Jemez Mt. Turkeys

WFGinNM

My son stayed at school this weekend so he couldn't join us bothering the local turkey population. I call this bird in with two other toms Saturday morning to 27 yards.

chuckandbill003.jpg

My friend and I went back out this morning to a different area and I called these two for him, he shot them at 10 yards.

chuckandbill007.jpg

Hopefully I can get my son out this coming weekend.

--Bill

Awesome job! Congrats! Thought about going to Jemez this last weekend, but decided to go south. Thought the snow storm might have kept the gobblers quiet. Guess not! lol Congrats again!

Travis

Great job guys, those look like some nice birds. Went out this weekend and was into tom's both mornings & evenings, but couldnt get them to come in. Both tom's I roosted were surrounded by a nice harem of hens at fly down in the morning and didnt seem too interested in coming over to check out my decoys.

Does anyone have any tactics they would be willing to share on getting these henned up tom's to come in? In the past, I have had success when I am able to setup between where the tom's roosted and the trees where the hens are roosted, but yesterday the two trees where only about 15 yards apart.

Thanks!

In my opinion, that's one of the hardest scenerio's out there to bring a Tom in. I've done like you said and got between the hens and gobbler and had some success. Another way is to try to call the hens in and the gobbler should follow. I've had some pretty good success calling hens in by purring. It kind of indicates a lost hen and they come to find her. Might want to give that a try.

Travis

Calling hens can bring the Toms, like Travis said, call them quiet. Sometimes I'll get the hens attention by giving them a few keekee's followed by 3 to five anxious yelps. Some hens are broodier than others and can't seem to resist a lost bird. If you can get a couple hens to talk with you, then you can go to the more relaxed purrs and clucks (not loud putts) as they get closer but be subtle you want to sound like a few young birds that want some company. Call sparingly and don't answer every yelp that the hens give you. They know you are there and if you crank on them, you might sound a bit aggressive for a lost bird, you want to plead with them to come in.

Hope this helps,

--Bill

Great birds. Now I'm gonna have to dig up my old turkey calling DVD again so that I can remember the difference between a putt and cluck... ;-)

Both Toms I took last year were in the same situation. I just backed off, got in front of where the flock was headed, and shot the Toms as they came buy. Needless to say you have to be sneaky to put the stalk on a turkey flock, but it's not as hard as you might think. I had a buddy do the same think and he just chirped soflty on a cow elk call now and then while manuvering into position. He seemed to think it helped cover his sounds but I think he just wanted to practise for elk season. Some guys really want the experience of calling them in just like the videos, but I just really like shooting turkeys.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom