Is he a shooter???????

smokepolejohnson

Very Active Member
Would this bull be a shooter for a Utah once in a lifetime tag? I watched and videoed 6 bulls together and this one dwarfed the rest.

4881206e0da3a519.jpg

He looks pretty good - now granted I have no experience with what's in Utah, but if he's that much bigger than the other ones he was with - I'd say he's good. I have seen some in our local National Park (Theodore Roosevelt National Park) which has a lot of buffs in it and are commonly close to the road, that were old enough to have broomed the tips of their horns a bit so that they are not so pointy at the tips and their bases were usually kina cracked and beat up. Now I don't know if wild bulls in hunted populations will get enough age to look like that or not - but the ones I saw like that were monsters. Maybe just something to keep in mind.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

That would be soooo cool to be scouting for buffalo! Congrats! He looks like a shooter to me...but dang...not many of us have much experience judging buff horns...

I'll tell ya whats crazy...look in the Boone and Crockett book at the world record buff horns! HARD to believe. 2 feet long and 18 inches around.... I've seen quite a few buff in Jellystone and the Bison Range in the Mission Valley...but never saw anything that even APPROACHED 2 feet of horn!

Good Luck...keep us posted! You gonna skewer him with an arrow or whack him with a bullet?

Ernie

SCORE: 136 4/8
HUNTER: Sam T. Woodring
OWNER: Yellowstone Natl. Park
DATE: 1925

KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Length of horn: Right 21 2/8 - Left 23 2/8
Circumference of base: Right 16 - Left 15
Circumference at 3rd quarter: Right 8 2/8 - Left 8
Greatest Spread: 35 3/8
Tip to tip spread: 27

488271c92eccce16.jpg

Looking for meat or just head hunting? Old bull like that won't taste too good, but for a mount, nice bull!

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

Smoke - you better shoot him before we do.:D He's definately a shooter. Look how far above that bad boy his hump sits. Many a buff hunter has let one go because it "looked small". That is a big buffalo.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom