Kaibab early or late?

B

Bura Nut

1. Who drew a kaibab tag and what hunt do you have?
2. Are you scouting?
3. Are you using a guide?
4. Have you drew this tag before and what happened?

I am pumped for the hunt, I have late west side..............
Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Daughter 12AE Muzzleloader (late-Nov 5th), Yes! Every month Scouting, No guide, No muzzy tag before but 12AE & 12AW. Successful both times! ***Special Thanks goes out to my Amigo Friend from California!***

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-10 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]How about the October youth doe hunt Allen???? :7 My little 11 year old princess has THAT tag!! Sorry, I couldn't resist! ;)

To answer your questions; No scouting or guide for us for the Youth hunt. We've been there enough for this particular hunt. Suppose that answers your last question; yes, been there with both of my boys for their 'first deer' as well! ;) Looking VERY much forward to this hunt with her!

Sincere good luck to all of those with tags!!

S.

:)

2006 early east side 29 inch heavy 6 by 7.
2009 early east side 31 inch 4 by 4.
I hunted with Duwane Adams.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]>>2006 early east side 29 inch heavy 6 by 7.<<

And I remembered writing about it!!

Here's the snippet about your buck from the Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine article.

The Foster Buck​

Walt Foster?s bee-keeping business had done well over the years. In addition to the usual deer hunts in several states, the 54-year-old Arbuckle, Calif. resident had killed a Dall sheep in the Northwest Territories and a 9?8? Kodiak Island grizzly bear, a 67-in moose and an inland grizzly in Alaska. For him, though, drawing a Kaibab tag for the 12A-East early hunt with only one bonus point in hand was a coup of sorts.

?Everyone kept telling me the only way I'd ever get a Kaibab permit was to spend many years applying. So when I checked the drawing results, I was pumped with excitement,? he said.

After talking to two of his friends who had hunted with Adams in the past, Foster booked his hunt. He would hunt with Frank Lopez, one of the outfitter?s most experienced guides.

On the first morning, they hunted the same high-elevation area where Honzalek and Sewell had started out. They spent all day on the ridges but didn't see any deer other than does. In fact, they noticed many of the fresh tracks were headed down to the lower country. That's where they headed the second day. They drove the paved highway down off the plateau and took the dirt road south into Houserock.

?We found one decent buck. He was about 22 inches wide but had a lot of points. While we watched him, he kept looking around and finally took off. We never did figure out what spooked him,? Foster said.

The next day, Frank?s brother Al went along with them to the same area they had gone the previous day.

?We were just south of the East Side Game Trail, the road that goes all the way from the bottom to the top of the mountain. As were glassing, a big buck suddenly jumped up and took off. By the time I grabbed my rifle and put the scope on him, he was about 350 yards out and moving through the trees. My first shot was low and behind the buck. So I led him a bit more and fired again. The bullet from the .300 WSM hit him in the neck and rolled him,? Foster said.

The heavy-horned 7x6 buck had a 29-inch spread and several ?cheater? points growing off both antlers. Frank Lopez and Adams measured it and came up with gross score of 205 inches.

Foster was elated. ?I was excited before the hunt began. I was doubly so when I walked up and saw the antlers on that deer. For me, it was one of my memorable hunts,? he said.

5686foster1.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Walt, I remember you and the buck. I remember Frank Lopez guided you and man what a toad you shot. We had Steve from Dicks Sporting Goods with us in camp. That was a good camp. We had Steve Ziesser as well. There were 4 deer 190 or bigger in camp. Beautiful weather, good people............... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]
Here is Walt's buck from this past season...

5935kaibab_09_014.jpg

It was great seeing you so happy. It was a TOUGH hunt and you did awesome! I still can't believe you drew again so quickly.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

12Awest early Yes will scout , no guide, saw largest deer ever helping on a early hunt in 12 a a few years back
Last year had 12 a east late. Late Kiabab is boom or bust

Drew early west side tag in 05 very warm shot 4x7 on last day, drew east side muzzy tag this year hoping to do a little better DYI

2999040_40.jpg

four of us drew 12a West early. DIY. I have had this tag 5-6 times and I have yet to hunt high. Never really even spent anytime up top except to drive in and out. This year I might stay up and see if I can do any better.

I usually see 40-60 deer per day but I have yet to pull the trigger on anything yet. I want to get something bigger than my biggest.

Good Luck to everyone this year.

Guys;

If I am out of order, just say so but I know of several good guides that have openings, for the early and late kaibab hunts.

I personally think that Dwayne Adams, is the MAN in Kaibab, period.

But if he is booked up and you need a suggestion, please let me help.

I do this for free,

Steve Cheuvront
602-373-8637

Just to let everyone know. Duwane Adams is NOT booked up.
This is going to be an exceptional camp this year.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

I don't know about everybody else but I'm just a working stiff with four kids trying to survive off of a teachers salary. A guide is not an option for me.

Not trying to make excuses but I have never really even considered a guide. I did use Duwane Adams map service about 7 years ago when my wife drew a unit 10 trophy bull tag.

Thanks for the offer but if I get a good deer I will have to do it by myself.

Good Hunting

Huntazido;

Hey bud, this is monstermuleys, and you are family.

There are many guys that will lend you a hand, not me because kaibab is not my strong suit, but other guys and gals are ready and willing to help, just ask and see.

S.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom