Is my hunting buddy crazy?

LCHC

Here is the question.

My buddy recently won the Gould's Turkey Raffle from the NM NWTF. I guess it is a fully transferable tag that includes the other turkey tags and the hunting license. After talking to an outfitter from Silver City for some reason he thinks it is worth $5000. He listed it for sale on an auction site and really thinks he is going to get $2750 - $5000 for it. He has been offered $2500 for it but thinks he can get more.

My question is do you think he is crazy (like I do) for not selling it to the guy that offered him $2500? Don't know much about this turkey other than they live in Unit 27 and they only give 2 tags a year. Are they really worth that kind of $$. Its a darn bird that doesn't fly very well.

What do you NM MM friends think? Really need bring him back to earth on this matter.

A turkey hunter will pay big bucks for that tag, especially if they need it to complete the world or royal slam. The only other place you can get them is mexico I beleive? I think there are a few in AZ but dont know if you can hunt them yet.

Arizona has 28 Gould's tags. One of the auction tags went for $5k last year.
New Mexico has 2 Gould's tags. Someone will pay more than 2500.
Not many people want to go down to Old Mexico for one....

I personally think $2,500 is a fair offer. Turkey hunting is not the typical big game trophy in NM. At the end of the day, the hunt is worth what someone will pay for it.

If he can get it more power to him. I do like to hunt turkeys,but after taking so many in CA,some literally out of my bed, I can't get excited about hunting them. The idea of having to apply for a turkey draw hunt is beyond me.

with 2500 he can buy a big butter ball and peanut oil and ill fry it up but if he can get more why not , some one will bite just make shur to tell him not to hold out for too much then it will lose its appeal .

AS stated above, its worth what someone will pay for it. This is the 3rd or 4th year I believe it has been available and each year the money that it brings is less and less. I would have to say that $2,500 is a fair offer, however due to the fact that they are only in 2 U.S. states and relatively small populations it could be worth more than that to the person who wants/needs the Goulds for the Grand or Royal Slam and is not willing to travel to Mexico to get it done. Hopefully he can get more, and if not then in the end he has an excellent tag and a hunting opportunity that most people will never have a chance at.

jeff

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-12 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the help guys! I was really hoping he wouldn't sell it and just give it to me. These are about the only turkeys that I know I could find. I was hunting deer in Jan. in Unit 27 and saw groups of 40-80 birds everyday. Not sure I could call them in but who needs to call them when you know where the roost and where they go each morning.

NMPaul you might want to buy the tag cause I'm 100% positive this is a turkey even you can find. They don't get hunted and there are lots of them down in the boot hill. I would even provide you a map with x marks the spot.

Tye, I know where a roost is and I know exactly where they go each morning. Zach and I have hunted this group of birds at least 15 times over the years and have killed ZERO.
That is our claim to fame of being the worse turkey hunters there are, though Mozey makes me laugh every time I hear about his turkey hunts.

I cant get excited about turkeys, so I wont be driving half way across the state to fail. We did have wild turkey last night for dinner and it was excellent. We had to eat the rest of last years turkey before we go kill another. Those are the house rules.:)

The Gould is a coveted trophy and hard to come by.
First of all I would use the tag, not sell it. But yes, $2500.00
would be a fair price.
I would love to have it, and not have to go to Mexico to get one.

Update on Turkey tag. He sold it for $4000. Who would of thought that this was worth that kind of $$. And there is no guarantee the hunter will get one.

Life is short. You can sit around and wait for things to come to you.(If your lucky) Or you can work you ass off and buy it.

THATS A NICE PRIZE TO WIN!SHEW

That Gould's Tag was worth more than you thought huh?
A lot of people are missing out on some exciting hunting.
They're sure smarter than any mule deer I've ever seen.
You wont see a turkey stop for one last look before he leaves!!!
he'll just go!!!!Doesnt fly well?? havent seen many turkeys huh?
That 4K speaks volumes, glad he made some money at least.

Yeah, I would much rather hit Ihop, even Denny's than get up early to go on a goulds turkey hunt. Tell your buddy to take that money. Just think of all those waffles and french toast...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom