Is He A 1st Day Shooter?

BCBOY

Long Time Member
Was well into the Kamloops Lake Cali Bighorn Sheep unit yesterday and saw this guy. If you were one of the lucky 2 tag holders would you pull the pin on him opening morning or would you wait for something bigger?

P5250067_zps8cacfb79.jpg

P5250068_zps4e9ad865.jpg

P5250076_zpse6e967bf.jpg

I saw one ram over the winter in the adjacent Tranquile area that is bigger than this ram. The gamble if you had the tag would be, do the big boys from Tranquile wander into the Limited Entry unit in the Dewdrop? If I had the tag, it would take some serious scouting to answer that question.

Here's a ram that 'might' wander into the unit? Would you put all your eggs in one basket and hope he shows up or would you focus on the biggest and best that you know indeed live in the unit?

P4220097_zpsbd6069a6.jpg

P4220109_zpse4c08caa.jpg

P4220073_zps06e94310.jpg

P4220086_zps6524794b.jpg

The odds of drawing a tag are over 900:1 for the Sept hunt and over 600:1 on the Nov hunt. But a guy can dream right?

great pictures, what would these rams score? I'm trying to learn how to judge rams, this will be my first time sheep hunting. The Unit I drew is in Colorado. I was told that a 170 ram would be a great ram for that area. I'm guessing these rams are better than that but I realy don't know, would like to here your guys guses so it can help with my field judgeing. Thanks

BCBOY, both are great Rams! I wouldn't hesitate on the first Ram. You can always "hope" the other Ram walks into your unit, but you have to be prepared if he doesn't. Are you willing to wait for the larger Ram when you have really nice Ram in your sights?

If you get the opportunity, pull the trigger on the first Ram. I don't believe you will regret it. Now is the time to figure out if you will.

Just my 2 pennies.

V/R
Garion33

If I could get 40 yards or less-----that arrow would be flying!

Thanks BC for another great Ram photo.

Robb

they both look huge to me but I know nothing about sheep.lol

I am all in on the go out have fun and get the best one you can.

Awesome rams. For Cali's they are top end, and both would go well over 180 IMO.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Only if I have a bullet or arrow! ha
Yup, I'd shoot him.

Don't gamble on the "iffy" ram simply showing up when a guy is out hunting! ....Unless size/score is the only reason you're hunting sheep!
Zeke

In this particular unit, the lucky tag holder could take a ram bigger than the two I posted pics of. The draw is beyond once in a lifetime and if I were ever to draw, there is no way I would ever pull the pin on any ram on the first day. I think it would be an absolute blast to hunt every day of the season and look at a ton of rams being super picky. It does amaze me that many years the lucky tag holder shoots a bannana head in the first 30 mins they are in the unit. If it were me, I'd hunt hard each and every day just taking in the experience and probably wouldn't pull the pin until near the end of the season.

^^^^^^^^

You're correct BC,
That's where knowing a bit about the area really helps a guy decide when and what to shoot. In MOST sheep units/areas a guy would be silly to pass on rams like those but in some areas those rams would never be considered big enough.

I too like a long tough sheep hunt but I've never been in a BH area where a guy can see that many great sheep in such a short time.

It's pretty hard to compare a 142" 10 year old ram from Utah with a 175" 9 year old from AZ. They are not even on the same planet! A guy simply needs to know what and where he's hunting before a decision can be actually made.

Thanks for always posting such wonderful pictures!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON May-30-13 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]Zeke,
I totally get what you are saying about not every place is created equal. Tons of General Open Season units in this province you are lucky if you see a legal full-curl let alone worry about score. I would consider the Kamloops unit the Henry Mnts for Calis. One wouldn't wait a lifetime to draw the Henrys and then kill a 180-190 class muley the first morning of the hunt. One would be picky and look at a ton of deer first before settling down and pulling the pin. Kamloops only hands out 2 tags, 1 for Sept and 1 for Nov. There is no competition to race any other hunter to the biggest and the best. The Tranquile herd I refered too is less than 10 kms away and I firmly believe they do indeed wander in and out of the hunt area. In my opinion, the Nov tag would see the most amount of rams within the unit as the rut will bring some absolute giants in. I can only dream to get lucky and draw. Our Limited Entry system is a true lotery. There are no priority points. There is no way of knowing when lightning will strike. And just like our Lotto tickets say, you can't win if you don't play.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom