Jr Mentor program ??'s

nvhunter

Thinking about getting these tags for my youngest. Just wanting to see what everyone knows about these tags. Can he put in for the controlled hunt draws? Does he have to be with a resident? Can he be with me (NR) if i do not have a license/tag? Elk, Deer, Antelope?? I do know the price is cheap enough that i want to get him in on it and send him with either myself or Grandpa. Thanks for any info!!

great program,u have to have a adult hunter,who has a tag in the same hunt,within hearing distance,it can be a resident or non resident.

not sure of the controlled hunt,check the idaho f&g website for all the info.

my son has killed 2 4x4 with this tag,well worth it ,and the great memories of watching him take care of buisness.

mario

well...i did give to IFG before i posted this...but they did not say anything about the 'other' person haveing to have a tag in the same area or hunt. I will have to check back again. thanks..i know its a good program, for the price it can't be beat especially for a nonresident.

My nephew is coming into town next weekend to go turkey hunting with me so I was just in the F&G office yesterday and I brought this up. The youth hunter has to be within hearing distance of an adult hunter with a license and same tag. This brought up another discussion in that those youth hunters wouldn't be able to apply for the youth controlled hunts if that were the case because (obviously) the adult hunter accompanying him/her would not be able to apply for those youth only controlled hunts as well. The woman at the front desk went to the back and got an answer from somebody. Take it for what it's worth, but as far as controlled hunts go, the answer I got was, if you are the one accompanying the youth hunter on his controlled hunt tag, you just have to have a tag (even a general season tag) for that same species in that same unit.

My example was, I hunt the unit 39 general elk hunt that is in November. I want my nephew to apply for a cow tag in unit 39 but I don't want to draw a cow tag myself. The woman confirmed that as long as I had a unit 39 general season elk tag (even though the dates are in November), I could be the one accompanying my (youth) nephew on a unit 39 cow elk tag if he were drawn for it (in October). You just have to have the same sepcies tag in the same unit, even if the dates don't everlap. For some reason I walked out of there wondering if I got the exact correct answer...

The alternative to this is, last year there was a youth controlled hunt in unit 44-2 (all of units 44,45 and 52). Obviously only youth hunters can apply therefore you can not put in as a group, but there are no open general seasons in any of these areas for the mentor so the youth hunter would not be able to use the Jr. Mentor program to their benefit? It just didn't add up.

I would think it is just like a junior goose/duck hunt...as long as your licenced for a controlled hunt. I may be wrong but i think they just want someone that knows what they are doing not just some dad that never hunted before deciding that this would be a cool thing to do with your kid...but like i said i could be wrong. Doesnt matter who you ask at fish and game you will get 20 different answers...I am gonna start asking that i get it in writing and they sign it for questions i ask.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I was told if your child draws a control tag or has a tag in a genaral hunting unit you can be with them as long as you have a HUNTING LICENCE for IDAHO.Not a tag just a licence.
Be very careful with the within sight or distance rule.I know several who have had issue with the DWR over this.Even around camp if you can believe it.

i beleive that is what it is...like i said get it in writing, cause i have asked the same question to different officers just to see if i get the same answer guess what i didnt...

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

That's excatly why i asked this question on here....it seems that when ever i have talked to anyone about this i get different answers. The ladies at F&G don't always seem to convince me that they know excatly what they are talking about...and it may be no fault of thiers. In my mind i would think that if they are with someone who had a license then that makes to most sense to me...but i sure could be wrong. I have trouble finding any thing in the hunting rules about this to begin with so thats why i called them and asked here.
I think the program is a great way to get and keep kids hunting.

looked in the regs on page 96 it states that must be accompanied by an adult with the same tag...also says that they cant use the deer tag for use on a lion or bear either...sometimes ya gotta find your own answers and i have to admit i was wrong so hell may be freezing over as we speak ha ha

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

I have looked into this myself as my son is almost old enough to hunt big game now. I think part of the confusion is that there is the Junior Mentored licenses and also Junior Mentored Tags. With a license you can hunt small game, birds, ect.. and thats when obviously the accompanying adult only needs a license. The rule strait from last years regulations is * Anyone hunting with this license must be accompanied in the field by an adult license holder close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices.

However if the youth gets a big game tag then the adult does also need a tag for the same species and area. That rule from the regulations also = ** Must have a Junior Mentored hunting license. The accompanying adult must have a tag(s) for the same species, valid in the same area(s). The junior mentored deer tags
are not valid for bear or mountain lion. Price not valid
for leftover nonresident general season deer or elk tags
purchased as second tags.

Now I'm not sure about the post above saying that you may not have to have a tag for the same season dates, or even same sex because it does not specifically address that, so that would be worth looking into. But like has been said before you talk to 20 different people at F&G and you'll get 20 different answers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom