Jeremiah Johnson

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I remember as a young man breaking out my vhs tape of Jeremiah Johnson. The tape got so dark and grainie threw out the years it was hard to watch. I was happy when I got a dvd copy of it when dvds came out. I am now on my second dvd.
When I got this months issue of Eastmans it had this Tribute to Jeremiah. I thought I would share it on here with the few that may not get the hunting journal. Hope it's ok ?
This has touched my heart threw out the years. I think some of you here my share some of the same feelings. After all that is why we are here ! To share the great outdoors with others .
This was also filmed in Utah and some of it down here close to St.George.

1867scan0001.jpg

>i'll always watch it,,,,

I am no expert on this subject but you may find it interesting that Jeremiah Johnson the movie was based looseley on a real person. Bear Claw talks about cutting wood for the steamers that come up the Missouri and leaving a coin purse for payment. The character is based on a man called "liver eating Johnson" who was one of those wood cutters. Most of those guys that cut wood were constantly being attacked and killed by Indians and Mr Johnson killed one or more of the Indians and ate his liver raw. After that, his reputation grew and he was left alone. There is no doubt more to it than that but it is an interesting sidenote.

Great movie. The movie beautifully embodies the spirit and
freedom of man communing with nature and all her glory.

ELDORADO

Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnston - visited his gravesite which was moved to Cody, WY.

One of my all time favorite movies - I especially liked Will Geer.

"Grown particular?"

"Not about what I eat, just the company I keep."

The movie is based on the book, "Crowkiller", and the life of John Johnston. If you haven't read the book, you should try and find a copy. It is one hell of a story and ties in some of the characters from the movie, "The Mountain Men", like Henry Frapp and Bill Tyler. Wow, those were the days...

Take good care of your hair!!!

That is my all time favorite, next comes Lonesome Dove...Robert duvall, Tommy lee....amazing!

John Johnston or Liver-Eating Johnson is buried in Southern California according to the book about his life, Crow Killer by Raymond W Thorpe and Robert Bunker. I have the book and have read it many times. They used more than one book to come up with the screenplay for Jeremiah Johnson and the movie is not as good as the real life exploits of John Johnston.

>>>>Johnson is said to have been born near Little York, New Jersey, with the last name Garrison. Some accounts say that he joined the United States Navy in 1846, however, research in his genealogy has discovered he would have been too young during the Mexican-American War. He did go to sea, and at the time the Navy was commandeering vessels, and this may have happened to Johnson. He did say he had been in the Navy when he joined the Union Army during the Civil War. After striking an officer, he deserted, changed his name to John Johnston, and traveled west to try his hand at the gold diggings in Alder Gulch, Montana Territory. He also became a "woodhawk," supplying cord wood to steamboats. He was described as a large man, standing around six feet tall and weighing over two hundred pounds.

Rumors, legends, and campfire tales abound about Johnson. Perhaps chief among them is this one: In 1847, his Native American wife was killed by Crow Indians, which prompted Johnson to embark on an almost 12-year war against the tribe. The legend says that he would cut out and eat the liver of each man killed. This was an insult to Crow being that the Crow Indians used to eat the raw livers from their game because they believed it gave them the vitality of the animal that they ate. In any case, he eventually became known as "Liver-Eating Johnson". The story of how he got his name was written down by a diarist at the time. There were three Johnsons, nicknames were commonplace, and with Johnson's show of eating the liver, he received his name.

Another story is when Johnson was ambushed by a group of Blackfoot warriors in the dead of winter on a foray to visit his Flathead kin, a trip that would have been over five hundred miles. The Blackfoot planned to sell him to the Crow, his mortal enemies, for a handsome price. He was stripped to the waist, tied with leather thongs and put in a teepee with an inexperienced guard outside. Johnson managed to chew through the straps, then knocked out his young guard with a punch to the face, took his knife and scalped him, then quickly cut off one of his legs. He made his escape into the woods, and survived on the Blackfoot's leg until he reached the cabin of Del Que, his trapping partner, more dead than alive, a journey of about two hundred miles. However, this story was true, but the protagonist was Boone Helm, another raucous frontiersman.
Bronze statue of Liver-Eating Johnson erected over his grave at Old Trail Town in Cody, Wyoming.

Eventually, Johnson made peace with the Crow, who became "his brothers", and his personal vendetta against them finally ended after twenty-five years and scores of Crow warriors had fallen. The West, however, was still a very violent and territorial place, particularly during the Plains Indian Wars of the mid-19th century. Many more Indians of different tribes, especially but not limited to, the Sioux and Blackfoot, would know the wrath of "Dapiek Absaroka" Crow killer and his fellow mountain men.

The above information is based upon the yarns and tales told over and over through the years. The novel Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher is a good fiction source. The accurate story is told in the diaries of Lee and Kaiser who were on the Missouri River in 1868 when Johnston was given his moniker, after a rainy fight with the Sioux.

He joined the Union Army in St. Louis in 1864 (Company H, 2nd Colorado Cavalry) as a private, and was honorably discharged the following year. During the 1880s he was appointed deputy sheriff in Coulson, Montana, and a town marshal in Red Lodge, Montana. He was listed as five foot, eleven and three-quarter inches tall according to government records.

In his time, he was a sailor, scout, soldier, gold seeker, hunter, trapper, whiskey peddler, guide, deputy, constable, builder of log cabins, and any other source of income producing labor he could find.

His last residence was just outside Red Lodge, Montana where he lived in the side of a hill while building his cabin. The cabin is still in Red Lodge although it has been moved many tim<<<

not in the movie ,,,, still love the movie , its supposed to be entertainment :)

I've read one of the books and it was awesome!

Also loved the movie.
"Yep, seen it right off!"
fatrooster.

Back in the 1980's the cemetery in Los Angeles, CA where Johnston was buried needed to be moved for freeway construction or some such thing. A muzzleloader club from Utah known as the Rocky Moutainmen, lead by Lee Robertson, (the man who put Utah's youth hunter safety program in the map), along with the community of Cody, Wyoming petitioned someone in CA to move Johnston's body to Cody, Wy. The community of Red Lodge Montana objected, claiming their community should have his remains, Johnston was a sheriff in Red Lodge in later years.

I don't know the details but eventually Lee and the folks from Cody finally won the rights to move him to "Old Town" Cody, Wy. It was said the folks Red Lodge we're not happy about the decision and threaten to move him from Cody to Red Lodge under dark of night, if they couldn't have him legitimately.

Lee told me they were concerned that the boys from Red Lodge were serious so after they lowered his remains into his new resting place in Cody, they backed a ready mix concrete truck up to the hole and poured 8 yards of concrete over the coffin. Figured that would hold him for a few years.

The old rascal is still making waves, 100 years after he died, fitting!

Here's another perspective, just to be open minded about this legend. Don't shot me now, I liked the mythical version better too!

http://johnlivereatingjohnston.com/

Waugh!
DC

A great story...history. Another of the people that made these United States what they are today.

I find it amusing that Robert Redford regrets the film and wishes he had every copy, so that he could destroy them.....as though there is no value here at all!

Nature fakers crack me up!

"But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."

It's like this, huh, one at a time... Good thing they was Crow. Apaches would've sent 50 at once!

Best movie ever made! Except maybe Lonesome Dove, and The Mountain Men...

I too love this movie but Redford has become such a self righteous tree huggin azz hole that I have not watched this movie for several years.

+1 dirt, they should have hired Robert Duvall or somebody with set of snickers for that role. In my opinion, Redford's a shameless -hore! Ripped up more wilderness for money than any man in Utah and pretends he gives a $hit. Wish he'd been in that cabin when Wil dropped that griz in for a visit. Pud!

Dc

Obviously this column and movie strikes a cord with many. Kudos to Ryan Hatfield for putting pen to paper and writing down some great thoughts on an epic movie. Well done Ryan.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-11 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]Great, entertaining movie! It's one of the reasons I love muzzleloading so much. That and going to ML shoots with my Dad and 2Lumpy when I was a kid. Great memories.

The last time I looked, the movie was still not available in Blu Ray. Thought it would be by now.

I have enjoyed hearing all of the other stories of jeremiah from all of you . I had no idea Redford didn't care for the movie. I thought it was his best work ! Its to bad he has become a self rightous tree hugger.
I was surprised to see Ryan Hatfield write about Jeremiah and put in Eastmans .He being a young man and all. I thought just us old timers liked the movie. :) It was on the dish a week before the article came out. My favorite quote you guys have left out "Can't figure them people down there feedin on hog,when they could be up here feedin on elk"

he hates anyone that uses nature except he's self and he has some twisted concept that JJ and his kind caused whats we got today....hope that don't make sense or we'll start worry'en bout you Paul!

my favorite comment:

"........meanest 8itch that ever bawled for beads"

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom