Just got back from Unit 40

chasemike

Learned alot in unit 40. Seen a lot of deer. The tree biggest ones in the 30 inch class. Biggest deer,was not that great,short forks. One of them was a heavy 4x4 right at 30, we tried stocking him for two days no luck. I am no bow hunnter, helping a friend, I can say now, anyone that hunts with a bow, I respect. Seen 4 bull elk, I would guess one of them 325 to 335, they were at Corral Creek, up by Indian Meadow. We hunted So Mtn, War Eagle, towards Triangle, Juniper Mtn. I understand that they have a forked horned season Oct 10 to Oct 24, I understand shooting the 3x2, 4x2 etc But why do they allowed to hunt forked horns, the ones we seen were great looking deer. We left Thursday, Gordon is still hunting, I will here from him today. We camped in a rv park in Jordan Valley, meet alot of nice people. Ranchers in Idaho, were very nice, we were offer to hunt two places, but we didn't. If Gordon kills a deer I will get a picture, for you guys. Thanks Mike

Not a fan of that forky hunt over there. IMO the should boost the number of controlled tags over there and eliminate that hunt.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Are there a lot of hunters that hunt forked horn season? From what I saw, I agree maybe they should add few more tags on the control hunt, but to many would not be good. Deer that we seen were in great shape, good to see. Mad because I couldn't stay another week, but being self employed, somtimes you have to come home. Mike

No, I won"t see, I will not be there. I him all for 4x2, 3x2 etc. But just to have a early season for forked horns, that are great looking deer, I don't get it. Maybe the fish & game have reason for it. The ones I saw were in great shape for the future. Mike

this hunt was originally susposed to be a youth only forkie hunt for 5 days..now its a 2 week free for all hunt & they kill around 800 to a 1000 forkies a year & people wonder what has happened to all the big deer in unit 40 !!!

Well, just got a call from the old timer, his exact words, I just seen the biggest hog I have ever seen. Non typical he guess him 30 inches high 28 to 29 wide. Points he had no clue. He was going this evening, to set a plan for Tuesday morning.I give him credit, he does not give up. I would throw the bow over the cliff. I am going back in a week for a week, if he does not seal the deal. He did said, he was seeing alot of young deer. I will keep you informed. Mike

Sounds like you and your friend are having a lot of fun. We scouted and hunted from June through early Oct when my son was lucky enough to have an elk tag in there. Saw lots of bucks and bulls, hunting solely in one area(my mistake). It is amazing how those deer and elk disperse after those horns get good and hard. We saw at least 2 deer that would honestly make book, one a insane non-typical my son named the "garbage man" since he had so much trash on his head. Those older bucks know when season is approaching and hidey hole up. After speaking with a lot of guys who hunt that 2pt season, I think a lot of deer that are bigger than 2pt's get killed by accident and by design. I think this is an unfortunate downside to these kinds of limits, where guys think it is only a 2pt and rush the shot. I saw one buck on our elk hunt that from 300 yards looked like an honest 25" 2 pt, but after close scrutiny with my Swaro spotter I found he was actually a 3X4 with less than 2" forks that where very thin. I could not even tell with my 8x binos within reasonable rifle range in the shade he was in. I think this is another arguement to get rid of this 2pt hunt.

Has there been any push towards,the fish game , to limit it for the youth only? It is a great area, from what I have seen, seems like a waste. I am from California you know how our deer herds are they suck. So when you see a state with promise, you hate to see a hunt like this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom