice in between it is still worth getting points. I suspect the guys that said they were out really mean they won't wait 13 years again to draw a "special" unit.

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

The nonrefundable application fees are still way cheaper than almost everywhere else for a nonresident. Nonresident allocation is way higher in CO than most others too. With the true preference system,(hybrid das no nonresident tags), I think along the lines avoiding the hunts that will take too long to draw...But out of CO altogetner for that kind os $? NO!

I have been hunting Co. since 1989. Have had unit 76 about 4 times. Have killed elk in 76 &79. Always apply for 76 first choice and 79 2nd choice. Last 2 years we have not seen an elk or much sign in 79. I have been going long enough to know where the elk are supposed to be or where they always have been. I do not hunt close to a road. Very frustating for a NR hunter.I have always stayed at Blue Creek Lodge and consider myself one of the family; one could not ask for better people than the Philberns!! I for one am sick and tired of the co dow always increasing and adding fees each and every year. To me the habitit stamp was the last straw. I am not going this year and will greatly miss the friends and beautiful country. I have always wondered how othe NR hunters feel about this.

The truble with Co. is they keep change the rules on the N.R. hunters. When I started with points,N.R. could put in for RFW, everyone was in the same draw. They did away with RFW, then they made it 50-50 res and nr. Next they went 60-40 and last they went 80-20 on the best units. But the last draw was when they lowered tags in the best units. I had 13 points in 2007 and was 72 years old, when they lowered the tags for 10,201.I would have been 90 before I could draw. I use my points for archery in 61.

All I know is I have a stack of Elk points to use up and when that happens , I'm done with it. It's kinda sad that this is what it has come to , but I'll never start over again , no way.

No I am not looking for a way out, I am just frustated the way the DOW has regarded nr hunters. There is no telling how much $ that I have spent in Co over the years and that is not the point. We as nr are should not be treated as we are regarding limited draw license. My Uncle who has gone with me now for 20 years will be 80 years old this October, in fact he has spent his last 20 birthdays in Co,and the next time that he may get unit 76 he will be in his upper 80's. One should not be treated this way. I truly love going to Co and have continued to go whether I harvest an elk or not. I just don't like the system that the DOW has in place regarding license.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom