Is this Shiras a shooter!!!!

finnman

All you moose guys, is he a shooter? This is in NE Washington.
4908cbe76c09ae58.jpg

He's too young, and the palms are too narrow and too short to go book, but he's got great point genetics that will let him book next year. Unfortunatly he wouldn't see next year because I'd pull the trigger.

Yelum

Great moose but i don't think it will make book. There are a lot of variable on whether or not its a shooter. Quality of the area, bulls seen scouting, days left in the hunt ect. I think i'd have to pass him on the moose unit i apply for.

Any bull that has more than 2 brow tines and a lazy ear is a shooter. Is he in your freezer already?

Start Throwing Lead!!! I would be willing to bet he is real close to book. I count 22 points, Nice brows, decent palms and mass. I particularly like the 4 browtines. He must be in the mid-40's. I'm saying he'll at least gross real close to 155 and bet will make the Awards Book. My 2 cents worth.

You know it Zigga! My wife had drawn one of eight "once in a lifetime tags" for a unit north of Spokane, we spotted this bull the day before the hunt started, I took that pic from the truck, he was only 15 yards away! Later when we looked close at the pic we saw he had 4 browtines on each side! I new that was the bull she should take! We finally caught up with him on day 3, she ended the hunt with one shot from her .338 win mag at 150 yards, he ended up with 10 pts. on the left and 12 on the right, a 45 1/2" spread, and yes, QUADRUPLE browtines! We saw 15 bulls in 3 days and passed on 3 different bulls over 40 inches!
4909d38c056765db.jpg

4909d3cd07527598.jpg

You'll be hard pressed to find a better bull anywhere. He looks even more impressive on the ground. Good decision. Score him I think he is book.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

who cares about the book?

That sucker makes my sexy moose book anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love all those points! AWESOME!!!

I smelled a rat from the original post. Congrats and thanks for stringing us along. Love the pics.

Great Bull. I saw this post before you posted the kill pics, I thought he was a good looking bull. Those fronts are sweet. His 45 inch spread is more than I thought from the first pic though. Congrats to your wife.

I was laughing at all of the guys saying it would not go book a few days ago. I got one 4 years ago that was 47 5/8 wide. It only had double fronts, and the palms were not as good as yours. It was only a 7X7. It only missed book by 1 inch. Yours should easy go book.
Regards Buff

Like I said earlier, great bull. Even better now that your wife put the hurt on him. Great pictures as well. Thanks for sharing. I'll guess a net score of 148, but like the CAT said, who cares about the score.

Yelum

Great, great, moose!! I would NEVER pass that up!

At one time 400" bulls were spikes. Its hard for many to believe, but it is true!

Definite book bull. I bet you are eating the steaks right now... Great moose Finn and Pumpkin.

My wife brought her moose in to be scored at the Puyallup Sportsman Show, ended up netting 152, grossing 143 1/8. Good enough to put her in the Washington book! Now the long wait for the mount to be finished!

I should be a shoe in for a Montana moose this season. I've got the points and a honey hole with decent odds. Another three months and I'll find out. Send pics of the mount when you can.

>A "shoe in"? How many
>other people have the points???
>

Sarcasm is alive and well. I still have hope though.

I've got a question about scoring moose.
I've always heard that brow tines are a huge factor in the score of a bull. According to the score sheet online though, the only difference extra brow tines make is adding to the total point score, which appears to be an inch.

So in reality, each brow tine only adds an inch to the score, and is no different than an extra point on the paddle?

This seems like I'm missing something as I've heard from lots of different guys that brow tines are everything in scoring moose.

I'm no expert but I think it's because long/good browtines increase the paddle length score so much....

If it is more than a single brow tine, it also counts on the length of the paddle. So it's almost like counting it 2 times. If that make any sense.
Buff

I can guarantee there are only a handful of shiras bulls in the B&C books that are missing 1 or both forked brows. Bulls with brows on both sides usually equate to ~6 to 12" of additional palm length on each antler or 12 to 24+" to the total score compared to a bull without forked brows on both sides. If both sides don't have forked brows the palm length measurement only goes to where the palm reaches the far side of the base.

There are totally outrageous bulls that never made B&C because they have 0 or 1 forked brows. The shiras I shot in Wyo a couple seasons ago actually didn't look that impressive. I passed up several bulls that looked a lot more impressive than mine but I knew they wouldn't score very well. My bull had forks almost 13" out on the palm so this added a bunch to his score and he made book. My rack actually fit inside another bull rack at the taxidermy shop but the other rack didn't even come close to making B&C because it didn't have forked brows.

The B&C score on moose bulls is kind of funky and it is somewhat sad that totally outrageous bulls don't make it in the book because they don't have brows on both sides!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-09 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]I'll take this one if given a tag.

How would he score?

Binoc_pic_of_15_x_12_bull_moose_-1.jpg

Thanks Jim. I knew there was a reason but the scoresheet on the B&C website really doesn't explain it very well.

That is weird that so much emphasis is put on the brow tines, I would hate to have know of both a 50" without split brows and a 45" with and similar paddles. Could make for a pretty rough decision.

49da7b432f89b504.jpg

This bull is nice also but watch for bone growth to fill in at the tops of each palm this will add some inches also.See the deep V cuts in the ends of the palms this would hurt the score a little.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom