Jim White vs Outdoorsman heads

Jeremy- I have used the Jim White head since it first came out. At the time it was cutting edge gear. JW's smaller size and lightweight was better than anything else. I learned to use this head. The movement for a head this size was really smooth. Way smoother than the Bogen joystick style and equally as smooth as the 700 CR2(one of my favorites when weight is not considered), but with one drawback. The tilt has to screwed tight/loose by the guide handle. Some found this to annoying. I learnd to get used to it with great success.This would be the head I used for 4-5 years. Then came The Outdoorsmans pistol grip head(along with their tripod). Loved the fact that the head was so light but only used this head a little while. I just could'nt go back to the joystick style heads(even with the panning attachment). With joystick head everytime you squeeze the release your shaking the whole set up. Hunt with buddies that use this head all the time with success. Just not for me. After some prodding from my brother(HARDCORE OUTDOORS)I have been testing The Outdoorsman's pan head for the last 7 weeks while scouting and helping friends with their Coues deer tags. I will tell you that with out a doubt this is my favorite head. I absolutely love how smooth it is. When weight is a consideration this head has to be your choice(IMO). When glassing with anything up to a 15x56 binocular or a 80mm spotting scope this is perfect. I would not use this head for heavy video cameras or 30x80 Doctors. You would be better suited with one of the Bogen/Manfrotto pan/fluid heads. The head was extremely easy to work with from the start. The tilt/pan toggles are sensitive yet lock when you want them to. I have no complaints whatsoever. I hope this helps. CDN

I have been using the outdoorsman head for 4 years now.I love it. It's leight weight and durable. What more can you ask for!

You can't go wrong with either one, I prefer the Jim White. It may be an ounce or two more than the Outdoorsman but it is built like a tank and I like the short handle. Just buy a couple extra mounting plates for your camera, video, gun rest.
BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom