Kamas Unit for Moose

fishnut

What is the skinny on the Kamas unit for moose? is it mostly public land and are there some decent bulls on it? I have 15 points in Utah for moose and I'm starting to hit the panic button on what unit to put in for. My eldest son will be leaving for 2 years next winter and I'd like to draw a tag before he leaves so he can experience it with me. I know the Wasatch unit better and have some places there I think I could shoot a good bull but I don't want to wait another year if I can help it, more for my son than anything. What does everyone think?

Good luck to you and your son. Darn that 2 year time off from hunting. :) granted I wouldn't trade my 2 years for anything but it's still hard to be away from it that long.

I don't know the Kamas unit, but if you don't draw, I'd say it's worth 2 years of bonus points only, so you can share the experience. My best hunt ever was my Wyoming sheep hunt because I got to share it with my son. Good luck

Chet doesn't really know much about moose, but the guy has the right idea. haha Just razzing you Chet... Keep puting in for the unit you want and they buy points for 2 years if you do not draw.

That said, the Kamas unit can and does produce some great bulls every year. It is a little harder to hunt with the terrain and some private lands. I took a friend in there a couple years ago and he shot a nice 47" bull. If you did decide to try Kamas, give it a good scouting and I think you will do ok.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Thanks for the help guys. The problem is the #2 son will be gone if I wait the next 2 years so I can't win that way but such is life.

I gave my 2 years off hunting, made me work harder so that the time got goin by faster. I think it's a 6's situation for you. Put in and hunt an unfamiliar area, just for the expierience, or wait for the right time to come. Moose is a once in a life time deal for most hunters, why waste a good thing. It you wait for son #2 to get back from those 2 years, that's a total of 4 more points in your bag. Could make it alot easier to draw that Wasatch permit.

Whatever you do, good luck to you and your boys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom