It's open, where you putting in for?

Norman13

Elk-6b, 15, and 36
Der-6a/6c, 15, and 36

It would be cool to get the same unit for both just for the variety and novelty.

I will put in for everything. I 100% expect to draw deer and elk, and usually draw at least one other tag. Exciting!

I think trying to hunt the same units for deer and elk is a good strategy. However, I do think the good deer units are not necessarily good elk units, and vice versa.

Telling everybody where you’re applying online before the draw may be a great strategy. Maybe they will think too many people are already putting in for the unit you say and decide to do something else?

I learned decades ago that many people I stopped to talk to on the road heading in or out of camp don’t tell the truth about how the hunt is going for them. The guy that said he hasn’t seen any sign or animals parks at the same trailhead the next day, etc.

I make it a point to tell exactly what we’ve seen and where and have noticed nobody ever ends up coming into our area. I guess they thought I was lying about seeing all of those elk!!!

We still have a tag we drew last year to use - love those February Oryx hunts. Won't even scratch a plan out until that one is done.

Just a reminder to everyone (especially non-residents) that you no longer have to fill out harvest reports to apply in 2024 :). In fact, you are put in for a special tag if you do not complete the harvest survey.

Problem is people with zero affiliation with this website can google NM where to put in and this can pop up. Some are lazy and will copy and paste their application.

Or if you talk about where you applied then happen to take a nice animal and share a picture, oh boy. The background checks begin!

Applied to a late archery hunt. My buddy lives near one. Also plan on checking out some of the ski areas for a neat family trip. My wife also applied so maybe double the chance?

Hey so I'm new here and just joined to mine years of info from you guys. Can you tell where the sure draw is for 350 class bulls less than a mile from the road...;)

Seriously, with all the inner-web talk, data collection sites like insider and self help videos on YouTube there are no secrets.

Do the research, pick a spot and hope for the best. Or become independently wealthy and buy tags. Now excuse me while I scratch my lottery tickets to see if I'm hunting cow elk or a bull in the Gila this year.:D

First draw as a NR!!

Elk
Deer
RMBHS
Ant
Bby
Oryx

Hunt codes will be just about the same as I’ve done as a res as I’ve really only put in for good hunts. Come on green!

I've only been hunting for two seasons now but I put in for deer, elk, javelina, oryx again. I've drawn the past two years for deer and javelina and I'd be happy with those two again but I'd like to get in for elk more than anything. I put in strictly cow tags this time since it's for NM residents only. I guess I mainly care about the meat.

I apply for everything just to try and draw a tag or two, most I ever drew in one years apps were 5 tags. 2B bow deer, Gila 3rd season bow tag, unit 16 Antelope tag, OIL Oryx tag, Bow Ibex, filled all but Ibex, that was my fault missed twice. Need another year like that again 😍

unit 9 elk
unit 34 barbs
2c deer
pronghorn - non resident tags are fictional does not matter where you put in.

And yeah, i'd be sweating holding the OIL ibex tag. Bow tag just trying to kill a good one not the biggest on the mountain. I hear tell there's a monster 1 horn running around still but nobody will shoot him. Taxi can match that up pretty easy.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom