July / Aug RAC Meetings

elkantlers

Long Time Member
Did anyone watch the Cental region RAC meeting last night.
It's no wonder we as Sportsmen have zero confidence in the RAC / WB system.

Long story short. The DWR is asking for a modest fee increase to cover $5 million in addition costs per year projected over the next several years due to soaring inflation.
The increases the Division are asking for are for the most part in line and not too much. For example: Resident Hunting and fishing licenses, General deer tags, general elk tags increase $6 each
doe deer increase $3 cow elk $6.
A couple I don't agree with is Swan and Crane jump from $15 to $40 and a Multi season elk tag goes from $150 to $200 even though the single season general elk only raises to $56. So, triple that would be $168.

Here's the RAC Packet. all the fee increases are at the very bottom.

The thing that I really didn't like was the Chairman and a couple RAC members kept trying to increase some of the licenses and permits even more that the Division recommended. Like charging way more money is no big deal. well, it is a big deal. The Division is asking for increases that are enough to cover the cost of inflation. So, why would the RAC want to raise them any more than what is proposed? The license and tag fees should be kept at the minimum amount needed to cover costs. We shouldn't be raising prices above what is needed to keep the Division in the black.
The Central RAC also went off on NR fees and basically wanted to screw the NR hunters who had a big fee increase a couple years ago.. I have friends and family who are NR and they pay a pretty hefty price to apply and hunt already.

The other thing that pissed me off was the Chairman kept blowing off the RAC members when they brought up the comments that had been received. He would just say that they only received six comments. Well, those six people took the time to comment, and they certainly shouldn't be minimized by that dipchit chairman .

Also, we can all bitc# and moan on here and it really doesn't do much good. If you want your voice somewhat heard, take the time to watch the short presentations by the Division and then send a comment to the region that represents you.

click on "share your feedback"

Got to pay for all those fine government workers... :rolleyes:

On the DWR home page the other day they said they were hiring... How is it that we have fewer and fewer resources in the state yet they have more and more employees? Shouldn't the division of wildlife be shrinking instead of expanding?

I watched it yesterday. The central guys were not very prepared for the fee agenda. I support the division fee increases, I think they could go higher on certain tags also. The rac guy bitching about the DH hours fee needs to grow up. What an entitled sounding cry baby. If I had my way the DH tag would cost $300 for the 3 years and only 1 Buck harvest allowed. 32 hours still required, and go back to RAC meetings. That's all I want to say on here about that.

Can hardly wait to hear the other RAC's.
One good thing is one RAC doesn't control the process (most of the time).

There is no doubt the cost of doing business is going up and the sportsman are on the hook for the DWR budget. Not an altogether bad thing.

I've never really understood all the animosity towards DH and the Multi season elk tags. It is not like they will offer X amount more tags if they go back to choose a weapon as the only option.

The Northern Region was much better than the Central. They didn't try to change the whole proposal and the Chairman is not a DA.

So just trying to figure out the players. Is Casey Snider on the RAC the same Casey Snider in the legislature introducing wildlife legislation?

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea who people are.

The price increase proposals sure seem like random stabs at guesses.

You'd think they would itemize out each increase with an reasonable explanation, not just "we think".

I do agree with the facetious comment of multi season elk going to $2000 to discourage overcrowding ?

I think the tag fee increases are probably over due. I Don’t remember the last price increase but it’s been awhile. Raising swan and crane from $15 to $40 sounds a bit extreme.
I personally would like to see the elk multi season bumped to $500.

I think the tag fee increases are probably over due. I Don’t remember the last price increase but it’s been awhile. Raising swan and crane from $15 to $40 sounds a bit extreme.
I personally would like to see the elk multi season bumped to $500.
Why would you want to see it bumped up that high?

What I think Jake is that the demand on tags dramatically increased since they started the multi season thing. That plus a 15% success on general rifle elk pretty much guarantees every wagging d!ck with an unused tag will pull out his rarely shot muzzle loader and scope to hit the hills in November. The muzzle elk season has become a circus.

What I think Jake is that the demand on tags dramatically increased since they started the multi season thing. That plus a 15% success on general rifle elk pretty much guarantees every wagging d!ck with an unused tag will pull out his rarely shot muzzle loader and scope to hit the hills in November. The muzzle elk season has become a circus.
I disagree. The only increase I’ve noticed on the muzzy is during the weekend. The week days are still a ghost town. Just like they always have been.

Until last year when I didn't harvest a spike, I went the previous ten years in a row killing a spike with my muzzleloader. I think I'll hold my ground.
Ok, then continue to deal with the added pressure. I don’t care. When i have something happen that I don’t like, if there’s anything I can do on my part to fix it or at least make things a little better, I will. But you can keep hunting the same place as everyone else, doesn’t impact me any. Have fun

Anyone bought gas lately?

I mind it amusing, same guys will ***** about not doing surveys(correct) then ***** about price increases.

If you voted Brandon, STFU.

But, 9% inflation, what do u expect?

It's still not even remotely close to the pressure the rifle hunt gets. I had never hunted muzzy elk in the past, and have spent maybe 2 days in the hills on the muzz hunt since they started the multi season hunts. I'm sure there are a few extra people that really hunt hard, but most of the extra people are not putting much effort into the muzzloader hunt.

While I'm sure there is some extra pressure on the hunt it's still not that bad.

$500 is alot for a general season low success resident elk tag.

Jake. You’re right, the pressure is nothing like the rifle season but it doesn’t take much added pressure to make it tough, especially when cow elk get lead sent their way by rifle deer hunters every time they dare stick their head out and us muzzle guys start 3 days after. Without a good storm to settle them back down, it’s pretty tough. I grew up hunting where your dads sale area is and it doesn’t take much pressure to force those elk into the jungle. And you know how nasty that is.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom